Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I currently have 16" wheels on my a4 b7 and I am upgrading them at Xmas but I am not sure whether to go for 18" or 19". My concern is that the 19"s will have less give to them and make the ride too harsh. Would there be a big difference?
    Thanks
    Allan

0 0 0

2. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guessing if you have 16s that you have SE trim. Don't think you will go wrong with the 18s personally, will look great and tyres will be cheaper and ride will be fine on the SE suspension.
    2007 MK5 Golf GT TDI 140ps Diamond Black
    2004 A4 Avant S-Line 1.8T 190ps Avus Silver w/black optics
    1997 MK3 Golf GTI 16v Anniversary Diamond Black- now gone!

0 0 0

3. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with the man above, since you have the se the suspension it is smoother and rides higher, so for comfort i think you should be fine but if you stretch to 19" it could look a bit mad since the se suspension sits pretty high compared to the s-line's

0 0 0

4. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodkod.84 View Post
    Guessing if you have 16s that you have SE trim. Don't think you will go wrong with the 18s personally, will look great and tyres will be cheaper and ride will be fine on the SE suspension.
    Yes it is the SE model I have. I know that 18s will look great but 19s would look even better! But I dont want to have a harsh ride as I do some long journeys in the car.

Cheers
    Allan

0 0 0

5. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P Smiddy View Post
    I agree with the man above, since you have the se the suspension it is smoother and rides higher, so for comfort i think you should be fine but if you stretch to 19" it could look a bit mad since the se suspension sits pretty high compared to the s-line's
    Yeah the suspension sits a bit high for my liking so I think I will get it lowered after I get my wheels...

0 0 0

6. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mate has a 1.9 tdi on a 53 with standard 16's on!

he upgraded to 19's (RS6 style 5 spoke wheels) and yes it did look pretty high and probably needed lowering around 30mm.

BUT he stated that he had all sorts of problems and the ride was not very good at all. Also his tyres kept going out of shape and after many tracking and balances he just took them of and put the 16's back on with no problems!

So he stated that they looked good but caused all sorts of problems for him on his car.

0 0 0

7. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've gone from 17s to 18s and i think the 18s give a fractionally harder ride. Moreso, with less tyre wall to the rim, i am even more aware about sunken manholes and potholes.

0 0 0

8. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    i've gone from 17s to 18s and i think the 18s give a fractionally harder ride. Moreso, with less tyre wall to the rim, i am even more aware about sunken manholes and potholes.
    Yeah I think I will stick with the 18s - I reckon the 19s will be too harsh.

0 0 0

9. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im running 20" with s-line i also do long drives and to be honest they maybe a lil harder but nothing much also got a 14 with 19" there ok

0 0 0

10. Re: Difference in ride between 18" and19" wheels? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puresilk View Post
    My mate has a 1.9 tdi on a 53 with standard 16's on!

he upgraded to 19's (RS6 style 5 spoke wheels) and yes it did look pretty high and probably needed lowering around 30mm.

BUT he stated that he had all sorts of problems and the ride was not very good at all. Also his tyres kept going out of shape and after many tracking and balances he just took them of and put the 16's back on with no problems!

So he stated that they looked good but caused all sorts of problems for him on his car.
    he muct have been useing budget tyres for them to keep goin out of shape

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast