Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Emissions Warning Light On, Fault code reads misfire...but she runs just fine!

1. Emissions Warning Light On, Fault code reads misfire...but she runs just fine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello can sombody help?

I've just bought a S4 quattro cab and have a new love in my life. Problem is she's sick; after driving my first 100 miles the emissions control unit warning light came on. Diagnistics reads engine misfire in all the cylinders. Turns out the fella I bought it off spent £400 on new coil packs trying to rectify this problem; this worked but it did come back on now and again.///hadn't been on for a while apparently. Mmm.

There is absolutely no noticable affect on performance, not does the engine misfire. When I took her into an Audi garage recently tp check out the fault codes, they couldn't find any misfire and cleared the fault. After a road test the light stayed off.

Now it back on and i've been reading a few posts about cleaning MAF filters and also adjusting the spark plug gaps; wider/normal spark plug gaps of .035-.045 inches might cause a misfire? A guy in a post gaped them to .022-.025 and this seemed to clear the misfire (he had also replaced the coil packs).

Has anyone experienced anything similar or can any tell me if this gaping stuff hold the answer?? Thanks very much!

0 0 0

2. Re: Emissions Warning Light On, Fault code reads misfire...but she runs just fine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just spoke to Stafford Audi. Apparently all coil packs/spark plugs and gaps were checked. Doesn't sound like there's a straightforward explanation here, they thought it might have been a improperly cleared fault code. As the light's come back on, it ain't at all.

Sounds like no one, including audi, has the foggiest clue! A glitch possibly....

0 0 0

3. Re: Emissions Warning Light On, Fault code reads misfire...but she runs just fine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwoodward View Post
    Just spoke to Stafford Audi. Apparently all coil packs/spark plugs and gaps were checked. Doesn't sound like there's a straightforward explanation here, they thought it might have been a improperly cleared fault code. As the light's come back on, it ain't at all.

Sounds like no one, including audi, has the foggiest clue! A glitch possibly....
    Have you tired the maf route? I have the same issue although its only just happened a day or so a go so I will keep you up to speed with what happens to mine
    Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Convertible 200+ BHP
    See it here and let me know what you think! : https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=81930
    Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/555senna

0 0 0

4. Re: Emissions Warning Light On, Fault code reads misfire...but she runs just fine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MAF filters....nice one Jiggy will find out if the guys at Stafford Audi had a look at that and let you know. No noticable effect on performance, just the annoying orange glow of the ECU light right?! If that doesn't sort it i wonder if i should accept it's a glitch....audi want it "for a couple of days" to "test some parts from another car". Sounds like they don't exactly know what's wrong and very expensive at the same time.

0 0 0

5. Re: Emissions Warning Light On, Fault code reads misfire...but she runs just fine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jiggy guys at Stafford Audi tell me MAF problems would show up on diagnostics....didn't think that would be the problem. Your light still on?

0 0 0

6. Re: Emissions Warning Light On, Fault code reads misfire...but she runs just fine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have just read the following - can anyone verify if this could be a root cause? Had a brake warning light on when i last visited Stafford Audi, they replaced a bulb.

"Brake light switches can be a problem, it has two switches in one, half puts the stop lights on, the other tells the computer that you are applying the brakes, so it can turn off the fuel injectors, if the engine is coasting, saving fuel and cutting emissions. The engine management light or EPC (Electronic Protection Control) will be on sometimes and the engine will run normal."

0 0 0