Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

Quick bit of advice please....

Reasonably new owner (4 Months) of a 05MY GTI. Bought with full VW service history. Last service invoice had a comment regarding a small leak from the NSF intercooler pipe.

Twice now I have topped up the coolant with about 300ml of tap water. Well, volvic spring water from a bottle I normally drink from.

I was hoping to get the leak sorted in the next service - April Time - in the interim, should I just top up the coolant with some antifreeze or drain and start fresh?

No tools to test the gravity of the existing coolant. Sorry... thought about taking it to one of these places that offer free winter check etc.

Reading the other posts looks like I need to go to VW for the proper stuff too.

So in summary:

• NSF Leak - any ideas?
    • Top up with anti-freeze or drain & replace?
    • Do I need to go to VW for the proper stuff?

Thanking you all in anticipation

Lee

p.s. Sorry for the NOOB dumb questions.

0 0 0

2. Re: GTI - Anti-Freeze Topup or Drain & Replace 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The intercooler pipe is nothing to do with the radiator top up! It would give you a boost leak and therefore a lower power output.

Did you mean a radiator leak?

If so then are you constantly having to top up daily?

If so, then I'd replace the radiator/pipe as soon as possible.

During the winter months you really do need the proper anti-freeze in there. Water is only a temporary solution. If you consistently fill up with water and there is a hard frost, you will end up with a burst radiator.

Get some proper VW anti-freeze in there and sort out the leak. trying to save a few pennies now could well cost you a lot more in the long term.
    Edition 30 DSG~REVO stage 2+~GIAC DSG map~Milltek TBE~Forge Twintercooler~Autotech Fuel Pump~EVOM's Intake~Forge DV~Autotech Lightweight ARB's~Bilstein B16 coilovers~APR Dogbone Insert~VF engine and transmission mounts~Quaife ATB LSD~OSIR Carbon Fibre Bonnet, spoiler and Mirrors~Uprated speakers and HU~Park reverse Camera~TAROX 10 Pots up front and S3 rears~R888's on Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels. 370+horsies = Very happy Dubber

0 0 0

3. Re: GTI - Anti-Freeze Topup or Drain & Replace 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Hurdy
    thanks for the reply. Only topped it up twice in 4 months. Don't think it has had 1/2l.
    Been to VW and got the antifreeze. And just topped up with this. I don't know how many times it's been topped up before I bought the car.

So what would be leaking from the NSF, exhaust gasses or oil? Sorry really don't know how they work.

Just shows how little I know.

For the coolant leak can I add some radweld to the water? Or is this a bad idea?
    sorry again, proper dumb questions.

0 0 0

4. Re: GTI - Anti-Freeze Topup or Drain & Replace 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    you need to take your car to a garage for them to do a coolant system pressure test. this is basically a tool that attatches to the expansion bottle and air is pumped into the system up to about 15 psi. this will identify the leak. replace whatever is leaking, re pressure test to confirm no leaks, then drain the system and refil with the correct mix of antifreeze. dont try and bodge it with radweld as this is a great product if your rad springs a leak on a roadtrip and you need to get sorted, but only a temporary solution. your antifreeze will now have a much higher freezing point and as soon as the weather gets cold you will be sorry. dont wait till april.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0