Hi folks

I have lost the red key for my Sharan mk1 1996 2.0 petrol and the car is locked on my drive. I have been able to get the key code from VW and with this I have got another company to cut a replacement key as VW wanted £105 just for the key!!

The replacement key opens the drivers door/pass' door and the boot. However the key fits the ignition barrel but will not turn and unlock! The original key which I guess may have been a little worn operated all the locks and the ignition.. (I have only had the red key since buying the car 2 years ago)

So I may now have to fit a new ignition barrel as well as finding the immobilisers location. (Not behind the dials as suggested by VW.. I did find a headlight control unit though..)

It has been suggested that it is located near the steering column above the pedals but I cannot find it in either location. So I am going to have to follow the cable from the RFID aerial for the transponder around the ignition barrel and hope I get there.

The carkeycentre are able to code the key for me once I remove the immobiliser.

Now I have to remove the ignition barrel so that they may be able to cut me another/or modify my new key to work.

I have replace an ignition barrel on a mk2/mk3 golf before and that was a real pain involving drilling a hole into the side of the barrel housing to 'pop' a spring.

I have searched here and wonder if anyone has any help or advice on how to do this.

Please guys I f anyone has any inof on removing the barrel I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks for reading this.

best wishes

Slarty