1. A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if the Adaptive Air Suspension on the current A6 can be tweaked to increase ground clearance higher than 135mm in Lift mode? I'm looking to replace my 2003 A6 Avant 1.9TDi as it can't cope with the rough and rutted tracks at our holiday home. Other car is a bog standard Ford Focus and it has no problem.

No way I can afford Allroad and don't want one as 99% of our driving is town and long distance motorway. Audi say normal height for A6 is 120mm and the AAS lowers it by 15mm for motorway driving and raises it by 15mm on "Lift" setting. At 135mm this is no higher than other competing estates BUT if it could be tweaked to go up another 10-15mm then either the 2.0 or 2.7 Diesel would be our choice.

Any ideas?

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fpa View Post
    Does anyone know if the Adaptive Air Suspension on the current A6 can be tweaked to increase ground clearance higher than 135mm in Lift mode? I'm looking to replace my 2003 A6 Avant 1.9TDi as it can't cope with the rough and rutted tracks at our holiday home. Other car is a bog standard Ford Focus and it has no problem.

No way I can afford Allroad and don't want one as 99% of our driving is town and long distance motorway. Audi say normal height for A6 is 120mm and the AAS lowers it by 15mm for motorway driving and raises it by 15mm on "Lift" setting. At 135mm this is no higher than other competing estates BUT if it could be tweaked to go up another 10-15mm then either the 2.0 or 2.7 Diesel would be our choice.

Any ideas?

What year of A6?

I Assume if its a 4F chassis then yes it can be adjusted (tweaked) using VAG COM see link to ross tech site:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/levelcontrol.html

there is info on other sites also, most people use it to lower the car but the principle is the same to raise.
    However note this procedure is to calibrate the suspension i.e. make all 4 corners the same height, altering the height is possible but at your own risk there is no info on how high you can safely raise the car.

the principle to raise the car the is to measure the distance as per the procedure but remove, example 10mm from the actual dimention and the car will then raise itself 10mm as it thinks it is too low.

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - I would be looking to buy a 2006 or newer model.

I would only want the extra height with the AAS in "Lift" mode. WOuld the adjustment you describe affect it in all positions or just "Lift"?

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fpa View Post
    Thanks - I would be looking to buy a 2006 or newer model.

I would only want the extra height with the AAS in "Lift" mode. WOuld the adjustment you describe affect it in all positions or just "Lift"?

Thanks

It would affect all height positions .

in that case, to my knowledge, I would say it is not possible to adjust the height setting in one position only.

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    also be careful if you recalibrate with VCDS, it'll bring up an error if you go say past 10mm or so, i tried this on my Phaeton tons of times to lower it...

Only real way is to :

Calibrate to stock settings ( a 5 min job )

Fit some adjustable lowering links, and this does the bit of fooling the levelling sensors.

No other way easily, as the s/w detects a ride height error when comparing with the datum readings from the levelling sensors.

Hope this helps.
    2007 3.0 tdi S-Line Avant.
    20 inch RS alloys, F/r park distance,S-Line leather, colour coded All road side skirts, Xenons
    Luv it !

1 0 0

6. Re: A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Until your reply this thread was ancient. If anyone else is looking for a solution I'd suggest fitting larger tyres to give more ground clearance.

allroad sizes should lift a standard car a bit although oversized allroad sizes e.g. 235/55 17 and 235/50 18 might not fit a standard car with air suspension. Ensure your insurers are aware too.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    And it will also put your speedo out.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 Avant Air Suspension 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Only if you increase the tyre size beyond the percentage (well almost, like mark up vs margin) by which the speedo's manufactured to overread.

I've not passed that point on any of my conversions yet even when getting my Skoda to ride 10mm higher.

0 0 0