Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok here goes...

Last week while driving my dads mk4 2.0 estate I drove over the mother and father of all speed bumps, and as the front wheels went over and down... BANG!... the underside of the car hit the top of the bump. Now imagine for a minute you could pause the car there at the moment of impact, is the gearbox in any way touching the top of the speed bump? Does anybody have a picture of the underside of of Golf so I can see where the gearbox is in relation to the wheels?

The reason I'm asking is because a couple of days later the gearbox locked up solid while my dad was driving home from work, with no pre-warning anything was wrong. Is it possible I cracked the casing on that bloody huge bump, causing the oil to drain out and knackering the box? Does the mk4 suffer any sudden gearbox death problems?

Please help someone! Although my dads been fine about the fact that I may have buggered his car, the bill is somewhere around £600 for the garage to fix it and I need to know if I did it!
    2001 VW Passat 1.8 20v Turbo SE

"You might be a King or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the Reaper"

0 0 0

2. Re: Urgent help needed please!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    You are more likely to hit the sump than the box. If the failure is 5th gear disintegrating them what happened was that a loose bolt for the reverse gear selector moved from where it had been lying after falling out at some point, and it was dislodged enough to slide into 5th gear, a common problem.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Similar Threads

1. Urgent help needed ! air con maybe ??
    By plumo in forum Audi A4 - B5 Forum - 1995 - 2002
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
  2. urgent help needed
    By speedyscoob in forum The Commercial Range
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 09:59 PM
  3. Urgent help/advice needed. Big Problem
    By markcass in forum Passat - B5 Forum - 1997 -2005
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-12-2007, 07:52 PM
  4. Urgent Advice Needed