Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys

I am not actually an Audi owner yet but am looking to get rid of my money pit saab 9-3 ASAP and am looking at the Audi A3 sportback 2.0 TDI.
    I am kicking myself for not checking the forums before buying my Saab so don't want to make the same costly mistake again!

Can I please have some advice about reliability of the 2.0 TDI A3 ?
    Would you reccomend or are there any common faults?
    Whats the price of servicing like?
    My 9-3 is pretty quick - whats the A3 like to drive?

Any help would be great to put my mind at rest or warn me away before I get my wallet out!

Thanks guys.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I doubt you will get many people on here will tell you not to buy one! I've had two over the past 5 years a 140 2.0TDI and a 170 2.0TDI and neither have given me any real trouble. Servicing is not unreasonable at main dealers (although some may disagree). On long life you only need to go back every two years or up to 20K (normally 18Kish). I've tended to pay £200-£250 for a 20K service and £250-£500 if its needs brakes and what not. If your looking at an older car you can obviously make this cheaper by going to an independent.

All cars have have common issues even Audi's. Make sure it has Audi history or if you can pay the premium comes as an Audi approved and then will have a warranty anyway.

As for performance they are a good balance between speed and economy and you will probably be surprised by how well they handle (especially if you get quattro). The 170 is a little faster but overall bu for me probably isn't worth the reduced full consumption. Both can also be remapped cheeply to increase performance without loosing out on economy if it isn't fast enough for you.
    S4, B6 2004 Avant, Phantom Black, Cream Recaro's, AMD stage 3 398bhp
    A3, 2007 Sportback, S-line, Quattro, Exclusive, Silver/Black Nappa leather, RS4 alloys, light and rain pack, Ipod, BT

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to advise me Matt.
    The one I am looking at is the 140. I didnt realise there was a 170!

I called an independent earlier today to ask them about common faults and they just mentioned temp sensors and cam shafts after billions of miles.

I had a Freelander for 8 years and it never missed a beat until I traded it in at 198,000 miles so am just looking at something to live up to its standards for reliability. My current Saab has got me addicted to performance but is shockingly unreliable so I am basically wanting my cake and halfpenny!

I like the big wheels on the 2.0 tdi sport and could not live without a 6th gear (thanks to the saab) and the a3 ticks all the other boxes. I am just paraniod about spending money on another lemon!

So to summarise - the a3 2.0 tdi sport should give me years of trouble free service and put a smile on my face on the back roads and at the pumps?

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a heads up on the A3 2.0Tdi before you take your wallet out. We have one of these and its starting to be a pain at 3 years of age with low milage and full dealer servicing. Recent events include: 1. Engine inlet manifold flap jamming open, requiring replacement. 2. Fuel cooler becoming detached from under the car due to weaknesses in the body mountings. 3. ABS pump failure with cost of £1500 + being quoted. This ones still an issue, follow this thread for further details. https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=83472
    Regards

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had a 140 2.0TDI sportback for about two years and it's been faultlessly reliable. The main dealer servicing is not too bad and generally I think it's a good car. It feels like a high quality car and doesn't rattle, only criticism is that I find it quite boring to drive, the handling's not great and it's not very involving but it's horses for courses and only an opinion... I'm also kicking myself for not getting the s-line as I think they look much better with the roof bars and other bits and bobs.

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vectortid View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to advise me Matt.
    The one I am looking at is the 140. I didnt realise there was a 170!

I had a Freelander for 8 years and it never missed a beat
    Lol I had a company Freelander for 2 years and it spent more time at Landrover than on the road! I think that says it all and accounts for some of the brand bashers on this forum. You can buy any car however reliable its pedigree and it can breakdown and cost you money. Get a good car with a history and you drastically reduce your chances of buying a lemon but you will never rule it out completely. That's cars.
    S4, B6 2004 Avant, Phantom Black, Cream Recaro's, AMD stage 3 398bhp
    A3, 2007 Sportback, S-line, Quattro, Exclusive, Silver/Black Nappa leather, RS4 alloys, light and rain pack, Ipod, BT

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My A3 (170 ) has been perfect for nearly 3 years and 77,000 miles.

Could not recommend it enough. The quality of the interior is second to absolutely NONE in it's class. And also better than: Lexus IS220, Mondeo, Legacy, Saab 9-3 which all feel somewhat cheap inside.

Enjoy, oh and if you can get a 170 you'll not only benefit from a beast of an engine but also a soot free zone on the tailgate due to it's DPF.

I pay Audi £27 a month for servicing which also includes fluids. a bargain considering that oil is £15 a litre. The other benefit to getting an A3 is that the worst car they will plonk you in while your car is being serviced is another A3.

Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi buy! Buy! Buy! God i have had so many cars but my a3 2.o tdi 3dr sport is the best of them all i would never part with it,they look the part,they are also great on diesel 48mpg i get out of mine,iv never had any problems with it at all.post pics if you get one !

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right folks - I have taken the plunge! The Saab has now gone and I am the proud owner of an Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line in Dolphin Grey with big chonking 18 inch alloys. So far - love it
    A quick question if I may - Anyone had an issue with the centre 2 air vents blowing luke warm when the rest blow hot?

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi A3 2.0 TDI - to buy or not to buy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vectortid View Post
    Right folks - I have taken the plunge! The Saab has now gone and I am the proud owner of an Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line in Dolphin Grey with big chonking 18 inch alloys. So far - love it
    A quick question if I may - Anyone had an issue with the centre 2 air vents blowing luke warm when the rest blow hot?

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

Did you get the 140 then?

What year is it.... and pictures, pictures pictures.
    Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast