Hi all,

Drove 250miles todays and halfway through stopped for a break and topped up the screenwash. I thought I would have enough petrol to get me home but about 80 miles later thought it best to stick a bit more in as I was approaching the M25 near rush hour.

After leaving the second service station, I took it up to about 5.5krpm down the slip road in 3rd and slipped it in 5th at 70. Another mile down the road the DIS showed a Red 'OIL' warning light for a few seconds and then it went out. I pulled over to the hard shoulder and trundled at about 1200rpm to the next junction and found a petrol station to top up the oil with the warning light coming on a couple more times. On checking the oil I found that the oil level was smack back in the middle of the min/max range. All the same, I put some more oil in it to take it closer to the max and set off on my way making sure to take it easy on the motorway (i.e. not taking it above 3.5krpm).

20 miles or so later, the warning light comes on again. I was sat at 70 on a flat road and not even slightly putting the engine under any strain.

I've read a couple of things on the forums tonight which range from a simple 'Glitch and to disconnect the battery for 10 seconds' through 'A new oil sensor' to 'Early warnings of the oil pump on it's way out'.

Any ideas or ways that I can do some research in to the cause. I have a VAGCOM cable but have only used it once to make sure it worked (Which it did).

Help much appreciated.

Thanks, Richie.