Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi Guy’s,

I have an Audi A6 2.5Tdi SE Avant CVT Multitronic 53 Plate.

I’ve got a problem with my Multitronic gearbox. I start the car from cold, and take a gentle run on a level surface. When I get to around 60 miles an hour, my rev counter is reading around 2200 rpm when it should be around 1700 -1800. It’s almost like it’s still in 5th gear and not six. If I move the gear stick from “Auto” to “Manual”, the display shows its still in 5th. I understand that there are no gears as such, and looks almost like the software for the gearbox maybe corrupt keeping the revs higher. On another occasion I engaged cruise control at the same speed and conditions, and just as the car warmed a little, the revs seemed to waiver a bit and finally settle down to 1700 – 1800 rmp and the display showed it was in 6th when moving the gearstick to the manual position. The issue resolves itself after around 10 minutes of driving.

I’m currently serving out in Afghanistan with the RAF, and will be back the second week in December, so the only option I have right now is for Audi to collect the car while I’m away, and put it on their diagnostic equipment and see what comes up.

There has been some history with my CVT gearbox. I bought the car from brand new at the end of 2003. Around 6 months of use, there I was having issues where the car juddered as I pulled away slowly. The Audi workshop that I took it to couldn’t find an issue with it and retuned it to me exactly as they found it. Exactly the same fault re-appeared, and subsequently the car went in for further tests. The garage didn’t tell me what they did, but it would seem to have been fixed. A few month’s later, at the next service it was juddering again. It went in for more tests but they couldn’t find anything. The car went in several times for the same issue without resolve all whilst under warranty.

The trouble is I seem to be spending half of my life out here in Afghanistan and not being able to progress the fault on my car. I’m not sure of the date, but around six months out of warranty on the car, it developed more serious issues where the car failed to go into drive, especially when reversing. You would select the gear, but nothing happened until it jerked into gear rather roughly. I sent the car in again where the engineers discovered that the ECU for the gearbox was at fault which was replaced under warranty. The car has only done just over 60,000 miles. I would expect to get a good 120,000 before any faults appear with any component. This is my 3rd A6, and I have never had so much trouble.

All servicing has been carried out by Audi in accordance with Audi’s recommendations,

This brings me to my concern about the cost. Does anybody here have any experience or advice with Audi’s goodwill?

So, Audi are to collect the car 24th November, I just hope they have a good goodwill scheme. I’m sorry for the log winded email, but I believe it would be useful if it was comprehensive rather that vague.

0 0 0

2. Re: Weird Multitronic issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I think you will be very lucky if you get any goodwill from Audi.
    Have you read some of the horror stories with the multi'box.
    A good indie garage with experience on this box is Indietech in Milton Keynes
    You may find a transmisson fluid change could help
    I think these boxes should be serviced every 40K.
    Good luck with the car.

Keep your head down and stay safe
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

3. Re: Weird Multitronic issue 
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanious View Post
    Hi Guy’s,

I have an Audi A6 2.5Tdi SE Avant CVT Multitronic 53 Plate.

I’ve got a problem with my Multitronic gearbox. I start the car from cold, and take a gentle run on a level surface. When I get to around 60 miles an hour, my rev counter is reading around 2200 rpm when it should be around 1700 -1800. It’s almost like it’s still in 5th gear and not six. If I move the gear stick from “Auto” to “Manual”, the display shows its still in 5th. I understand that there are no gears as such, and looks almost like the software for the gearbox maybe corrupt keeping the revs higher. On another occasion I engaged cruise control at the same speed and conditions, and just as the car warmed a little, the revs seemed to waiver a bit and finally settle down to 1700 – 1800 rmp and the display showed it was in 6th when moving the gearstick to the manual position. The issue resolves itself after around 10 minutes of driving.

I’m currently serving out in Afghanistan with the RAF, and will be back the second week in December, so the only option I have right now is for Audi to collect the car while I’m away, and put it on their diagnostic equipment and see what comes up.

There has been some history with my CVT gearbox. I bought the car from brand new at the end of 2003. Around 6 months of use, there I was having issues where the car juddered as I pulled away slowly. The Audi workshop that I took it to couldn’t find an issue with it and retuned it to me exactly as they found it. Exactly the same fault re-appeared, and subsequently the car went in for further tests. The garage didn’t tell me what they did, but it would seem to have been fixed. A few month’s later, at the next service it was juddering again. It went in for more tests but they couldn’t find anything. The car went in several times for the same issue without resolve all whilst under warranty.

The trouble is I seem to be spending half of my life out here in Afghanistan and not being able to progress the fault on my car. I’m not sure of the date, but around six months out of warranty on the car, it developed more serious issues where the car failed to go into drive, especially when reversing. You would select the gear, but nothing happened until it jerked into gear rather roughly. I sent the car in again where the engineers discovered that the ECU for the gearbox was at fault which was replaced under warranty. The car has only done just over 60,000 miles. I would expect to get a good 120,000 before any faults appear with any component. This is my 3rd A6, and I have never had so much trouble.

All servicing has been carried out by Audi in accordance with Audi’s recommendations,

This brings me to my concern about the cost. Does anybody here have any experience or advice with Audi’s goodwill?

So, Audi are to collect the car 24th November, I just hope they have a good goodwill scheme. I’m sorry for the log winded email, but I believe it would be useful if it was comprehensive rather that vague.
    Keep the pressure up mate.. It sounds to me like they replaced the Hydraulic Control system on the gearbox the first time round. Hold out for nothing less than a complete gearbox replacement.....they've been messing you around for far too long...

Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Dan.

1 0 0

4. Re: Weird Multitronic issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for that guy's,
    I'll let you know what Audi say's when it goes in 24 nov 09...

0 0 0