Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Re: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkartist View Post
    Right. Very wrong from a consumers point of view on how they are able to sell a self-destructing engine.
    I think I will buy the upgraded shaft and hex from an engineering firm and get it done.
    As its done 135k already it possible someone might have done something already and I don't have the invoice. We will see.
    Would be nice to know if anyone else has completed this fix and how it went.
    A lot have had this done, some DIY like myself (twice - be careful what engineering firm is used as there is still a wrong way to remanufacture the shafts - a drilled hole and tapped inserts Helicoil style is not good enough) others via independent garages and some even via the dealer who will swap the whole balance unit and leave you very much poorer.

Every B6 owner on here with an affected 2.0 litre tdi engine with balance unit fitted is recommended to check the modification has been done by fitting a re-engineered shaft and longer 100mm key bar. KMB Direct is one of the more established suppliers of the parts needed but others are now springing up and doing the same proper re-engineering process on existing shafts.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Ok mate. Thinking of going for this;

Audi A4 A6 / VW Passat 2.0TDI Oil Pump Balance Shaft - DPF Solutions Sheffield

Unlimited lifetime/mileage warranty. Looks welded and decent.

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Ok mate. Thinking of going for this;

Audi A4 A6 / VW Passat 2.0TDI Oil Pump Balance Shaft - DPF Solutions Sheffield

Unlimited lifetime/mileage warranty. Looks welded and decent.
    Similar service to KMB Direct. Important thing is that the re-engineering involves spark eroding the original metal and the high temperature cure of a larger bush in the bigger hole so that it effectively heat welds into the shaft instead of having inserts tapped (as smaller inserts tend to be too slack for the VW harder 100mm key leading to further vibration and wear).

Are you fitting this yourself?
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

4. Re: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks Mitch.

No, bit much for me. I have a friend who worked for audi for 20 years and is running independant now. He seems confident.

Any advise on fitting?

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Thanks Mitch.

No, bit much for me. I have a friend who worked for audi for 20 years and is running independant now. He seems confident.

Any advise on fitting?
    He should be capable enough - you will need new balance unit mounting bolts (there are 8 including the one through the oil pump - different sizes), a new pick seal unless the old one looks ok, a new circlip to retain the key bar in the pump hole and the balance shaft alignment chock which keeps the shafts in position when refitting the balance unit. This piece is sometimes contained in the VW timing lock tool sets which is also needed. The balance unit is heavy so a second pair of hands useful. When you split the balance unit to access the shafts you can reuse those bolts safely enough (they just need to be quite tight but not overtight). Just a bit of patience and a couple of hours.

I have the 16v VW engine manual for Tdi engines (VWs own one) if you would like a copy as it may help. Just PM me your email address.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    He should be capable enough - you will need new balance unit mounting bolts (there are 8 including the one through the oil pump - different sizes), a new pick seal unless the old one looks ok, a new circlip to retain the key bar in the pump hole and the balance shaft alignment chock which keeps the shafts in position when refitting the balance unit. This piece is sometimes contained in the VW timing lock tool sets which is also needed. The balance unit is heavy so a second pair of hands useful. When you split the balance unit to access the shafts you can reuse those bolts safely enough (they just need to be quite tight but not overtight). Just a bit of patience and a couple of hours.
    May I ask... do you need to take the cambelt off to do this? I'm thinking of having the job done, but I'd like to have the cambelt and water pump done at some stage, would it be advisable to have both done at the same time?

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BNC View Post
    May I ask... do you need to take the cambelt off to do this? I'm thinking of having the job done, but I'd like to have the cambelt and water pump done at some stage, would it be advisable to have both done at the same time?
    No just the timing covers to insert the timing lock tools. You only lock the timing at TDC to preserve the relationship between the crank and balance shafts as the shafts are weighted and rest flat in the unit when the car is at TDC. Then you have to reseal the sump properly near the end of the balance shaft job.

It can be an opportunity to change the TB and water pump but there is still 3/4 of the timing belt job to do as not much comes off from that area and the engine mount still needs to be removed if I recall. The TB interval is 95k for a PD engine or 4 years whichever comes first. My first TB belt was overdue at 121k and then changed 4 years later at 185k. Have only done 40k on the 3rd belt so far in 2 and a half years and just a further 1600 miles in the preceding (pandemic) year.

0 1 0

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567