Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what might have happened to my Golf when in the care of my insurance company.

A bit of history...
    I was hit in the rear at a pedestrian crossing. A bit of damage to the rear bumper. Car was perfectly drivable, infact did about 120 miles after the accident. Insurance companies notified etc. my insurance company arranged to pick the car up from my home. They came with a low loader, car was driven onto the low loader and that is the last I have seen of it.

I had a routine call from the repair shop saying that the parts were on order for the rear bumper but that there was a problem with the engine and it needed an oil top up. (it is due a service but oil is normally topped up every 1000 miles or so). they said they would top up the oil etc.

Then they called back about 20mins later saying there was a big hole in the base of the engine and the oil going in the top was coming straight out the bottom...

after much chat back and forth they sent me this picture of the hole (attached)... with no explanation or idea how it may have been caused.

Not having much knowledge of the underside of these cars can anyone advise me on the correct action to be taken? I imagine the engine needs to be taken out and a new part fitted.

Also, is there not a sump guard that covers this area?

And any theorys on what could have caused this? I'm thinking it was dropped on a pin in the ground off a jack or something??

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatfully received!

Thanks, JB
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    these sumps are cast ally and are prone to damage if contact is made with the ground whilst driving. i recovered a fair few whilst with vw assistance. the damage to yours though looks too localised though for this to have happened. how was it recovered? was it a flat bed or a spec lift? (a spec lift lifts only the front wheels). it will indeed require a new sump, but this is a simple job and doesnt require removal of the engine. there is no sump guard as such, only the plastic undertray, which doesnt prevent damage to the sump.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info Zollaf, the recovery truck was a flat bed.

If the damage had been done whilst driving I would expect more linea damage in the direction of travel, lots of scraping etc.

and there was not a drop of oil on my drive...

Good news that the engine doesn't have to come out, but i am worried about any other damage that may not be immediately obvious...

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just pray they did not start it to get it inside the garrage especially with no oil in the engine !

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    a spec lift could have been the cause, as the car would have been bouncing on the trip, and hitting on the frame. i would say then that it probably has been dropped onto something. as you say, if it were from driving, i would not expect to see a hole like that, with no other damage. even from a slow impact on a rock or raised part of road i have seen holes big enough to put a fist through, with large cracks around it.
    i wonder why they checked the oil level ? this isnt normal body shop practice, is it ? sounds like they know what they have done. why waste a phone call to tell you the oil is slightly low?

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seeing as it obviously didn't get this damage from when the car was rear ended, I would suggest you make sure the insurance company are aware of it (if you haven't already) and insist that this damage must have been caused whilst in their possession. Just make sure they don't try to screw you for the costs of repairing it.
    RUSS

2008 VW GOLF GT TDI, 6 speed manual, Sunroof, RNS 510. Chipped UK ST3

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it was ok when it left your home. Clearly the repair shop has damaged it so they should foot the bill.

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I have seen this before, recovery wagons dragging the car onto the bed pull the car across tie down points etc on the bed and drag a gouge out of the sump. They damaged it and it is their problem plus any possible consequential damage to the car.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The issue is with getting either the recovery people or the repair centre to addmit liability. Which they are clearly not going to do... Standard line being 'it wasn't us, must have been the recovery people/repair shop'.

The insurance company won't proceed with repairs until they have aportioned blame. So despite being as stern and demanding as I can I am in limbo and awaiting the next stage.

Lining up the lawyer...

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf MkV TDi damaged by insurance company - Hole in engine!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    in your first post you state the car was driven onto a lowloader. was it actually driven or winched? you should also have had to sign a form that would have stated any damage that was on the car already. if it was driven, then it cant have had a hole in the sump, as with no oil in the engine it wouldnt have gone anywhere. if it were driven on, then if something was on the loadbed, as crasher suggests, the car may have bounced on it on its journey, causing the damage.
    please keep us up to date, and good luck.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast