1. Passat Anti Roll Bar dia / 1BE Sport Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi, can anyone confirm if B5.5 Estates have the same 29mm front anti roll bar as fitted to cars with the 1BE sports suspension pack, and a 17mm solid rear, as opposed to a 15mm hollow affair?
    Thanks.
    P.S. Does Passat Estate = Passat Variant = Passat Wagon in American terms? I know they call the anti roll bar a sway bar, but is this the same as a stabilizer bar? Yanks should use proper English, they got it from us
    Last edited by limecc; 22-09-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Modded title

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat Anti Roll Bar dia 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Both 29-mm but 1BA is hollow I think and 1BE solid. All FWD Passat 3B’s used the same rear axle with a built in ARB from 1997-2005.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat Anti Roll Bar dia 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for this Steve. I'm going to keep the 1BA one initially after reading this:
    http://www.esquak.com/passat/suspension.html
    I just found this link which confirms what you have said:
    http://www.dotamatic.com/1BE/2002VolkswagenPassatFrontControlArmsfromElcatsRU.h tm

There was an excellent 1BE parts list on the dotamatic site, as well as some excellent photos. I may have stated in an earlier post I am unhappy with the stock suspension, and to avoid the dreaded 'modification' word to insurance companies, I'm going to keep to genuine VW parts and think of it as an optional extra.

A couple of years ago I picked up some brand new sport springs going cheap on Ebay (8D0 411 105 CS), and it's now time to get the rest of the bits and make the upgrade.
    In case the above website ever goes down, here's the list for anyone who's interested:

Front Suspension Fasteners
    2off, N 034 790 7, Hex Head Bolt, M10 x 100, pinch bolt for control arms
    2off, N 102 861 02, Hex Nut, shouldered self-locking, M10, for pinch bolt for control arms
    2off, N 101 064 02, Hex Nut, shouldered self-locking, M12 x 1.5, shock mount to lower control arm
    4off, N 901 838 02, Hex Nut, shouldered, M8, top of strut assembly to mounting bracket

Rear Suspension Fasteners
    2off, N 102 861 02, Hex Nut, shouldered self-locking, M10, for shock lower bolt
    2off, N 103 041 02, Hex Nut, self-locking, M10 x 1, for shock upper mount (piston to bracket)
    2off, N-104-110-01, Hex Head Bolt, M10 x 90, shock lower bolt

Note that between the front and the rear, you need a total of four N 103-041-01 hex nuts. Depending upon how you pull the front suspension, you may want a set of replacement body plugs that fill the access holes for the suspension assembly bolts. There are two ways to pull the front suspension; one method involves removing the existing plastic plugs for access to the nuts securing the top of the suspension assembly. These plugs are removed destructively, and must be replaced with new ones. There are a total of four - two on each side of the car.

Blanking Plugs
    4off, N 102 265 01, Plug

Springs / Shocks / Stop Bumpers
    2off, 3B0 413 031 R, Shock ABS - Front, for sport running gear
    2off, 3B0 513 031 P, Shock ABS - Rear, for sport running gear
    2off, 4B0 512 131 B, Stop Bumper (rubber) - Rear, for sport running gear
    2off, 8D0 412 131 E, Helper Spring (rubber) - Front, for sport running gear
    2off, 8D0 411 105 CT, Front coil spring, 0JH
    2off, 4B0 511 115 AB, Rear coil spring, 0YC

The fasteners only came to approx $15, so not worth skimping on, and the total was $750 not including anti roll bars.

I've now got to work out exactly which code springs to get for the back, and if the front ones are good for my 2003 V6 4Motion Estate. Maybe they are for a lighter saloon, but I didn't think about it during the auction.

0 0 0