Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrymorri View Post
    Hi, my sons mk4 3 door golf has water in near side front and rear, when i run water down near side front drain hole of sun roof the water comes out of the bottom of door not through rubber grommet by door hinge .
    When I run water down sun roof drain hole drivers side the water drains out under the car under drivers footwell , again not the rubber grommet by door hinge . The grommets don't seem to be blocked but surely they must be???.
    any advice very very welcome .
    They're Blocked. Unblock all 4!
    2 at front 2 at rear, then problem of water inside car is sorted.
    pull the rubber drain hoses off by the door hingem you will find a massive worm like creature (I joke) up inside the tube, pull it out and there you go, there are unblocked.
    also use screwdriver and copious amounts of hot water to clean black bung holes by dorr hinge, take them inside and do in the sink.
    yes pain in the *** to get back on for sure, but must be done to stop the water coming inside car.
    laters

1 1 0

2. Re: MK 4 Golf water leaking into the car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi - similar problem with water coming over the rubber into whichever footwell is on the higher side when the car is parked on a camber. The problem is water running down in the area around the door hinge, hitting the little rubber dam stuck to the bottom of the door and not running out under the door but lapping up and over into the car. Solution: cutting off the little rubber dam ( which seems to serve no purpose anyway).

0 0 0

3. Re: MK 4 Golf water leaking into the car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's because the "clever" people at VW decided not to glue the pipe coming from sunroof to the said rubber nipple in the door/wing... You need to take out the rubber plug with the nipple above the door hinge (beware the pipe is way too short...) and try and superglue it into the nipple/plug thingy, it's not easy, but when you're pouring water down the sunroof weephole it should come out of there!

0 0 0

4. Re: MK 4 Golf water leaking into the car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    I was forever squeezing the nipples after any heavy rain and also after washing the car. Never experienced any problems with water ingress.
    Strange that it was only ever the drivers door nipple that produced any water, the passenger one never did.
    I was advised on this forum to cut a small V shaped part of the rubber out, perhaps that may help someone.

Hope you all get sorted out.

Marko

0 0 0

5. Re: MK 4 Golf water leaking into the car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After trying various other possible leak points (ventilation inlet on bulkhead, inner door panels) I finally tested the front sunroof drain. It was no longer connected to the nipple on the door pillar. I could hear the test water dribbling down the pillar but not a drop from the nipple.

I gained access to the the upper connection of the drain tube by dropping the headlining but the tube is very well attached at this end - no need to drop the headlining to solve this issue.

So to solve without dropping the headlining:

1. Ease out the drain nipple / grommet
    2. Feed a tube or stiff wire down the drain tube from the sunroof at the top. I used some 6mm outside diameter pneumatic tubing that I had in the man cave.
    3. Feed that tube / stiff wire through the drain nipple (after you have cleaned out the crud from it)
    4. Hold the tube/stiff wire to stop it slipping through the nipple whilst pulling it from the sunroof end. This will pull the nipple back onto the offending drain tube. You could apply some glue to the nipple where the tube pulls into it to hopefully stop it shaking out again. I didn't but will if there is a next time.
    5. Pull the tube/stiff wire back out the sunroof end.
    6. Push grommet lip back around hole in pillar
    7. Tip some test water down drain tube and watch it dribble or run out of the nipple.
    8. Dry out the carpet.

Hope this helps someone else. 5/10 minutes to do after many hours drying out the carpets and working though the other solutions.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12