Notices

User Tag List

Thread: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As the title says really. Hindsight is a wonderful
    thing so if you had your time again which box would you go for? Manual or tiptronic and why? Any horror stories with the tip?

Cheers guys
    Mauritius Blue TDI Sport GmbH Avant | 35% Tint | Custom Remap by Awesome GTI - 180BHP - 450NM - Gone! | RS6's | Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics | RS 4 RARB | RS 4 Pedals | B7 Black Optic CatBack Twin Exhaust | HIDS

0 0 0

2. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would stick with an auto box.Torque characteristics of (most) diesels better suited to automatics

0 0 0

3. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate, I think the tip is the right option too. Just interested to here from as many people as possible who have made the choice before.

I've not heard anything bad about these boxes so far either...
    Mauritius Blue TDI Sport GmbH Avant | 35% Tint | Custom Remap by Awesome GTI - 180BHP - 450NM - Gone! | RS6's | Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics | RS 4 RARB | RS 4 Pedals | B7 Black Optic CatBack Twin Exhaust | HIDS

0 0 0

4. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Manual, need I say any more.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

5. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've owned an auto A4 3.0 TDI and two manuals (A4 2.5 TDI & A4 1.9 TDI) all with Quattro.
    Your question is not an easy one to answer! I agree that auto boxes suite the torque and power delivery characteristics of diesels, but how much this applies really depends on the power output of the engine!

Out of the four cylinder TDIs available in the A4 B7 range, I'd only consider getting an auto on the 2.0 TDI 170bhp. In my humble opinion, the 140bhp & lower engines are too under-powered for the auto box, especially when fully laden!
    Both the 2.7 and 3.0 have plenty of umph to drive the auto box, no question there. As their lazy V6 configuration isn't as punchy low-down as their 4 cylinder cousins, the auto box suits them particularly well.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how you drive most of the time:
    If you spend a lot of time in traffic, you drive sedately and are generally a laid back driver, then auto is undoubtedly the best choice. It's a phenomenal driver aide.
    If you regularly drive enthusiastically and enjoy taking your car by the scruff of the neck - you need manual, no doubt.

Having driven all my TDI's across the Snake Pass (the mountain road that links Manchester to Sheffield across the Pennines) I can say that there's nothing worse than being at the mercy of an auto gearbox when you want to drive progressively through tight corners and bends!

Even in sport mode, an auto box often leaves you in the wrong rev range or gear to get the power down when you really need it! You cannot beat having control of the clutch, revs and gear if you are an enthusiastic driver.

Tiptronic is a real advancement over standard auto, but I think it's most effective in naturally aspirated large capacity petrol engines (where turbo lag isn't a factor). My personal opinion is that Tiptronic is wasted in most diesels.
    Admittedly it is great for changing down a gear when going round a long sweeping bend, but isn't great in tight bends).

In retrospect, I'm pleased I had auto in my 3.0 TDI because I drive sedately most of the time. Occasionally the auto box frustrated me - I wanted to take advantage of that awesome 3.0 lump + Quattro (the auto box never really lets you do that!)

I am enjoying the manual box in my 1.9 TDI Quattro at the moment, it really suits the engine. When I eventually upgrade to a 2.7 TDI, I'm pretty sure I'll be going for auto again - it's all about the smoooooth ride

Hope that helps!

Al.

PS: The downside when buying a manual 3.0 TDI is: they have monstrous torque figures and they are more likely to have been abused (as opposed to the auto which is offered some protection by the torque-converter's max torque limit).
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

6. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    Manual, need I say any more.

Haha, yes please do tell. Your advice is fairly priceless around here, so yeah please shed some more details

0 0 0

7. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toff View Post
    Hi,

I've owned an auto A4 3.0 TDI and two manuals (A4 2.5 TDI & A4 1.9 TDI) all with Quattro.
    Your question is not an easy one to answer! I agree that auto boxes suite the torque and power delivery characteristics of diesels, but how much this applies really depends on the power output of the engine!

Out of the four cylinder TDIs available in the A4 B7 range, I'd only consider getting an auto on the 2.0 TDI 170bhp. In my humble opinion, the 140bhp & lower engines are too under-powered for the auto box, especially when fully laden!
    Both the 2.7 and 3.0 have plenty of umph to drive the auto box, no question there. As their lazy V6 configuration isn't as punchy low-down as their 4 cylinder cousins, the auto box suits them particularly well.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how you drive most of the time:
    If you spend a lot of time in traffic, you drive sedately and are generally a laid back driver, then auto is undoubtedly the best choice. It's a phenomenal driver aide.
    If you regularly drive enthusiastically and enjoy taking your car by the scruff of the neck - you need manual, no doubt.

Having driven all my TDI's across the Snake Pass (the mountain road that links Manchester to Sheffield across the Pennines) I can say that there's nothing worse than being at the mercy of an auto gearbox when you want to drive progressively through tight corners and bends!

Even in sport mode, an auto box often leaves you in the wrong rev range or gear to get the power down when you really need it! You cannot beat having control of the clutch, revs and gear if you are an enthusiastic driver.

Tiptronic is a real advancement over standard auto, but I think it's most effective in naturally aspirated large capacity petrol engines (where turbo lag isn't a factor). My personal opinion is that Tiptronic is wasted in most diesels.
    Admittedly it is great for changing down a gear when going round a long sweeping bend, but isn't great in tight bends).

In retrospect, I'm pleased I had auto in my 3.0 TDI because I drive sedately most of the time. Occasionally the auto box frustrated me - I wanted to take advantage of that awesome 3.0 lump + Quattro (the auto box never really lets you do that!)

I am enjoying the manual box in my 1.9 TDI Quattro at the moment, it really suits the engine. When I eventually upgrade to a 2.7 TDI, I'm pretty sure I'll be going for auto again - it's all about the smoooooth ride

Hope that helps!

Al.

PS: The downside when buying a manual 3.0 TDI is: they have monstrous torque figures and they are more likely to have been abused (as opposed to the auto which is offered some protection by the torque-converter's max torque limit).
    Cheers Toff, some good info there. I'd forgotten you'd had one of these. I have two concerns with the tip box, 1 - It could still be a fairtly uninvolved drive, 2 - The box might not like the increase from 450NM torque to 550NM after a remap once I've got used to it stock.

That said, I thought the tip with paddle shift would be the best of both really and something I'd like to try (maybe I'm just thinking of DSG as an auto box that gives you more control I don't know). I think I'd enjoy the effortless drive of the auto when just chilling out but wanted the tip for the fun bits. Seems I may be wrong though with that one, I don't want to change down aproaching a corner only for the auto box to decide to change back up mid corner.

It's going to be difficult to test drive one in different situations so thought I ask the forum.

0 0 0

8. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    1 - It could still be a fairly uninvolved drive, 2 - The box might not like the increase from 450NM torque to 550NM after a remap once I've got used to it stock.
    I can confirm point number 1 - it is still a fairly uninvolved drive.. simply because it doesn't change quick enough when you really need it to!

On point 2: Don't worry, I took mine upto 550NM and it never missed a beat (besides - the torque converter protects the transmission to some extent).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    That said, I thought the tip with paddle shift would be the best of both really and something I'd like to try (maybe I'm just thinking of DSG as an auto box that gives you more control I don't know). I think I'd enjoy the effortless drive of the auto when just chilling out but wanted the tip for the fun bits. Seems I may be wrong though with that one, I don't want to change down approaching a corner only for the auto box to decide to change back up mid corner.
    The dual-clutch DSG would be awesome because there is no delay in up/downshifts .. but the standard single clutch tiptronic auto box found in the B7 isn't the best of both worlds. (I don't think you can get the DSG box on a B7 TDI ???)

I must admit, I'm not the most technical driver (so that could be a factor) but I don't feel entirely safe using it when braking hard, approaching a corner - there may only be a very short delay, but the time it takes to shift down can be very disconcerting when you're waiting to get back on the gas! (especially considering you may have traveled quite a few meters before the box finally shifts down!)

The tiptronic system is very clever, it waits until you've finished driving like a hooligan before returning to auto mode (it must monitor engine revs, steering angle etc etc..) So don't worry about it doing anything unexpectedly (like shifting up in a corner).
    It's just the time it takes to shift down that bothers me. It's great for dropping a few cogs when overtaking on straight roads etc.. just not on twisty A-roads!

a8_tech clearly likes to spank his motor all over the place so manual is a no-brainer for him (we both have 1.9TDI Quattro manuals and they are a surprisingly rewarding drive!)

You just have to identify your driving style and base your choice on that. Like I said before, the 3.0 TDI lends itself to a lazy, smooth driving style but it would be monstrous fun as a manual Quattro!

Al.
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

9. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    The only Audi auto box if you can call it auto for me its the R8 R tronic.I prefer the manual gearbox for all other platforms where applicable due to reliability.
    I would say the manual box is far more reliable and if you are going for the 3.0 tdi then yes the ZF box is a strong box and remap's seem to cause no issue but for me its a manual all the way.
    Referring to dsg then its a great box for the driver but there are to may issues with the latest dsg and s tronic in tt,a3 and 8k platforms for me to recommend one of these although your choice is the B7.Guess the spare 3.0 turbo I have may well be needed for you and your mad remaps lol.

Don't always take what I say as gospel because by nature I'm worst case scenario tech.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

10. Re: If you were buying your B7 3.0TDI again which box would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha cheers A8 Tech, I will bear all this in mind when it comes to the time. Will definately have to drive both too. Yes definately keep that turbo to one side It's just a shame I couldn't bolt it on too, a 3.0TDI Twin Turbo would go like stink.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast