Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Oil leaking after cam belt change - help!

1. Oil leaking after cam belt change - help! 
    benr77 Guest
    Hi,

I recently had the cam belt done on my A6 3.0 V6 Quattro Avant. Apart from being expensive all seemed well. However, a few weeks later at a different garage I was getting an oil/filter change done and the mechanic asked if I'd had the cam belt done recently, and had I spotted the oil leaking.

He pointed out the oil leak - it's coming from (I think - not that good with engines!) the rubber oil seals around the crankshaft?? etc, right at the front of the engine block. Over a period of a few weeks the oil has spread over the bottom of the engine block and was almost reaching the exhausts at the back (a fire risk I reckon!).

In my understanding, to replace these rubber seals means taking off the whole of the front of the engine in the same way as the cam belt job does. i.e. expensive in terms of labour.

What I would like to know is a) is this problem caused by not fitting the parts back together properly after the cam belt work, or b) something that should have been spotted at the same time as the cam belt work?

Basically I need some ammunition to take with me to the garage who did the cam belt job and blag them to fix this problem for free as it was either caused by them or should have certainly be rectified by them when the did the cam belt.

Any information on this issue would be useful...

Thanks

Ben
    0 0 0

2. Re: Oil leaking after cam belt change - help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The crankshaft seal is not disturbed when the belt is changed and the leak may not have been there then they did the job. However the garage may be willing to fix the problem at a reduced rate as all the belts have to come off again to fix this. Good Luck. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

3. Re: Oil leaking after cam belt change - help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    There's a possibility a ham fisted mechanic has levered the crankshaft pulley damper off with a bar ,damaging the oil seal in the process,badly leaking oil a few weeks later? very difficult to prove though,anyway it needs changing again,oil contaminated cam belt is bad news.
    0 0 0

4. Re: Oil leaking after cam belt change - help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Could do with an engine code from the ID label in the spare wheel bay but the bottom sprocket does not need to come off to change the belt. The outer part of the pulley unbolts form the face of the sprocket. Run the engine and open the oil filler to see if there is pressure build up due to a blocked breather as this can cause oil leaks. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

5. Re: Oil leaking after cam belt change - help! 
    benr77 Guest
    Ok, thanks very much. I'll book it in to the garage again and see what they say - hopefully won't cost me too much!
    0 0 0