1. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Genius! Worked a treat! Thought I was in for an afternoon of pulling the door apart!

Thanks for the help!

0 0 0

2. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have now had a conversation with the service manager at the garage , and it appears there was some confusion , the receptionist when reading cables on the diagnostic report , jumped to wiring , when the cables referred to were bowden cables ,which is in line with the answers in this thread ,
    Also the manager tells me this is now the subject of a service bulletin , ie a known problem with B6 Passats , he is going to find out if VW will contribute to the repair cost as my car is a 2005 , some hope !!

0 0 0

3. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My rear offside passenger door failed and I did the door handle pulling and door slamming and it fixed it. It's now broken and fixed about 6 times and now nothing is working. It will still open from the inside.

I took the inner door card off and tried taking the central part of the door off but couldn't get it off. Put all the bolts for ot back in and now have realised all the door clips are jammed solid in the door and I can't get them out without breaking them.

Really fed up with it and have no option now but to bring it to the dealer and pay out just 2 get the back door to open properly!

0 0 0

4. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The door clips often get stuck/break, you have to buy more. The metal carrier comes off after you pull out the two bungs, lower the window and unscrew the window retaining bolts. (Left hand thread).

0 0 0

5. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd broken many clips before installing speakers and things but the ones in the Passat seemed extra stiff and hard 2 remove.

Is it just a matter of re-attatching the handle or is it likely that something is broken? Can I permanently fix it back in place with glue or something?

0 0 0

6. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Brilliant, had the problem with the doors not opening from the outside on my passat estate (2006). Logged into this forum for the first time a few minutes ago and tried the pulling inside handle and then pulling outside handle at same time.

it has done the trick - both drivers and passenger doors are now both working.

thanks!!

0 0 0

7. Talking Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smiggy9 View Post
    Well well well!!! I saw an excellent thread on this site with a similar problem. One member said that they got a fix by opening the door, holding open the inner handle and then pulling the external handle. I went out to my car after work to go home and tried it, and it worked! (for the rear door) I felt the external handle kind of re-engage with something, there was a slight click. I then closed the door and voila! it could then open easily enough.
    I tried the same with the front passenger door but this didn't do the trick. Perhaps there is a different kind of fault with this door. I'm going to get WD40 blasted into it, as has also been mentioned in that thread, then I'm going to wait a wee while for the weather to improve a bit......
    Ran into the door problem described in this thread. Thought I would have to strip the door... But the above seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the information and thanks to the original poster.

Alan

1 0 0

8. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks to Smigg9: my 2006 Passat had the front passenger door blocked (would not open from outside - only fron the inside). VW quoted me £130+, got it sorted out by local garage for £50; the next day the rear door was blocked - as if the virus was spreading - but this time with the child lock on...!!!! This was going to cost more for sure. I was supposed to take it to the same garage tomorrow (8 Feb.10) but after reading Smigg9's post I just went out and tried it and BINGO!!! IT WORKS ! Smigg9, you have just saved me the best part of £100; TO RECAP : pull the inside lever and then pull the outside handle (lower the window of course) ; I think I pulled them both at once as well. It worked after 2/3 attempts.

0 0 0

9. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This worked well for me to but didn't last long. I've now done it so many times that it no longer works.

It seems to be that when the door handle is pulled when the car is locked, it disconects it.

Can anybody explain why it happens?!?

0 0 0

10. Re: Doors won't open from the outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have had the same problem with front passenger door since November and dealer asked if they could repair it while in for service and I declined as the door was OK on the day that I took it in. Now thanks to this forum the door is opening from the outside. Saved some hard earned cash, LOL

Thanks to all.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast