I have a 2007 (57) A6 saloon and had a minor bump in the ice (offside front corner). On casual inspection it looks like there are only a few sratches in the (body colour) bumper paint and the headlight has a small amount (maybe 5 mm) of play.

I have reported the accident to my insurance company and they have scehduled a repair for a few weeks time.

However, I would live with the scratches and save myself the insurance excess provided there is no deeper underlying damage. I haven't yet asked the insurance company if I am in for the excess anyway (due to the third party) claim. If they waive the excess if I waive the repair, what is the likelihood of there being any more serious damage below? The bump was at between 5-10 mph and the damage to the other vehicle was limited to a minor dent in the offside front wing.

I tried searching for a diagram or photos for front bumper removal but could not find model specific information. I believe that behind the plastic bumper there is a heavy galvanised 'fender' that would probably take a 5 mph impact without issue. Does anyone know if this is on shear pins or some other device to absorb an impact?

The second hard learned point is that the hoop tread pattern Continental tyres on this model do not offer the same winter perfromance of a block tread pattern like a Goodyear NCT or similar.

All guidance gratefully received.