I've driven VW cars (mostly Golfs) for the past 22 years. My current model is a 2008 Golf 1.4 TSI 140bhp GT sport and is probably the best of all the models I've driven over the years. I don't really like what VW have done with the new Golf in terms of styling (particularly the rear lights which look very naff). More importantly, they've delisted many of the GT Sport models from the Irish market.

So, I'm looking at buying a new Audi A3 instead. Specifically, the A3 5-door 2.0TDi 140bhp model.

A few general questions that folks out there might be interested in commenting on:

1. General thoughts on the A3 2.0 TDi?
2. Would you recommend this over the Golf GTD?
3. What extras are "must haves"?

Then, I'm picky about the audio side of things and will minimally upgrade the standard CD/Radio to the Audi Symphony option. A few specific questions on this:

1. Is the Symphony any good? I upgraded my Golf one to the RCD500 which has 6 speakers and a 6-CD changer. It has a good sound and I'd want the Audi system to be just as good. The RCD500 upgrade cost me 700 euro whereas the Symphony upgrade is "only" 415 euro - which makes me suspicious.

2. Is it worth getting the Bose system for the Audi (700+ euro!)? Is this INSTEAD of the Symphony option or IN ADDITION to it?

Any advice/insight much appreciated.

JB