Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello forum users,

I'm sure the wise and kind people of the forum will guide me to the right direction on this one.

While I was hoovering the car the first time since I bought it in February, I found this by the rear seat ashtray on the centre console:

IMG_0870.jpgIMG_0871.jpg

What is this plug/socket for? There was this symbol of engine with electric arrow on the ashtray cover...

I was excited to find something unexpected!
    '11 VW B7 Passat Estate 2.0TDi CFFB (Current)
    '98 VW T4 Transporter 2.5TDi ACV (Previous)
    '99 Audi B5 A4 Avant 1.9TDi AFN (Previous)

0 0 0

2. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OBD socket

1 0 0

3. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AHA! Thank you Doctle for the quick post.

Now that I know where the plug is, I've been meaning to get an OBD connector and software (is this "VAG-COM" that I hear quite alot in the forum?), but I do not know where to start with my search... I have MacBook Pro (Mac OS X Lion v10.7.5).

I tried eBay a while ago, but I was overwhelmed with the amount of options just for the cable and the price range...

What do I need for reading on-board diagnostics and where is a good place to look around, please?

0 0 0

4. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think VCDS works well on a Mac RossTech doesn't provide support for anything except windows. I'd leave the eBay ones alone Gendan Automotive Products :: Professional and DIY car diagnostic tools :: EOBD, OBD II, CAN and VAG Code Readers and Scan Tools or similar licensed companies are the way to get it

0 0 0

5. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you again Doctle.

Did a quick search on what OBD, OBD-II, EOBD and VCDS are and some useful pages on Ross-Tech:
    Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 1
    Ross-Tech: VCDS: DTC Comparison

Looks like it's hit and miss to get VCDS working on Mac; does seem to work for some Mac users via Boot Camp (which I have, but I never use Windows on Mac). Sounds worth a try. But then I found out how much the kit costs...:

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Even with £1.95 discount, it's still dear for me. My car has 135,000miles on the clock so may be worth invensting my money on the kit and save garage cost in the long run, but I find it hard to convince myself at the moment.

I will post a quick note on the "Vehicle Diagnostics Equipment VCDS only" section of the forum to see if anyone in East Sussex (near Brighton - Hastings) has the kit already and wouldn't mind teaching me one or two about the kit. If you happened to be in the area and wouldn't mind a fellow Audi owner, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks again Doctle, and I hope this helps a bit for those who are in similar situation.

0 0 0

6. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Depending on the dealer prices you'll get your money back in 2-3 visits. you can also buy http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html which is basic but will read faults on your car. the other option is a hand held scanner something like this Vgate VS450 VW / VAG Group Scanner alternative VAG405 VAG305 V-gate Distributor | eBay
    Last edited by Doctle Odd; 02-04-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: wrong link

0 0 0

7. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes that's quite true. I understand that VCDS will give me the fault codes to identify what's wrong with the car, but I would still need the skill/knowledge/equipment to repair or replace the source of the problem, which can be tricky sometimes. I'm confident on novice DIY like rear washer jet replacement, and may be oil change (will attempt in 5,000miles). But more than that I think I will struggle (I want to retro-fit cruise control, and I found the how-to thread here, but don't have the time/equipment/confidence to tackle it yet).

Having said this, VCDS might encourage me to invest my time and effort on the car more. I presume the "cable-only" and "hand-held reader" options are not as comprehensive as the £260.00 full set. May be it's better for me to meet a fellow forum user near me who has the kit already and learn it.

Thanks again for your advice Doctle, I will update how I get on with this!

1 0 0

8. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can use VCDS on your mac as long as you boot into Windows using Boot Camp. I use it on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6 and have no problems.

Before spending £260+ on a full setup why not buy the £20 dual-k line cable from Gendan that works with the shareware VCDS-lite software. This will allow you to read fault codes, reset faults and interrogate controllers. It can also be upgraded to allow various extra features for $99. If you play around with the cheap version and find it useful then you can upgrade to the fully functioning bells&whistles model.

Frank

1 1 0

9. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds ALOT attractive than the full throttle software. Naive of me, I didn't even suspect that there was a "lite" version of the software.

I shall look into this. Thanks everyone for the comments!

0 0 0

10. Re: Some sort of plug/socket next to rear seat ashtray 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Revising this topic...

I finally had some time to look at OBD cables and software, I found this:
    http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html

Is this the one, frankc? There seems to be loads of OBD / VAG-COMs out there, a lot of "generic" diagnostic tools and some VAG diagnostics. Bit of a minefield to choose what's good and not...!

0 0 0