Hi all,

I want your help with the locking mechanism of my drivers door on my golf.

Basically, my car was in a minor smash (drivers side) and my car got re-painted etc etc.. when this was being done the lock on the drivers door failed (don't know how). So I said go ahead with getting a new one.

The problem is as follows:

When I get in my car, I usually lock all doors with the lock/unlock button (stop people getting in the boot when I'm in traffic as I always put my stuff [laptop etc] in the boot).

At the end of my journey (car still being locked) I just pull the handle to unlock the drivers door, as the door is locked pulling the handle just unlocks the door, I then pull the handle again to open the door. I've been doing this for years, so it's kind of a habbit.

When I do this with the new lock, it doesn't unlock it, and it even prevents the unlocking button from unlocking the drivers door... It still pops the thing up, but makes the internal handle useless.

I've spoke with the garage, and they say I should just unlock the door with the button and not the handle, and that no 'car' should do that. I proved it should be looking at another golf.

What does everyone think?