Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

As above, where can I purchase the MAF sensor? And how much would a genuwine one will cost?

Also, I was thinking to clean out the EGR valve. Can anyone tell me whereabouts is it located? And is it an easy job to clean it out?

0 0 0

2. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, the EGR valve is located just under the plastic black or grey cover to the left of the oil filler cap, you will see the top of it as it's round light bronzish metal as picture shows...
    Hope that helps you...

Regards, Karl

1 0 0

3. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cptk View Post
    Hi there, the EGR valve is located just under the plastic black or grey cover to the left of the oil filler cap, you will see the top of it as it's round light bronzish metal as picture shows...
    Hope that helps you...

Regards, Karl
    Thank you Karl

Just one more question on the EGR Valve, How do I open it up? Would I need a special tool to open it?

0 0 0

4. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Zeb, It’s not that difficult to remove the EGR valve unit, I didn’t take mine apart, just replaced it the new one cost me £170 Once you see it there is not a lot to it, large in and out holes with large butterfly inside, I know that you can clean them out, but not sure what can be stripped apart.

Perhaps some else can jump in.

Regards, Karl

0 0 0

5. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, it's not a particularly hard job, but it's not nice either.

Get the engine cover off (10mm bolts) to reveal the engine bay properly, remove the stupid bit of foam too.. There is a thick pipe that comes out of the EGR and briefly heads towards the yellow brake fluid cap (in the picture above) before making a 90degree turn towards the nearside of the car. After about 30cm there is a clip and the pipe goes rather flattened and plastic. Take that clip off.
    Now go back to the EGR. You will see a black silicone pipe going into the top - pull it out. Another black fabricy pipe going into a little black thing next to the EGR - take it off, it's not on very hard, just give it a tug.

Next is the hard/annoying bit. You need a size 5 (I think - HAVE SPARES AS YOU'LL PROBABLY LOSE 1 OR 2!) allen key and there are 3 bolts to undo - the bolts are facing the windscreen - 2 on the top and one located really awkwardly underneath the EGR on the side closest to the engine. It's a right bugger to get to. I ended up putting something underneath because I kept dropping the allen key! You'll only be able to do 1/4 - 3/4 of a turn at a time. Once all 3 allen key bolts are out, you'll notice it's a bit looser. Now all you have to do is take out the 2 medium sized bolts from the bottom of the pipe that comes out the bottom of the EGR. Look into the engine in the gap in front of the EGR and you'll see it, it's a circular pipe with a bolt either side. Undo and remove these - they're in VERY tight! (Mine had begun to rust, so I greased them up a bit) Once they're undone, pull off (hard) that pipe I mentioned at the beginning and the EGR, plus a bit of piping to the rear and a 30cm-ish piece of metal pipe underneath will pull right out of the car.

To clean it, get loads of degreaser, a couple of toothbrushes and loads of bits of fabric. Wear old clothes and 2 pairs of gloves if you have them. Give it a good scrub and clean as best you can - especially around the flap inside (The black thing attached to the side of the EGR - fiddle with it and you'll see the flap move, the black little fabricy pipe you took out is the vacuum pipe that activates it). The inside of the EGR is actually silver and shiny, so aim for that!

When you're ready to put back on, you'll need t replace the 2 gaskets you have separated - there's a bit of rubber sunk in to the EGR where you took the allen bolts out and one at the bottom of the pipe where you took the 2 tight bolts off. The part number for the EGR gasket is 909 273 02. I'm sorry but I don't know the number for the other one - because I took a risk and didn't change it on mine!!!

When you put everything back together, do the 2 bolts up a little bit, but not tight - wait until the EGR allen bolts are in and 1/2 done up so everything is lined up. the rest is just the reverse of what you did.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions! I can do you some pics too if you're stuck!

1 0 0

6. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benjie View Post
    Yes, it's not a particularly hard job, but it's not nice either.

Get the engine cover off (10mm bolts) to reveal the engine bay properly, remove the stupid bit of foam too.. There is a thick pipe that comes out of the EGR and briefly heads towards the yellow brake fluid cap (in the picture above) before making a 90degree turn towards the nearside of the car. After about 30cm there is a clip and the pipe goes rather flattened and plastic. Take that clip off.
    Now go back to the EGR. You will see a black silicone pipe going into the top - pull it out. Another black fabricy pipe going into a little black thing next to the EGR - take it off, it's not on very hard, just give it a tug.

Next is the hard/annoying bit. You need a size 5 (I think - HAVE SPARES AS YOU'LL PROBABLY LOSE 1 OR 2!) allen key and there are 3 bolts to undo - the bolts are facing the windscreen - 2 on the top and one located really awkwardly underneath the EGR on the side closest to the engine. It's a right bugger to get to. I ended up putting something underneath because I kept dropping the allen key! You'll only be able to do 1/4 - 3/4 of a turn at a time. Once all 3 allen key bolts are out, you'll notice it's a bit looser. Now all you have to do is take out the 2 medium sized bolts from the bottom of the pipe that comes out the bottom of the EGR. Look into the engine in the gap in front of the EGR and you'll see it, it's a circular pipe with a bolt either side. Undo and remove these - they're in VERY tight! (Mine had begun to rust, so I greased them up a bit) Once they're undone, pull off (hard) that pipe I mentioned at the beginning and the EGR, plus a bit of piping to the rear and a 30cm-ish piece of metal pipe underneath will pull right out of the car.

To clean it, get loads of degreaser, a couple of toothbrushes and loads of bits of fabric. Wear old clothes and 2 pairs of gloves if you have them. Give it a good scrub and clean as best you can - especially around the flap inside (The black thing attached to the side of the EGR - fiddle with it and you'll see the flap move, the black little fabricy pipe you took out is the vacuum pipe that activates it). The inside of the EGR is actually silver and shiny, so aim for that!

When you're ready to put back on, you'll need t replace the 2 gaskets you have separated - there's a bit of rubber sunk in to the EGR where you took the allen bolts out and one at the bottom of the pipe where you took the 2 tight bolts off. The part number for the EGR gasket is 909 273 02. I'm sorry but I don't know the number for the other one - because I took a risk and didn't change it on mine!!!

When you put everything back together, do the 2 bolts up a little bit, but not tight - wait until the EGR allen bolts are in and 1/2 done up so everything is lined up. the rest is just the reverse of what you did.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions! I can do you some pics too if you're stuck!
    Hi,

I think I will print this useful info, and take it with me. If I do get stuck then I will let you know

Thanks for the info.

0 0 0

7. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anytime!

0 0 0

8. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Then once its clean, leave the vacuum off so it disables the EGR, this will keep it clean, plus produce less smoke. EGRs cause most of MOT failures due to high smoke emissions. I've had my EGR disconnected for 2years.
    A4 Avant 1.9 TDi160 for when the weather is on the damp side - Sold after 9yrs. Now A5 3.0TDI Q Sport Coupe (310bhp/480ft/lbs - Yamaha R6 for when its dry and want some 'High octane Petrol' fun.

0 0 0

9. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cptk View Post
    Hi Zeb, It’s not that difficult to remove the EGR valve unit, I didn’t take mine apart, just replaced it the new one cost me £170 Once you see it there is not a lot to it, large in and out holes with large butterfly inside, I know that you can clean them out, but not sure what can be stripped apart.

Perhaps some else can jump in.

Regards, Karl

The part with large butterfly is the engine shutdown flap. The EGR is right next to it and it has a rod through the middle with a valve on the end and also has the 'flying saucer' on the top.
    A4 Avant 1.9 TDi160 for when the weather is on the damp side - Sold after 9yrs. Now A5 3.0TDI Q Sport Coupe (310bhp/480ft/lbs - Yamaha R6 for when its dry and want some 'High octane Petrol' fun.

0 0 0

10. Re: MAF Sensor and EGR Valve 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It can also be almost disabled using VAG-COM too.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast