Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

What a difference it makes to have a fully functional rear wash-wiper at last! (especially with the roads being so salty in this cold weather!)

I thought my rear wash-wipe pump had packed in; I didn't get so much as a trickle from the rear wash jets. Having taken the nozzle off (as described below) and activated the rear-wash, the jet of water cleared my 6ft garden fence!!! So.. my rear washer jets were 100% blocked!

1. Pull-off the plastic cowling that covers the washer jet. You need to spread the flaps that straddle each side of the wiper arm - the cowling should un-clip with a little persuasion.

2. Pull-off the washer jet nozzle - it's just a push fit (it may need wiggling as it'll have several years of crud holding it on!)

3. Take the nozzle inside and submerse it in vinegar in a small dish. Put the dish in the microwave for 10 seconds - NOT LONGER (the jets are metal - so do it at your own risk!) This is intended to speed-up the reaction between the acid (in the vinegar) and the calcium / oxide deposits in the jets.

Leave the nozzle to soak for 30 mins or so.

4. Get a twist-tie - importantly, you need the type that you'll find holding cables together when you buy an electronic appliance gadget etc, (the ones you get in sandwich bags are not rigid enough).

Strip a bit of sheath from the twist-tie to expose some bare wire. Gently prod, poke & twist the wire in each of the jets. If the crud won't shift, repeat step 3 and try prodding & poking again later! Providing your twist-tie wire isn't too big to fit in the jet, it will eventually work the crud loose.

Once you're able to "rod" the jets with the twist-tie, give both of them a vigorous roding and put them back in the vinegar for another 10 mins or so. For best results, suck or blow some vinegar through the jets (not very pleasant!)

Finish off by using a pin to rod the jets out even more. I covered the pin in some citrus gel (just like vinegar, the acid breaks down the crud) and wiped the crud off the pin each time it came out of the jet, until no more came out.

5. Use some tightly-screwed-up kitchen roll to de-gunge the main cavity of the nozzle, repeat until no more gunge comes out.

Do the same for the pipe that the nozzel clips-onto (on the car) and activate the rear-wash wiper to blast out any crud in the pipe. Try to do this as the postman walks past for extra points

6. Clip the nozzel back on and replace the plastic cowling!

If you've found the above useful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the button in the bottom-right hand corner of this post.

Al.
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

26 7 0

2. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Another incredibly useful wallet saving write up - Cheers matey!!

1 1 0

3. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if its possible to clean the front ones in a similar way?

0 0 0

4. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybutch View Post
    Does anyone know if its possible to clean the front ones in a similar way?
    The cleaning process will be the same but I'm not sure how easily they come off - haven't looked!

I'd really love heated front jets this time of year! That said, it's surprising how well mildly diluted screen wash stops thing freezing-up.

Al.
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

5. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    As someone has said already the heated jets wont stop the pipe freezing so I have put some more lagging round the exposed section from the bulkhead to the bonnet where I assume it is most exposed to the wind chill.Minus 10c here last night.My son has the same model as you Al and refused to accept that he had heated jets until I showed him that the fuse was in place and he had wiring going into the bonnet He thinks that they should steam if working but I think that they are onlylow key just enough to stop the nozzle freezing.Its agood idea to use concentrated screen wash neat in extreme conditions.

0 0 0

6. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

I presumed that I don't have them, I will check.. I thought they were part of a "Winter Pack" or similar (thats what VW used to call it).

Mine dosen't even have heated wing mirrors I guess I've been spoilt in the past!

Al.
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0

0 0 0

7. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - that is very helpful, not least because I have found another way to upset my now disgruntled postman!!

I have stripped down the rear wash wipe in the past but never to the extent you have suggested; maybe that is why I need to do it once a year because of the accumulation of road grunge and old windscreen washer sediment.

I do get some rather odd smells from the washer bottle - I wonder if you know what the cause of this could be?

Thanks again

1 1 0

8. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

Glad it helped. I'm not sure what the odd smells could be from the bottle.
    Are you smelling it when you use the wash-wipe when driving or are you referring to when you're re-filling the bottle?

If when driving, bear in mind that the air-recirculation flap automatically closes (temporarily) when you use the wash-wipers function.. so if you have somebody with smelly feet in the passenger seat.. that's the smell that'll get circulated through the car! (Don't tell your missus I said that!)

If you have damp carpets underneath the air intake (behind the glovebox) due to the Plenum chamber being full of water, then that could explain a damp smell. I can give you more details if you wish.

Al.
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0

0 0 0

9. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Toff,

Just found your post,

A big help to me having just bought a used A4 2005 Avant with blocked rear screen washer.

Now working a treat, kitchen and microwave smell of vinegar a bit but a great tip.

Many thanks

Ron

1 1 0

10. Re: Un-block your Avant rear washer jet 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This on my to do as ive not seen a drop out the rear washer since owning.
    Hope it this easy n not something else.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast