Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Cam belt changed but now has problems !

1. Cam belt changed but now has problems ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I recently brought a superb A4 2.5 TDi V6 163 SE on a 52 plate with 76k on the clock. Because of the mileage I immediatley booked it in for a major service plus Cam belt change. To save money and because they really did seem to know what they were doing went with a National Service centre. Took them a couple of days to complete and apparently they had to get a special kit in (which they didn't charge me for thanks to the fixed prcing policy)....picked it up Friday, all fine, drove home and left until went to drive Sunday and it started then immediatley cut out. Several attempts and one AA visit later, still same issue - it does drive okay but if you stop it cuts out. Seems the idling revs are very low and it doesn't sound right at all- very rattley. Have taken back to service centre but concerned that they might end up making it worse if they don't know what they're doing...I'm convinced this has got to do with the Cam belt change but any ideas from anyone.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    My guess is that the injection pump timing has been altered.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Naylopa, I am having the same problem! I drive a 2002 A4, 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant. I had the timing belt changed last week at a VW dealer (they said they were very experienced with Audis) and it drove fine on the way home, but after a day or two I had the same symptoms. Low idling, loud rattly engine, uneven idling and cutting out when stopping or manoeuvring at low speeds. I took it back and have been told today it needs a 'Hydraulic Ram' (does anyone know what this is?). This they have agreed to fit free of charge if I pay for the part (£90 ex VAT), which is good of them. It remains to be seen if this will solve the problem. Will keep you posted.
    I'm not sure of the timing belt kit includes a new tensioner and water pump but after some serious surfing I think these should be done too so I'm going to ask them to do it while they have the car in bits.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Architectboy, glad to know I'm not the only one suffering ! Have got an update of the garage today on mine, apparently the actual Cam Belt they fitted was 2 teeth too long, so although the timing was right it was hitting against the housing and basically not working very well at all. They said that Audi supply 2 different belts for the V6 TDi engine and clearly they had the wrong one for mine.
    They are re-fitting today (for free which is expected but still good to know) and hope to have it back to me tomorrow, I had a look at the front end with them and can understand what a big job it is now ! Will let you know if and when any more updates. Forgot to ask about the water pump etc, will follow up on that too so thanks for the info.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Naylopa. I had the Hydraulic Ram replaced (and the water pump replaced too) and that seems to have sorted the problem. It seems the belt was incorrectly tensioned. Anyway, old Auders is purring sweetly again now.

0 0 0