Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

I wouldn't mind getting the diagnostic equipment but don't know where to start. Their website is awful TBH! There is very little explaination for home users.

Can someone help me please if you don't mind!

I am a home user, have a new laptop with vista and drive an 02 Bora TDI. I would like to be able to do the testing myself! What all do I need, can I get it on e.g. ebay, software etc! Like on Ross-Tech they say it costs so much but then it says to download. Is it a trial version they have for download because it doesn't say.

Sorry to be a nuisence!

Regards,

Conor Rooney
    Feb 2002 1.9 TDI ATD 100BHP Bora. Here is a look: http://file035b.bebo.com/0/large/200...729032046l.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes they have trial software.

This version: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/archives.html works with ebay/3rd party cables but they are nowhere near as functional, reliable or useful as the most current version.

If you need VCDS, the best thing to buy is the HEX+CAN interface, that way you are relatively futureproof and you can work on anything VAG from the 1990s to the present day.

0 0 0

3. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    ...... Their website is awful TBH! There is very little explaination for home users. ......... I am a home user, have a new laptop with vista and drive an 02 Bora TDI. I would like to be able to do the testing myself! What all do I need, can I get it on e.g. ebay, software etc!

Like on Ross-Tech they say it costs so much but then it says to download. Is it a trial version they have for download because it doesn't say.
    Sorry that you find our website to be so confusing. Exactly what is you want to do? You just want to read codes? Then running the 5 year old shareware versions on a wire you pick up from eBay is probably best for you.

If after you get your eBay wire working, you find that the shareware does not meet your need and you want full diagnostic support, you can buy a full license for the 5 year old software by going to this page: http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=VAGCOM

If 5 year old software is not what you want and you want the current products, then you can look up the interfaces that are compatible with your car on this chart: http://download.ross-tech.com/VCDS/d...lityCharts.pdf

To summarize, our KEY/KII and MicroCAN products are intended for enthusiasts covering a portion of all diagnostic capable VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda models. Our HEX series interfaces are intended for advance users who want coverage over all VW based cars from 1990 forward.

All current generation software requires a genuine Ross-Tech interface. No aftermarket interface will run with the current software.

Let's address your other point on price: VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic Tool) is a factory level diagnostic tool. I dare you to go find an equivalent tool priced lower than VCDS. Also, show me another vendor for aftermarket scan tools that spends the kind of resources we spend helping Vdub owners around the world. I promise you - you will find few if any. But then you likely will never need that support. So, it has no value for you.

Enjoy the eBay wire and the free version of our software. Oh - yeah that's right, there are many who offer free versions of their products out there - aren't there?

1 0 0

4. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you do decide to buy the hex-can it does come with a very easy to understand set up guide and once up and running you can work out how to use it pretty quickly

'spose vcds isn't as user friendly as it could be and the user interface is a bit 1990's looking i would imagine thats probably true of most diagnostic software

i was very impressed with the service from ross-tech , got my cable delivered to my door in the uk 2 days after ordering (i was very impressed as previous US on-line purchases have taken ages to get to me ) - no customs charges etc
    B8 2.7 TDi debadged multitronic saloon S-Line 20mm drop in monza silver , sat nav , milano leather , cruise control , hill hold , advanced parking , advanced key , Bluefin chipped 236BPH 470NM , TPMS and ADS activated via VAG-COM

0 0 0

5. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.7 S-line View Post
    if you do decide to buy the hex-can it does come with a very easy to understand set up guide and once up and running you can work out how to use it pretty quickly

'spose vcds isn't as user friendly as it could be and the user interface is a bit 1990's looking. i would imagine thats probably true of most diagnostic software
    It's 90's looking to keep the computer resources required to a minimum such that it is not a memory/disk pig like so many other Vista and Windows bloat hogs. Our rule is, "Keep It Simple and Fast". Other tools, including the factory tools, are older looking and are much slower.

i was very impressed with the service from ross-tech , got my cable delivered to my door in the uk 2 days after ordering (i was very impressed as previous US on-line purchases have taken ages to get to me ) - no customs charges etc
    Thanks for the kind words. We do try. But, you will get your duties billed to you by FedEx. Expect the bill within 2 weeks or so. I'm told the amount is now 15%.

0 0 0

6. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Whenever I've dealt with Ross-Tech the service has been perfect.

I can only think of one other manufacturer specific diagnostic program and that is Opel Tech for Opel/Vauxhall.

The VAG-COM/VCDS program is worth it's weight in gold.
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged

0 0 0

7. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE Enjoy the eBay wire and the free version of our software. Oh - yeah that's right, there are many who offer free versions of their products out there - aren't there?[/QUOTE]

What does this mean? Is it sarcasm?

0 0 0

8. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRaymond View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bearthebruce
    Enjoy the eBay wire and the free version of our software. Oh - yeah that's right, there are many who offer free versions of their products out there - aren't there?
    What does this mean? Is it sarcasm?
    Yes, that was sarcasm.

0 0 0

9. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now you tell me I thought the guy was recommending them iv'e just bought one

0 0 0

10. Re: VAG-COM - Ross-Tech is CONFUSING!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you've missed the point. bearthebruce (Bruce) works for Ross-Tech.

The sarcasm was based around the fact that no-one else offers diagnostic software for you to use for free with a generic OBD lead. And even when Ross-Tech do offer it, for free, they are told that it's not good enough!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast