Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I'm new to VW having just come out of an Audi A6. I've just done the pollen filter as the carpets stink and have mould growing on them - Nice! Would it be better to remove the carpet for professional cleaning, or just get the seats out and get a proper valeter round?

Secondly, the Audi had MMI where I could choose which doors I wanted to unlock when I pressed the fob, the Passat obviously does not have this. When I press unlock on the fob once, the drivers door unlocks, the interior light comes on for a second then goes out, but if you press unlock twice in quick sucession the drivers door will unlock and the interior light goes on for 20 or so secs. Other times when I do this, all the doors unlock.
    Now the question, something is causing the car to either think the door locked itself again, or it is not unlocking fully. What should I check first to get to the bottom of this issue? At all times the car can be opened using one press on the fob, it's just the interior light that bothers me, as it is useful when it's dark.

The car is a slightly leggy 52 plate 1.9tdi S estate (donkey powered), it has a full history, but I've read that the water ingress from the pollen filter can cause ccm problems, for now all my windows/ mirrors and things are working, but is this wishful thinking? I understand that the doors can be recoded to all unlock on one press, and that is high on my list of jobs to do, anyone near to Lincoln with VAG com.

Daz

0 0 0

2. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yes you need VAG COM to change the lock to unlock all doors, it can also set it to lock all the doors at 5mph. Maybe you have a CCM problem when the water got under the carpet. It may be best to left them and thoroughly wash off the mildew while checking the CCM and wiring.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

3. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I'm not frightened of removing the carpet, are you suggesting I might already have a problem? If there is no corrosion obvious, whats my next step? I will be getting VAG COM, but will possibly a couple of months off yet as I'm in the long process of moving home

0 0 0

4. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Get the carpet up. Unwrap the ccm wires and look for damage, especially at soldered joints. Have a real good look and follow the wires a good distance. Sounds like yours are on the way out.

0 0 0

5. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yes, the water wicks up inside the wires and turns them to black powder.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

6. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Wow, you don't mess about on here do you? The other forum I frequent takes ages to get any repiles.
    Thanks, will be stripping the car at the weekend then

0 0 0

7. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check plenum chamber drain under the car aswell. If that blocks water finds it's way into the car, thus manky carpets and ccm problems. VW maydo this for free as my 2001 tdi was recalled for this.

1 0 0

8. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hmmm, tried the ******* approach... "what recall sir? I'm sorry, we know nothing about it. We can repair your pollen filter for 30 mins labour plus vat, plus parts" (took me 2 hours or so, but used roof and gutter sealant as it was Sunday and no access to the proper cord)

New question now, how the **** do you get the carpet out? I have a copy of the workshop manual, but cannot think of a suitable description for 'carpet'. Most of it looks straightforward, apart from round the heater box, it looks as though I would have to remove it just to slide out the carpet? There must be an easier way, I can do the seats, lower dash etc. but the front has me stumped until I can find it on the manual somewhere.

Also the gear gaiter is very badly worn, VW want £26 for a new one, but it does come with a new gear knob. I thought that was dear, what does anyone else think? Really only need the leathery peice to be honest.

Daz

0 0 0

9. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Why does fe ck cause astericks to be placed in my post, also steal ers?

0 0 0

10. Re: Potential stupid questions from a newbie 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stig414 View Post
    Hmmm, tried the ******* approach... "what recall sir? I'm sorry, we know nothing about it. We can repair your pollen filter for 30 mins labour plus vat, plus parts" (took me 2 hours or so, but used roof and gutter sealant as it was Sunday and no access to the proper cord)

New question now, how the **** do you get the carpet out? I have a copy of the workshop manual, but cannot think of a suitable description for 'carpet'. Most of it looks straightforward, apart from round the heater box, it looks as though I would have to remove it just to slide out the carpet? There must be an easier way, I can do the seats, lower dash etc. but the front has me stumped until I can find it on the manual somewhere.

Also the gear gaiter is very badly worn, VW want £26 for a new one, but it does come with a new gear knob. I thought that was dear, what does anyone else think? Really only need the leathery peice to be honest.

Daz
    I had the flood earlier this year, i decided to remove the carpets but on looking decided no. Use a carpet cleaner to suck all moisture from the felt and then prop the carpet up and leave a de-humidifier running over-night, works fine!
    I opened the CCM to find corrosion on the connectors and damp so its worth investigating further, if damp put the board in the airing cupboard for a day after washing in clean water to remove deposits.
    The knob and and gaiter can be bought for £8 off a famous auction site (search for "Passat knob and gaitor" sic.)
    The single press open doors mod was the reason I purchased Vag Com initally but it is a MUST for these cars (get a lead from the famous auction site for a few quid then purchase a license for $99), if you have not got a laptop buy a cheap one from same.
    p.s. take the rubber sock valve out from below the battery tray, no more floods and I can find no detrimental effects.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast