Notices

User Tag List

Thread: HELP! Golf mk4 2.0 GTi Engine problems!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. HELP! Golf mk4 2.0 GTi Engine problems!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there all, i'm new to the site, must say loads of interesting info!

I was wondering if any bods know about Mk4 Golf Engine probs/Sensor failures?

A few weeks ago my engine management light started coming on and going off at will, about a week ago a nasty smell started and the light stuck on. The car drove fine no loss of power it just over reved on start and at idle occassionally.

I took it for a diagnostic and service and the diagnosis was that it had been burning oil and this had fouled up the lamda probe, I had this replaced and the light turned off, the car seemed fine, still over reving a little when starting,but not smelling or using any oil. Then after a cold night it struggled to start, the engine management light cameback on again (after turning it over a few times), but this time no smell and running fine.

VW now say its Piston rings, but i've heard something about Air leaks in the engine, and mass air flow meters becoming a problem?1?

Any help, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Rich

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you ever find out? I have the same car and my light's been on for a week (is it on orange or red, yours?) and the dealer says it has a non-standard cat on but they'll put a VW cat on for £600. It's running fine other than the light (which obviously means it might be about to run not fine)

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, still not found out, but light comes on and goes off now so thats encouraging, but to be honest I would take what VW say with a pinch of salt, look into stuff elsewhere, cos as I explained, my piston rings are defo not gone because car not using any oil now, VW wanted £800 to fix.!!! - Ps my light is orange

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the emmisions light on can be numerous different faults. get the fault code to point you in the right direction of a possible sensor/ electrical fault?

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the EMS (engine management system) light is indicative of a fault.... in order to diagnose the fault properly, we need to know the codes. the fact that you had the lambda sensor replaced and this rectified one fault, could well be totally un related to this now present fault.

if i were you, get someone with vagcom or a fault code reader to hook up your car and read the codes.

there are quite a few people on here who will oblige, if your near stalybridge/ashton under lyne im always willing to help for a few beers

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_Rich View Post
    ...to be honest I would take what VW say with a pinch of salt, look into stuff elsewhere, cos as I explained, my piston rings are defo not gone because car not using any oil now, VW wanted £800 to fix.!!! - Ps my light is orange
    After the initial panic I had on speaking to VW and going there this week, I've asked around a lot more and come to the same conclusion! Not about your oil, I mean, about VW... I have found a local man with a fault reader thing and he is going to tell me this weekend what the fault is.

Maybe you can find someone local to you to do the same?
    Everyone seems to have been very helpful

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    The 2.0 does have a reputation for using oil as a result of the piston rings exactly as the dealer has suggested.

A design fault, yes but they'll never admit it.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
    The 2.0 does have a reputation for using oil as a result of the piston rings exactly as the dealer has suggested.

A design fault, yes but they'll never admit it.
    Course not! Does the 2.0 have a reputation for anything else or can you tell me where to find out? I absolutely love it but I think people seem to like the TD GTi (or TDi or whatever) more. I got a nasty polo 1.2 from the dealer yesterday and oh what joy to get my lovely dub back!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the responses and helpful hints guys!!! I did a compression test on the engine last night, Piston Rings - DEFINATLEY NOT!!, got a local company called Motor Tek that say £40 an hour to put it on their computer - which i'm doing tommorow, so will post back with outcomes!!!

All this to sell a car - ahhhh!!!!, need to get this light off so I can sell and get an Audi S3!!!, went out in one with a guy from work and they are mean machines!!! - fingers crossed tommorow i'll be a step closer!!!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    [quote=Richie_Rich;38595]Piston Rings - DEFINATLEY NOT!!quote]

I wouldn't be so hastey in making that conclusion.

Reason being...

If either the piston or oil control rings are letting oil past, that oil is going to help give nice high readings whilst doing a compression test.

What you need to do to be sure is a 'leak down' test. This is where a bore is pressurised and it's pressure observed over a period of time. Much more accurate than a compression test.

Also having read your other post as well my gut feel is...

The CAT and Lamda problems are probably linked and could possibly be caused by the oil problem.

Personally I'd accept what VW have said, obtain in writing their diagnosis and take it back to where you bought the car. You say you have a warranty, use it, you only got it in Feb.

If you don't sort this underlying problem, you'll probably end up replacing the cat and lamda again before to long.

Do a google search about the 2.0 oil problem if you are still in doubt.
    Last edited by Col; 11-05-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling spelling spelling, must try harder.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast