Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had a 2002 1.9tdi where the turbo did not kick in at all - I think if you have changed the MAF meter - try changing the map sensor - on the diagnotics

The other posibility is the variable vanes could be sticking - try looing around to a mechnic who knows about Turbos and diagnositics - VW are not necessarily the experts - as they only use computers - not necessarily intelect. - did the turbo show a reading? If it was too high then it is a electrical fault with the sensor - which is why the turbo does not kick in as it goes on to limp mode to spare the turbo - a l lot of dealers fob cusotmers off by telling them that there turbo is gone - all they do is take the reconditioned part - check it over and sell it on! Dont always trust dealers - and always get a second or third opinion

how easy is it to replace the turbo?

0 0 0

2. Re: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,sorry to jump in ,my 115 bhp 2000 sharan is doing the same thing,comes up with 17964 code,ive replaced the maf,i have bought a new n75,is it the one on the left or the right on the bulkhead as they both look the same in the dark!! Cheers Tim

0 0 0

3. Re: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Look at the part number they are different or trace the vacuum hoses on the n75 the hose runs to the turbo and on the n18 the hose runs to the EGR valve

0 0 0

4. Post Re: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a similar problem with my 1997 1.9 tdi (chipped) which had been very brisk then one day no power, which when driving around town & to / from work was no great problem, just adapted driving style to early 80's style non-turbo diesel (tractor style!).

BUT on a 100 mile motorway journey it really irritated me and was dangerous when ascending hills (drop in speed from 70 to sub 60 & lots of beeps from other road users).

My mechanic had allsorts of tales of expensive woe....

Before the return journey when the engine was cold I gave it a quick check over, all connections and then the oil.... which was more than three quarters full so I topped it up. 10 minutes into the return journey the power returned and I haven't had the problem since.

This may not be the answer for everyone and may also be symptomatic of another problem elsewhere, but for me on this day it worked.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MAP sensor, on the inlet from the intercooler to the inlet manifold. RHS of the engine as you look at it. That is where I would continue after running the diagnostics.
    The valves and switches do have different fault codes.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OMG! thanks for posting this thread... Just had turbo loss on our 2002 sharan tdi whilst driving out of Bath up a very big hill. Very dangerous! Managed to snail it home and started reading up about blown turbo's, stuck westgates, faulty sensors? and did what you said, checked oil which was only 3/4 full so filled it up, took it around the block and it goes like a rocket again!!! BIG thanks to you..Cheers me dear. (noadthetoad)

0 0 0

7. Re: 2002 Sharan 1.9 TDi Intermittent power loss. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just plugged my car in to try and sort out my central locking problem (had no luck) and got 17965 as a fault code. I know this is something to do with the turbo but its boosting up fine and i have only had it go into protection mode once or twice. Any ideas as to my problem? thanks

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123