Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Engine cut out today and won't run. something to do with injector electrics?
    Got fault codes:

004160 - supply voltage A for injectors circuit malfunction P1040 - 006 short to plus intermittent, freq 2, 1856rpm

and

008518 - supply voltage for fuel injector grp A : Open circuit P2146 - 009 - open or short to ground intermittent, freq 9

Likely to be a failed injector.

A8 tech advised disconnecting one injector at a time. Engine should run with faulty one disconnected but not when all four connected. Thanks A8, I am giving that a go....

-------------------

Problem at the moment is how to pull connectors off the injectors. There is some kind of latch that I can't release and I don't want to break the plastic. I suspect there is a fancy tool for this. Anyone know how to disconnect without it? The connector on my injectors is tiny - about 8mm x 6mm - and should pull off vertically.

I have measured the resistance of the injectors from the connector at the end of the engine block. All four have same resistance which looks good. The return wire for each is connected in pairs. On one pair, the return wire has a connection to ground, the other pair is not grounded. I suspect there should be no circuit to ground on any of the injectors.

Any help welcome...

Patrick

Puzzling thing is the car has done 140k, all injectors are original (date coded) and I've had the car just 500miles. Am I just unlucky.. are the others on their way out...

0 0 0

2. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 2006 2.0tdi engine failed a couple of days ago. It has 52k miles on it

Ive got exactly the same two fault codes as you have. Its only four months out of the manufacturers warranty.
    Ive asked audi Uk for a goodwill contribution, but am not hopeful.
    A new injector is being quoted at £433!, before any labour.

Is there anything simple these codes could represent rather than a faulty injector?

0 0 0

3. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    removed
    Last edited by a8 tech; 05-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

4. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The wiring harness

0 0 0

5. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    Its one or more of the injectors and when one fails so the circuit fails, use long nose pliers to remove the plugsAttachment 7781

Remove the cylinder head cover and disconnect the 2pin connectors from all pump/injector elements.

On every element measure the resistance between a pin of the connector and the element housing.

Replace the pump/injector element on which you can measure a resistance (short circuit to earth).

To prevent renewed resistance when replacing a pump/injector element also replace the wiring loom for the elements in the cylinder head
    Second cylinder from front (is it 2 or 3) is the one with resistance to ground (170 Ohms). Engine runs with it disconnected. Thanks for confirming no special tool for connectors.

Thinking of taking it steady and putting new one in myself. Then if there's a next time it won't be such a big deal. I've read there are stretch bolts to replace etc. Planning to use Erwin online manuals for info.

Looking at injectors on ebay. Best at moment is 250 euros new from Germany with my part code. In the past few months a couple of folks have sold ones which they bought at full wak and didn't need as loom was only fault in the end - typically fetched £150. Bet they're not pleased.

Cheers & thanks
    Patrick

0 0 0

6. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    removed
    Last edited by a8 tech; 05-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

7. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips A8. I'll be putting them into practice....
    Bought a secondhand injector from Germany today. Let's see if this turns out to be a good or bad idea???? Took this route after asking local dealer for prices today. Here they are for future reference:

Parts only -
    Exchange injector unit £541
    New injector unit £714
    New injector wiring loom £ 77

Parts and fitting -
    Exchange injector unit £ 873
    New injector unit £1046
    New injector wiring loom £ 88

So the labour is £330 for an injector swap. What's that 3.5 hrs?

I find this quite shocking. I'm sure Audi could charge less for the exchange units even if the new ones are dear.
    Spoke to an injector refurbishers in Yorkshire who said for the first few years the manufacturers (in this case Siemens) don't release parts to protect the dealers interests. After another year or so it may be possible to get these injectors refurbed - hopefully for a bit less than £540!!

Studying the manual now to make sure I don't **** the job up.
    Must recommend https://erwin.audi.com website to anyone who's not been there. This is the official place for VW group workshop info. For 4 Euros an hour you get unlimited access to all service documentation for you exact vehicle. It seems to be exactly the same as the dealers use and it's kept bang up to date with commonly occuring known faults etc. too.

Wish me luck...

0 0 0

8. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't believe how expensive the parts are - you could buy a whole engine from a crashed car for much less! I have piezo injectors too - I just hope they don't fail!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-VW-MK5-GO...item27addb4884

0 0 0

9. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you'll find you'll need to modify a bit of this engine as its meant to go in sideways (transverse). A4s run lengthways (longitudinal). Lord only knows what problems you'll come across trying to fit that.
    I'd rather repair a good KNOWN engine.

If its chucked a rod or similar that might be a different story.
    2006 A4 saloon 2.0T S-Line Special Edition.
    Mauritius Blue - Xenons, Bose, Heated Valcona, Cruise, Colour DIS, Ipod, Revo. Big Smile.

0 0 0

10. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Picked up the bits to go with the injector at the dealer today.

There is a kit of parts. In it there are two large O-rings which is the main thing people mention replacing every time an injector is taken out. Also the kit has a new adjuster grub screw for the rocker arm and a mating "ball pin" that goes on top of the injector. The manual says these need to be replaced if a new injector is fitted or if the old parts are worn. I suppose the cup shape on the original rocker adjuster screw will wear to suit the old injector and won't fit snugly into a new one (or a second hand replacement for that matter). The kit also includes a small o-ring to go with the ball pin.

The kit costs £22.60. (Not so bad as I'm sure I'd read the seals were £60?)

Got stretch bolts for the injector too.
    Manual is contradictory regarding renewal of bolts for rocker rail. Dealer advised not normally renewed so won't bother.

Funny bit was the parts guy said he had just put the same parts kit out for their workshop job this morning. "D'you do many injectors?" I asked. "No it's just a coincidence" was the reply. Coincidence my *rse!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast