Hi all
THE CAR;1995 M REG Audi 80 2.6 coupe 5 speed manual front wheel drive.
THE PROBLEM;
This evening when leaving work I started the car and left to warm up for about 10 minutes,then drove away,;
1st gear fine
2nd gear fine
3rd gear,wouldn't go in,so I missed it out and went to
4th gear fine
5th gear fine
There is no nasty noise or crunching or grinding when attempting to select 3rd gear,it just won't go in.
Coming down the box from
5th to 4th fine
4th to 3rd,,no
3rd to 2nd fine if a little odd feeling
2nd to 1st fine
selection of reverse is also fine
When driving along there is still no noise or nasties
If I select from 4th to 3rd and really give it a shove, it will go into 3rd and still makes no nasty sound.
It's as though there is a lump of timber or something in front of the gearstick blocking the way unless I shove it in hard.
Question 1; is the gearstick direct into the box or does it have remote external linkage.
Question 2; does this sound like a simple lack of gear box oil
The car had alledgedly had a new clutch around 4 thousand miles ago and has always felt good and right
The gearbox selection has been one of the nicest things about driving the car with such a silky smooth operation and has not once given cause for concern.
As daft as it may sound I managed 3rd sat on the drive but it felt as though the gear was closer to 1st than usual....wierd.
I know that it is nothing I'm doing wrong as I drive with 16 forward and 4 reverse in a splitter box with range change all day long
Sorry to have gone on but a bit of brain power from you all would be extremely well recieved
Many thanks
Stuart