1. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi all, hopefully someone still looking at this thread, I’m having similar issues with van, although it’s a pretty nasty ‘whoosh’ kind of noise that comes from around the turbo area. Does not drastically affect performance as has been described here before - I wouldn’t call it a limp mode, just sounds as if an air flow is having problems somewhere. Happens when coming off the gas at high revs in top gear eg downhill motorway stretches and sometimes when starting and pulling away in 1st. Started about a year ago and got worse, so far changed air mass meter and today fitted brand new intercooler unit having checked all the pipes and finding no damage. Old intercooler was weeping a bit of oil into the engine bay and mechanic had said intercoolers were an issue with LTs. New one on, Started off and pulling away it ‘whooshed’ again, but when got engine up to temp after a few miles it stopped. Fuel filter was changed last spring, van done less than 10k on BP ultimate since then. Its my camper so I’m dying to sort this out as heading to Scandinavia in August - any suggestions? I’ve ordered a replacement temp sensor for the top intercooler pipe to see if that works, really hoping it’s not turbo issues as that would spoil my summer trip. Otherwise van is totally solid with lots of new parts fitted. Any suggestions would make my day.

0 0 0

2. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmo79 View Post
    Hello all. I have a yr2000 LT35 camper van with I believe the ANJ code engine. It is low on power and definitely not running right, looking for some help on diagnosing before replacing any parts.

Symptoms are general slugishness (i.e. struggles to get up to 65-70 and when you hit a hill really stuggles), van is not loaded heavily just the usual camper conversion stuff. Doesn't seem to 'reset' when turning off and on again and is generally underpowered all the time.

One thing I've noticed is that in first it seems to pull OK, then in second it starts to pull alright but then the turbo seems to cut out just when you're in the power band - it consistently does this. In 3-5th gears not much pulling power at all.. very flat - in fact it is quite tedious to drive so I'm hoping there is something I can do about it and I'm sure it should have more power!

Could it just be the AMM as previous posters suggest? Any other tips on diagnosing? I haven't had any fault codes read yet. The van has only done 60,000 and not noticed anything else wrong with the engine. Done the simple checks of pipes and leaks, can't see anything obvious missing, cracked etc. on the intake side.

Thanks for any help.

edit to add: I'm new to VW vehicles, what's the best way to identify exactly which airflow sensor I need for my vehicle? Call up the dealers with chassis number or is there a better way? :-) Are the Bosch ones shown as genuine on ebay the right ones or best to go direct to VW?
    Old topic but..

I have the exact same symptoms with my LT35, also ANJ engine. Did you find any solution?
    Did you get any codes? I have tried 2 different OBD2 reader with 2 different adapter cables but can't get contact to ECU. Hopefully it's something simple like AMM and not the turbo.

Thanks

0 0 0

3. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FINVW35 View Post
    Old topic but..

I have the exact same symptoms with my LT35, also ANJ engine. Did you find any solution?
    Did you get any codes? I have tried 2 different OBD2 reader with 2 different adapter cables but can't get contact to ECU. Hopefully it's something simple like AMM and not the turbo.

Thanks
    Hi,

Yes, in the end it was the inlet manifold gasket that had a tear. I got a new one from VW for £9, but I had to do it twice before I got it right - it’s really important to make sure the faces either side of the gasket on the block and manifold are super smooth and clean. Now I get the occasional tiny little sound but at least I know if it gets too bad I can do it again. The manifold is a bit of a bugger to get off - it’s only 8 bolts but the last one is easier to reach from inside the van through the maintainence cover. Whilst you’re there, have a look at the actuating rod on the air flap control until for the EGR - mine was knackered the plastic rod was loose on its connection so I got a second hand one off eBay and it made my turbo boost a lot harder! I have some pics of the job if you like I’ll post them.

0 0 0

4. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP View Post
    Hi,

Yes, in the end it was the inlet manifold gasket that had a tear. I got a new one from VW for £9, but I had to do it twice before I got it right - it’s really important to make sure the faces either side of the gasket on the block and manifold are super smooth and clean. Now I get the occasional tiny little sound but at least I know if it gets too bad I can do it again. The manifold is a bit of a bugger to get off - it’s only 8 bolts but the last one is easier to reach from inside the van through the maintainence cover. Whilst you’re there, have a look at the actuating rod on the air flap control until for the EGR - mine was knackered the plastic rod was loose on its connection so I got a second hand one off eBay and it made my turbo boost a lot harder! I have some pics of the job if you like I’ll post them.
    Actually I just looked my inlet monifold and seems that there might be a leak.. It would be great if you can post your pics, either here or mail me jussi@kotivalo.com
    Thanks!

0 0 0

5. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    No worries, have emailed you pics. I gave everything a good clean up while I was there! Let me know if it works.

0 0 0

6. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I sent you some pictures yesterday but they bounced back, was the email address correct? I’ll try and upload some with my computer tomorrow when I get a chance if not.

0 0 0

7. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP View Post
    I sent you some pictures yesterday but they bounced back, was the email address correct? I’ll try and upload some with my computer tomorrow when I get a chance if not.
    Email should be correct. How big they are? Maybe size limit caght them..

0 0 0

8. Re: LT35 Losing Power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Iv a lt35 2.8 tdi same problum. Have the van from new 06. It happened about five years ago and I ended up changing the Injectors. All good after that. Started hapening again good Afew weeks ago ended up being aloos conection on the sensor on top of injectors. Took the conection apart and sliped a thin piece of conector strip in the female side ans reconected it, Going great ever since and that was after getting it tested all over the place but just got lucky on a sunny afternoon with a bit of time on my hands. Hope this helps

0 0 0

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678