1. 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    afternoon all, apologies in advance for the long post, but trying to give as much info as possible...

my 2.0 GTi (AQY, 92000 miles) has been running poorly for a little while now intermittently. in short, it is rough when idling and occaisionally misfires when driving, usually at just below 2000 rpm. i've also noticed that fuel consumption is erratic and there is sometimes a noticeable fuel smell when it is idling.

this morning i've changed the plugs for exact replacement NGK's. on removing the old ones i noticed one plug showed significant signs of fouling, whereas the other 3 looked normal. i don't know enough to say which cylinder this plug was for, but it was the furthest right one as you look at it from the front of the car, connected to the 'D' HT lead.

having driven it a few miles round town it does seem to be driving better, but the engine warning light has come on and it is still lumpy on idle. i've read the codes using a friends reader and it came up with a lambda probe fault (which would possibly explain the fouling on the plug, the smell and erratic fuel consumption) and a multiple / random misfire on cylinders 2 and 3. with this in mind i'm thinking the coil pack could also be a factor as i understand they are prone to going.

i guess what i'm asking for advice on is what to try next...lambda sensor, coil pack, HT leads or anything else that i could look into before i start throwing money at something that could turn out to be a red herring!!

thanks for taking the time to have a read, any advice gratefully received

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    That is plug 4 and one cylinder plug fouling is worrying as that indicates a possible oil control problem. Lambda sensors on these engines are very prone to failure just because they are faulty or due to plug, lead, coil pack and Air Mass Meter issues. Plug leads are a constant problem on these engines and as you have replaced the plugs with the correct spec NGK’s (all I will use in that engine) I would suggest a new lambda sensor and a set of plug leads. Those sensors are a right sod to get out by the way.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Wink Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks Crasher. An oil control problem does also make sense as I have had another intermittent "Oil Sensor Warning" come up on the dash display recently. I assumed this was predominantly just a level sensor and wasn't worried by it as I check the oil regularly, but it sounds like I'm wrong with this assumption!?

Any suggestions on which manufacturer of lambda sensor? I found some brand new Bosch ones online for £70. Also any tips on replacing the sensor?

Cheers!

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    If it is not using any oil it is not an oil control problem by which I meant rings and/or valve guides/seals, not the sensor. The lambda sensor is very difficult to get out with a 22-mm lambda sensor removal tool, I use Bosch or genuine which are normally Bosch anyway.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah ok. It doesn't seem to be using any more than usual, and as I said I check regularly cos I know these engines are heavy on the oil consumption. so, from the sounds of it, its an awkward job cos of the special tools required, rather than accessing the sensor??

as for the leads is it worth spending a little extra and going for something like magnecor's, as from what i can tell they are not a lot more ££ than a set of OE spec!? especially if the OE's are prone to failing on this engine...

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    I would not use anything other the genuine VW leads or my own Blue Igniters which are made in the USA using German Bremi ends.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

7. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for all your help so far...just to give an update:

the engine management light has gone off on the dash now and it definately doesn't seem to be misfiring when driving as it did before the plug change (certainly not that i can feel anyway). it is still a little lumpy on idle though, especially from a cold start.

i'm going to see if i can get a fault code reading again later this week and see what comes up. is it unusual for a lambda probe fault to be intermittent?

cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Not intermittent as such, just slow response.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry to re-instate a post thats a few weeks old, but i'm still having issues...

intermittently (again) the engine will rev itself up to about 4000 rpm. i've also had some occaisions where it just won't start, it'll just keep turning over but won't fire.

the engine warning light has been on solidly for a couple of weeks now.

i've got the shareware version of vagcom on my laptop, so read the codes earlier (and cleared them):

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 018 ED
    Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/2V MOTR HS V04
    Software Coding: 00031
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00580
    5 Faults Found:
    16525 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Heating Circuit Malfunction
    P0141 - 35-00 - -
    16500 - 16500/P0116/000278 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
    P0116 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
    16523 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Response too Slow
    P0139 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
    16515 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Signal too Low
    P0131 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    16524 - 16524/P0140/000320 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: No Activity
    P0140 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

Any thoughts??

0 0 0

10. Re: 2.0 GTi poor running and misfire 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Fit a new coolant temp sender but it looks as though both lambda sensors have failed so you need to replace them. Be careful where you buy these from, there is some terrible rubbish out there.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0