Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good news! I was given some tips from some of the guys on the BRISKODA forum about the nsr wiring loom and problems caused by the washer fluid pipe leaking, giving everything in the area a good wash.

I took a look in the bowels of the CD changer compartment this morning to find it swimming in washer fluid. Result: the block of 3 multi-pin connectors (one black, one white, one dirty yellow, all mounted in a row in front of the light cluster) were saturated and had clearly been suffering for a while. The worst one of the 3 was the four-pin (dirty yellow) one for the tailgate lock switch and motor wiring. In fact, one of the wires (the black/blue one) was so bad, it fell off its terminal.

A good clean-up, a spray of contact treatment oil and a by-pass wire for the black/blue wire later and normal service has been fully restored in the central locking - no gremlins whatsoever. I've been using the car all day since sorting the problem this morning and it has behaved impeccably, so I can rest easy now.

As for the root cause - i.e. the washer fluid leak - that was due to the join in the pipe (running parallel to and underneath the wiring loom) having popped apart, but not quite parted fully. Regardless, it was enough to cause it to leak. A quick clean up, a dab of vaseline and a quick push back together (with a positive click) and that is also now water-tight once again.

So, all sorted, and not a penny spent!!! To say I'm chuffed would be an understatement.

For Geoffrocks: Yours is the exact same model as mine and might be suffering from exactly the same problem. If you're parking yours on a slope with the back end facing down hill, the multi-pin connectors referred to above will probably be getting a wash every time you wash-wipe the back window, and just to exacerbate things, they may then also be sat immersed in a pool of washer fluid when the car is parked up on your drive.

Genuine thanks to all that offered tips on possible causes - much appreciated. Hope my findings help others with similar problems.

Best rgds,

Lampman

0 0 0

2. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2002 octavia(sdi) estate with the same problem and wipers working on thier own, sun roof opening and closing. Went to local dealer and was told the problem was the Convenience Control Unit. Trouble is I cannot find where this is as I would have a look to see if I can repair it myself (I'm a electronics engineer) or get the part number and see if I can buy another one cheaper elsewhere. The dealer quoted me £300 for a supply and fit. Hopefully this is the same as mine.

0 0 0

3. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    many thanks its all fixed, looked in the area you said and yep their was water. it must be caused by the rear washer freezing and when the rear wash wipe was operated it forced water out of the connection on mine the connection hadnt come off. once again thanks, its saved alot of money.

0 0 0

4. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Result! Glad to hear you got it sorted, only too pleased to offer advice based on what was causing mine to behave as it did.

Rgds,

Lampman

0 0 0

5. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Lampman/Geofrocks.
    Apologies for not replying sooner I have been away and not able to get to my emails.
    I removed fuse no 38 a week or ago, this isolates the central locking unit and filler flap not aware of anything else having been affected. I have not been able to track down a free wiring diagram.
    This enables me to open the driver’s door only manually using the key and once inside I can the open all other doors manually.
    I have noticed a similar problem experienced by Geoffrocks with the boot lock closing automatically when opening with the key, even with controller isolated – fuse 38 removed. This is does not always happens, I overcome this by depressing the boot door handle at the same time as turning the key in the boot lock.
    I have been using the car for a week with no problems, other than the inconvenience.
    Not sure where to go from here, other than call an auto electrician, I am very reluctant to take to a main dealer. It may improve with the drier weather, although this obviously is not an acceptable long term solution.

0 0 0

6. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Geoffrocks/Lampman.
    Forgot to mention.
    Will check my CD changer and washer pipework etc for leaks. Will try the rear washer to check for evidance of water and trace the pipework. Hopefully I will find the cause and repair.
    Thanks for input and time.

0 0 0

7. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mawb,

If yours is anything like mine and geoffrocks', then you hopefully shouldn't need to go through the tortuous process of trying to trace the pipework from the washer nozzle on the tailgate. Instead, proceed as follows:
    1. Open boot.
    2. Open left-hand compartment in inside of boot (i.e. where the CD changer is if it's an Elegance).
    3. Look into bottom of this compartment for a pool of washer fluid. If there's any there, that's your problem.
    4. The (3x) multi-pin connectors (one black, one white, one dirty yellow) sit straight in front of the NSR light cluster, directly underneath the CD changer (if you have one).
    5. To gain good access to everything that needs attention, remove the CD changer (just 4 Torx head screws and it will lift out - easy).
    6. Clean/dry the multi-pin connectors and spray a bit of WD40 - or better still, contact treatment oil (Electrolube is good) - onto the terminal pins to promote a better contact and repel moisture.
    7. Ref the source of the leak, look for the black washer pipe that is slightly hidden underneath the main loom running for-to-aft in the bottom of this compartment. It has an obvious join that has probably popped apart. Push the join back together (all the way 'til it clicks together) and that should sort the leak itself (i.e. the root cause).
    As the great saying goes, reassembly is the reverse of removal. Job done.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

2 0 0

8. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Lapman

Many many thanks for your prompt, full and expert response, the step by step approach is just what I needed. I hope its the same problem.

I recall my wife had a problem on one occasion last week with the rear wiper motor intermittently operating etc.

It may have to wait until the weekend till I can investigate further as I dont have a garage and it dark when I get home. Will keep you informed of progress.

Regards.

0 0 0

9. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Lampman

Thanks as well, have just had a look and found the plugs and sockets, sadly also found the washer hose as you mentioned mine had come slightly apart as was still getting some water through but also spraying these connectors. Now I have to go and find where I can purchase some as the have corroded and now needs to be replaced. So it is a trip to ebay and god forbid the dreaded dealership.
    Last edited by sneaks; 26-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.

0 0 0

10. Re: Octavia- Central locking keeps locking. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

Looked on ebay for connectors and have found some under Block connectors, but not the same colours. Contacted dealer and was told they can supply the pins with the wiring attached at a cost of £3.78 + VAT each. So am going to look at another way maybe terminal block inside a waterproof box. Dealer asked for the chasis number and the part number, which if anyone wants I will post the part numbers on here, if they have a 2002 Skoda Octavia 1.9sdi estate probaly the same on other models aswell., but wouldn't like to say for definate.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast