1. Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I recently had problems with the steering on my A3 (2004)when parking, it would frequently become extremely heavy. I took the car to my local Audi dealership who changed the steering rack (under used car warranty thankfully).

However, since this was done the feeling of the steering has completely changed. Whereas before it felt rock solid on the road and would maintain a straight line, it now feels to continually need correcting, which despite the smallest of movements goes to far - I end up feeling like I'm driving from one side of my lane on the motorway to the other continually even though I'm only turning the wheel by a small fraction. This has all changed since the replacement steering rack.

So far I've taken the car to the garage twice, and they have not been able to identify the fault. They've suggested wheel alignment (which has since been checked) and a 'flat spot' on one rim.

I really feel like I have to keep correcting the posistion of the car whle driving (especially motorways) whereas before it used to stick to a straight-line.

I'm not sure what else I can do - my previous car (different badge) had a similar feel and that's why I changed it. Thankfully I bought an Audi which felt a million times better but now has a similar feel.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Many Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, in general my experience with this behaviour is when the tyre tread wear gets low on the fronts. For example it was very noticable until I decided to have the tyres rotated during a service interval (fronts to backs where the backs have got plenty more tread which will end up on the fronts..!?? - make sense?). Its a longshot but possibly related.

Cheers kkp

0 0 0

3. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The new racks have different software and assistance strategies (the ECU is in the rack) and this is what you are feeling, they have altered the feel of the steering to suit what they think are the majority of tastes which is feather light over assisted steering.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd still check the tyres; your problematic old rack might have worn them in a fashion creating issue for you now - a relative cheap/simple test would be front->rear swap.

I can understand an ECU update changing the feel, but requiring constant adjustment? that sounds crazy!

0 0 0

5. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

They did mention the different software in the garage, but they still keep booking my car in for test drives which don't seem to get anywhere! Is it possible to get the 'old' software put onto this steering rack? I really don't like the feel one bit.

As for the suggestion of swapping front<>back tyres around, seems like an easy and low cost thing to try, so I'll definitely give this a try.

Thanks, Alex.

0 0 0

6. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Assumption is you have good even tread on the rears currently which are of the same pattern... You'll certainly notice a pulling affect if they are different brands\patterns.

Cheers..

0 0 0

7. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I doubt it is possible to get the old software installed and of course I am making an assumption that this is the issue and that it isn’t a physical problem rather than software.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all ive just had the steering rack replaced on my 2007 a4 2.0 tdi quattro now the traction control light is always on sometimes even coming on when driving the steering wheel is 180 degrees different basically upside down and none of my stereo buttons work on the wheel any ideas would be very grateful

0 0 0

9. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Take it back to the place that did the 'job'

0 0 0

10. Re: Replacement Steering Rack has changed steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    New rack is coded incorrectly it's on a lighter setting as Crasher says. It's adjustable in the coding. They have this option for disabled people. In basic terms it applies a higher voltage to the rack motor which in turn makes the steering lighter. I see this a lot in the after market mainly with Polo and Fabia pumps coded wrong. If you can get into the steering coding it's usually the last 2 digits if you go up or down you can change the characteristics bit by bit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast