1. alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi to you all, this is my first thread/post here. I dont own a haynes manual for this alhambra and a bit stuck as to what to do
    We've owned this car for a few months now and its been reliable (outstandingly) but Monday eve I went to start her up and she wouldnt for the first few tries but then ran ok while it was driving but then after filling up with petrol and trying to restart the engine at the garage forecourt it had difficulties again and made me get a bit embarrassed in front of all the other drivers lol.
    Anyway, went to start it this a.m and it just wont have it at all, turns over nicely but just wont fire up. I know a few times we have run it low on petrol recently so I wondered if the filter had got blocked by some crap from the bottom of the tank. Popped in to our local PMA motor factors and got a new filter, replaced that after wasting time under the bonnet trying to find it, only to find it under the main body concealed in some plastic harness

Then kept turning the key hoping to fill the filter and get some petrol going to the engine but alas! STILL not firing up (well, it did try to fire briefly and I got excited but to no avail)

I forgot to mention, before I thought it might be the fuel filter at fault, I cleaned the contacts in the distributor by gently scratching the carbon off with a flat head screwdriver. Have you got any idea what could be wrong at all? its honestly been running sweet up till the other day and over night its developed this problem.

Any help here would be appreciated because if I can fix the car I can take the mrs and kids down to the coast for their weeks holiday that they've been looking forward to (I get to stay at home and have my own holiday in between!)

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    you may have scratched the distributor cap, so i would replace that and the rotor arm first, then if that doesnt work, let us know, but add some more details about the car, like age, engine code etc.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    you may have scratched the distributor cap, so i would replace that and the rotor arm first, then if that doesnt work, let us know, but add some more details about the car, like age, engine code etc.
    thanks, its p reg by the way, will check out the engine code and post it up. The cap and rotor arm should be ok shouldnt it? Ive done this on many cars with no probs before and its usually good enough to drive around for a bit or at least till you get a new cap and arm and maybe a set of plugs, Im no mechanic though.

0 0 0

4. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    ok, so you need to establish why it wont start. first check to see if you have a spark. remove the plugs and see if they are wet with fuel. clean and refit plugs. replace the ht leads, but put one onto a spare sparkplug and hold that against the engine while someone cranks it, while you look for a good spark. you may also need to check the cambelt to make sure it hasnt slipped. remove the top cover and have a good look for damage and check its tensioned.
    have a look and let us know what you find.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok will try all that asap and let you know what happens. thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, I couldnt find the engine code, the engine sits far back in the bay and not sure where abouts it would be on this engine :S
    But, I have found a problem. After taking out the plugs, cleaning them and putting them back, I kept one out and like you suggested held it close to the engine, got my mate to turn it over a few times and noticed that the plug only made ONE spark and that spark only happened when the key was first turned, nice bright spark but literally only once on each turn of the key!
    What could this be, I was thinking ignition coil or distributor, it would be great if its only a new cap and rotor arm and leads that I need but worried its gonna be something more expensive
    any suggestions?

0 0 0

7. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my mate reckons it will be the coil pack? is this likely?
    anyone help?
    Cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    The engine code will be ADY. The three most common failures are the ECU relay (number 30 printed on top), the crank speed sensor or the coil. The crank sensor will show up under a fault code read, the other two will not.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for replying crasher, sorry to seem thick but whats ADY? does the number begin with ADY or what?

would a failure of ANY one of the parts you mentioned give the symptoms Ive noticed, i.e overnight problem of difficulty starting to not starting at all and the spark plug only giving up one spark for each turn of the key.
    Ive also noticed the vacuum (I think) braided rubber tube is looking a bit perished and the other one or two tubes next to it are the same, dont know if thats anything to do with the problem but probably a good idea to replace these when I find out and fix the non spark problem.

cheers in advance

0 0 0

10. Re: alhambra 2ltr petrol death 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    The engine code is ADY, it is its identification.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast