1. Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, this is my 1st post in this forum... I live in Malta and want to buy a used UK import Golf MkV. The thing is I know that there has been a facelift somewhere but I can't find anything on the web. Can you guys help me out please?

All I know till now is (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1) The headlamps have the VW logo on the internal cap (that looks like a timble) that covers the bulb;

2) rear bumper is fully colour coded rather than the top half only;

Are these true or even the older models have these two features?

Also, is there any difference in the tail lamps for instance? or the engine? dash? meters?

What should I look for to know that it's a post facelift version. I'm looking at the 1.9TDI (is it 105bhp?) btw.

Thanks
    Dave Malta
    ---------------------------------------------
    Volkswagen e-Golf Mk7.5 2018
    Past :: VW Golf GTI Mk7 >> VW Golf 2.0TDI Mk6 >> VW Golf GT 2.0TDI Mk5

0 0 0

2. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With the Mk 5, there has been no face lift for the Petrol/Diesels (inc 1.9TDi) S/SE/SPORT/MATCH models, only the Petrol/ Diesels (2.O TDi) GT/GT Sport have received a facelift. Take a look below.

Petrol/Diesel (inc 1.9TDI) S/SE/SPORT/MATCH models

The best of the bunch is the 1.9TDi MATCH (shown) which has the best specification (body coloured door mirrors, body coloured side strips, alloys, multi function steering wheel, arm rest (front/rear), electric windows (front/rear), auto lights, auto wipers, cruise control, leather trimmed parts (steering wheel, handbrake, gear gaiter)). But only purchase models manufactured from 2007 onwards as earlier models suffer faulty ABS contol units which could cost up to £1500 to replace.

If you change your mind and prefer the more powerful diesel engine (2.0 TDi) this is where the face lift comes in......

2004 to mid 2006 (GT model)

Mid 2006 to mid 2007 (GT with a new front and a 'GT' badge on the grille)

Mid 2007 to end 2008 (renamed to GT SPORT with a new black front and a 'GT SPORT' badge on the grille). All 2008 models came with leather as standard.

Answering your remaining questions all Mk5 Golfs have

- the VW logo on the internal cap of the headlamp;
    - part body coloured/black rear bumper (only the R32 and the GTI Edition 30 have full rear bumpers). But you may find some owners/dealers have painted the rear black section of the bumper.
    - The tail lamps/dash are all the same with the exception of darker lenses/different dash dials on the R32 and GTI, GTI Edition 30.

If you still prefer the 1.9TDi, it produces 105PS and staying with the MATCH model all 1.9TDi engines (5 speed manual gearbox) manufactured after 6 November 2006 produce 132 CO2 and average 56.5 mpg compared to the previous 1.9 TDI engine which produced 143 CO2 and averaged 53.3mpg.
    Last edited by zf44; 29-07-2017 at 07:49 PM.

2 0 0

3. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @zf44

Many thanks! That was a very detailed explanation. I would actually vote for this to be put up as a sticky if possible actually.

------------------------------------

The ABS control unit - is it that bad? To be honest most of the Golf's I'm seeing within my budget are 2005 - 2006.

Emission wise - am I correct in understanding that for all models I should get a 2007 or later in order to have lower emissions?

------------------------------------

Thanks again for your very comprehensive explanation
    Dave Malta

1 0 0

4. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'll find alot of unhappy members on this forum who were very unlucky to suffer from this ABS problem when their vehicles were out of warranty. This problem not only affected the Golfs but also Polos, Jettas, Passats, Tourans, etc.

With the shortage of used cars in the UK, used car values are stronger and there isn't that much of a difference in price between model years now. So my suggestion is to extend your budget to buy a 2007 (with the remaining manufacturer's warranty) and if you find a fault with the Golf at least you can sort it out with a UK or Malta dealer under warranty.

On emissions, that's correct, Golfs produced after 2007 attract lower emissions and better fuel economy.

0 0 0

5. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm... can't really find later models (especially within budget). All I seem to find are 04 - 06 ones.

I saw a 2.0TDI this evening, but with a "55" plate. It has service history etc and seems to be in a very good condition.

I'll try to find something more recent though - although my problem is that I have my present car which I need to part exchange on - and I'd really like to get a good price on it

I can't seem to figure out if the emissions for the above engine are 149g/km or 154g/km. These fall in two different brackets for road circulation tax purposes. Basically on the vehicle valuation website it's listed as 154g/km whereas on CarGiant it's listed as 149g/km and I don't know which is the correct one.

Vehicle Registration Evaluation Page (http://www.valuation.vehicleregistra...ov.mt/Car.aspx)

Dave Malta

1 0 0

6. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One more question please if you don't mind my asking... If I get a 2.0TDI rather than a 1.9TDI, it means that it's a GT version. Does that by default get harder suspensions making the ride less comfortable especially in the Maltese bumpy roads?

Cheers
    Dave Malta

0 0 0

7. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To obtain the correct emission data, best to use the website below which is the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Select 'Vehicle Enquiry', then 'Next', enter the vehicle regstration mark and select Volkswagen as the make from the drop down menu. All the data will then be displayed.

On the 2.0TDi GT (6spd manual), vehicles manufactured before 6 Nov 2006 have CO2 of 154g/km CO2 and vehicles manufactured after this date have 145g/km CO2. But bear in mind insurance, fuel consumption and road tax will more more expensive on a 2.0TDi compared to a 1.9 TDi. As for the supension it's not that bad.... having owned a 1.9TDi Golf Plus SPORT for three years which had a SPORT suspension the ride was comfortable. Considering your budget it may be the best to look at a 1.9 TDi Golf Sport which has the following specification:

- Body coloured door mirrors, door handles and bumper/side door strips.
    - 6 speed manual gearbox.
    - Sports suspension.
    - Electric front windows and heated door mirrors.
    - Leather steering wheel, gear gaiter and handbrake.
    - Sports seats.
    - 16" alloys.
    - Air con.
    - Model year ranges from 2005 to 2007.

The alternatives are,

1.9 TDi SE (model year ranges from 2004 to 2006)

- 15" alloy wheels.
    - 5 speed manual gearbox.
    - No sports suspension.
    - No body coloured door handles bumper/side door strips.
    - No leather bits.
    - Air con.

Finally a 1.9TDi S (model year ranges from 2004 to 2008)

- 15" steel wheels.
    - 5 speed manual gearbox.
    - No sports suspension.
    - No body coloured door mirrors, door handles and bumper/side door strips.
    - No leather bits.
    - Some older models don't have air con.

Last edited by zf44; 29-07-2017 at 08:00 PM.

2 0 0

8. Thumbs up Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dude you amaze me - thanks a million again for your very helpful post! That's quite a load of details and info!
    Dave Malta

0 0 0

9. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takksi View Post
    @zf44

Many thanks! That was a very detailed explanation. I would actually vote for this to be put up as a sticky if possible actually.
    Stuck

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

10. Re: Buying a used Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers mate