1. 1.8T Man Gearbox snags? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm beginning to think I have bought a right lemon. (2002 1.8T SE bought secong hand from VW dealer with 3 month warranty just over a month ago). Have just had water pump replaced now I cant get the car into 1st or reverse when I first start the car in the morning. The reason I'm picking your brains is that the so called warranty doesnt cover diagnostics (nice) so any suggestions would be warmly accepted then at least I can go back to the dealer a bit better equipped. I have vagcom but dont think this will help though Im open to suggestions. Scanning through the site I'm seeing that there could be a thrust bearing problem???? Thanks very much in advance.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Paddy,

Regardless of whether the dealer has supplied you with an aftermarket warrant or not, the dealer is responsible for the quality of the goods that they sold and are not absolved of their obligations by giving you a warranty that only covers part of the repairs etc.

Go back to the dealer you bought the car off and get them to repair it. If needs be, quote the sale of goods act (look your rights up on the internet, used car rights wrt warranties are quite clear in that the seller remains responsible).

Don't accept crap or being fobbed off. My Passat sprang a leak from the radiator after having it for 3 weeks. The warranty company would only pay 90% so I got the selling dealer to make up the difference. They didn't quibble because they knew that it was down to them. If you have only had the car a short time and you paid a reasonable price from a dealer, you should expect it to be of merchantable quality.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much indeed, I will give them a bell today. Also had a chip looked at by autoglass yesterday. The dealer told us not to worry about it as it had been filled. Imagine my surprise when the autoglass man told us the repair was crap and we need a new windscreen. I think martins VW of Andover are going to be really happy when I roll up at the weekend.

Thanks for the steers mate
    Paddy

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Paddymm, How come you only got 3 months warranty, I bought a 2002 Passat 1.8T Sport from Vindis at Sawston in Cambridgeshire 2 months ago and it came with 1 years VW warranty. They may have already factored it into the selling price but I didn't have to pay any extra, they said their used cars all come with 12 months VW warranty.
    Even if they built the warranty into the price I still got £500.00 off the screen price. I had a problem with the rear parking sensors and they didn't say anything about paying for the diagnostics they just got on and did it while I waited. First time I've bought a car from them but I won't hesitate to go back there for my next one.

0 0 0

5. Gearbox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Is the car an auto or manual? if it's a manual I've heard of the release bearing failing and/or the clutch pressure plate fingers being bent,resulting in a clutch that won't fully dis-engage,can you select gears okay with the engine off/not running?If you can this suggests this problem,good luck with this,Calum.

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.8T Man Gearbox snags? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    At intervals I look back and spot threads I should have added to .....

The 1.8T gearbox itself may be a decent design - but the bellhousing is not.

When I removed the engine (that a PO had blown up) I was astonished by the amount of rust and general crap on the release bearing, its guide sleeve and the whole of the clutch cover and diaphragm spring. You would think it had been underwater. There are several open holes in the housing that serve only to let water in when you drive through a puddle. Diabolical design.

When I collected a 'new' engine to put in my car, I noticed the donor 1.8T's clutch area was similarly rusty.

Before I put this engine in I cleaned off all the rust from the release bearing guide tube and fitted a new release bearing as part of a 3-part clutch kit. Used moly grease on sliding area.

THEN found suitable rubber bungs for all the holes except one to the offside rear where I used a drilled bung fitted with a clear plastic 'breather' pipe. This was tie-wrapped down the side of the box.
    I can now drive through puddles safe in the knowledge that the clutch area is remaining dry and rust free.
    Muddy

0 0 0