Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Job done... for now. Followed manual to the letter and second hand injector seems to work ok. Setting rocker adjusters is a bit scary as getting them too tight could do serious damage when the engine turns over. Made a few tools from pictures in the manual - slide hammer to pull injector and press for pushing back in. The press method is interesting - it compresses the spring on the injector while the seals hold the injector from sliding home then as the force is increased the seals slip and the spring quickly drives the injector hard down onto its seat with a sharp clang. A straight edge showed the injector is down level with all the others.

Things I've noticed now the car runs:
    Car used to be lumpy at 1800rpm like many other people have reported and idle was lumpy with the engine half warmed up. Particularly the day the injector failed there was slight hesitation/missing for most of the 20mile journey. This seems to have gone away with the new injector although I'm paranoid about it and keep thinking road vibrations are the engine missing. I suspect that the roughness before was the development of the electrical fault in the injector.

The rocker ball pins on all the injectors had warn pretty badly and there was a lot of slack. Putting the rocker shaft back after injector replacement means they all have to be adjusted. The top end of the engine is much quieter now - used to be tappety. Manual says to replace worn ball pins and there in the £22 kit might think about doing them incase they've worn through the case hardening - not a big job.

Next - plan is to look inside the failed injector. I've read about the common cause of failures on a forum:

"Re: Diesel injector fault

I don’t know how frequent is in your country, but in my country (RO) is very common
    The information came from other people’s experience and, believe me, there are 17 pages about this problem.
    I think it can’t be prevented. An electrical coil inside injector became hot and burns making injector useless. After that, the engine stops. You can restart the engine only if you disconnect the harness from the defective injector. In this case, the engine will work in 3 pistons
    As I told you before, depends on when the injectors was changed. Since mid of 2007 the new injectors appears to be ok (other people say mid of 2008)

In 2008, it seems that Siemens finally managed to fix the problem in their injectors.
    If you bought the injectors just 2 months ago, then I think you won’t have any more problems…
    VW never replaced the Simens’ injectors with others made by Bosch. They continued to use both of them until they dropped the Pumpe-Düse-System (mid of 2008)."

Just maybe I can see the failed spring they talk about and do something with it??? In time for the next on to go.

Thanks for you help on this one A8tech.

Patrick

1 0 0

2. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Result, as I mentioned ages ago the injectors are the fault and the loom is normally only damaged by the operator removing and damaging the connections.The mods could use this thread as a sticky
    Well done Patrick
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

3. Re: Piezo Injector Failure? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    .The mods could use this thread as a sticky

0 0 0

4. Re: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just an update on mine...
    As it was only four months out of warranty, audi Uk contributed 40% to the cost of the repairs. I needed a new wiring harness too apparently as a couple of the wires were broken on that.
    Bill inc labour from the *********** came to £529.
    I wasnt allowed to keep the offending injector as apparently they are returned for refurbishment.... How convenient.

0 0 0

5. Re: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting read guys, thanks for posting. I have a B7 2.0 TDi 170 and had the injector problem which was remedied by a local garage at a total cost to me of just over £700....the car was only about 4 or 5 months out of warranty but I hadn't lodged a claim with Audi Uk - incidentally does someone have their contact details? The car ran fine until last night.....just as I pulled into my drive the engine cut out and didn't restart . I tried again this morning but the scenario was just too fresh and familiar for me to not be so p---d off. 2 injectors in as many months???? Could this be??? What shall I do? There's no way I'm forking out for another hefty repair bill.

0 0 0

6. Re: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Audi customer service 0800699888

Did you have your wiring loom replaced at the same time as the injector? Only reason I ask is that if you dont have the full diagnostic that Audi ********hips do, then the fault codes generated could also indicate a faulty loom or a faulty injector.
    Incidentally my wiring loom needed replacing too ( It was about £60 for the part)

0 0 1

7. Re: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. I didn't have the wiring loom replaced only the injector but the car had been running totally fine since so wouldn't a faulty wiring loom have been evident at that time?
    I spoke to Audi Customer Services. They can't offer any goodwill on the previous repairs as they were carried out by non-Audi garage. They recommend I get the car to Audi for them to carry out a proper diagnostic check and they'll take it from there. If it's something like the injector again then they can consider goodwill from that point.
    I don't want to take the car back to the garage which carried out the repair a few weeks ago for fear that they will just tell me it's one of the other injectors and not the one they replaced. Should I expect the other injectors to fail in time until they have all been replaced? Surely not.

0 0 0

8. Re: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im not sure how a faulty harness would manifest. The audi garage who did the work on mine told me it wouldnt affect it. Mmmm.

I dont recall have any symptoms prior to the injector failure. However since then Ive occasionally felt, on occasion the engine just hesitate when Im doing a reasonable speed on the motorway. Never enough to see a drop in rpm, and only for a split second. Im probably imagining it, and hasnt happened with cruise control on. I would never have noticed if i wasnt being a pessimist and expecting another problem.

0 0 0

9. Re: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The engine hesitancy isn't your imagination I'm afraid.....it's mine too!!
    This trait was very prominent before the injector failure the first time round. On Sunday, however, it hesitated a bit only shortly before shutting down so not much warning really.

0 0 0

10. Re: Piezo Injector Failure, and subsequent detection and repair. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats not good news, as Im selling it to a family member!

When i say it hesitated, it was only a very brief hesitation, it was only milliseconds long, certainly not long enough to see a reduction in rpm. Not long enough to even glance at the rpm gauge.

Is this what you had, or was it a different symptom?

0 0 0

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast