1. Question Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just traced a leak on our 1998 1.6 A3. It appears to be coming from the coolant manifold attached to the cylinder head at the right hand (opposite end to the timing belt). The water appears to be leaking at this point and cascading down the side of the engine block onto the transmission and then the garage floor.

I have seen posts on the web regarding problems with the coolant flange on 2.0 litre engines with later models. Is this a common fault area on A3, even the 1.6? If so, do I just need to change "O" rings or the whole manifold. Or should I be looking at the nearby possible culprit of the head gasket.

By the way, just changed the water pump. The remains of the impeller were lying in the housing). My neighbour thought this was a recall on A3's because of pump problems.

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This happened to mine (also a 1.6) when it was about 10 years old. Took it to my local spanner-monkeys after the coolant started leaking at a fair rate of knots, and they misdiagnosed it as a leaking radiator to start with . At the second attempt they found the leak coming from the engine in the location you describe. Think they only had to replace the plastic moulding that connects the hose to the block, but not sure of the details now.

1 0 0

3. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After much rapping of knuckles, managed to extract the plastic manifold from the head. The rubber seal looked very tired. Have new O ring so will see if I can make a secure seal. I was surprised to find the seal relied only on the O ring butting up against the side of the head with no attempt to have one fitting align with the other.

0 0 0

4. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Davsurfa Guest
    I had the same waterfall effect on mine (1.6) when I got it. I was getting through 2 litres a week. Before I knew it, well actually on the M6 30 mile from home, my headgasket blew and cracked the head and barrel and knackered the valves on cyclinder 3. After a top to toe rebuild and a small amount of breathing on by the guys at RSD mine is now running sweet as a nut. I reckon it is a common fault. How many miles is on the clock??

0 0 0

5. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Must've been around the 150k mile mark when it happened to mine.

0 0 0

6. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Davsurfa Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Typ 5K View Post
    Must've been around the 150k mile mark when it happened to mine.

Mine popped at just under 83k. I've done about 300 miles since and it's still running pretty.

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is done just under 140K. Having replaced the "o" ring, to find the plastic manifold had cracked. Not surprised really as it did seem to be a bit brittle.

Any suggestions of a good source for a replacement?

0 0 0

8. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Davsurfa Guest
    Could try a local scrappy, the only places I know are RSD, who are in Dav so a fair distance from you but would post the parts to you, or you could try GSF. There is one in Swansea

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/swansea.html

Just avoid main ********.

0 0 0

9. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got a new one from GSF who keep them in stock. All reassembled, just have to test drive to make sure there are no leaks.

Thanks for all the comments

0 0 0

10. Re: Coolant flange leak on a 1.6 A3 
    Davsurfa Guest
    Well? Any leaks?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast