Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Howdy,
    I had been hoping to change my passat for an A4 Avant Sline when it came time to change company cars in Setpember but the budget I have been allocated means that I'll barely be able to get an A4 SE Saloon.

SO I thought **** it! I've enjoyed my passat over the last two years and there is noting else on the list (Vauxhall Insignia, Citroen C5, Renault Laguna, Honda Accord, Alfa 159 and so on ) that I'd even consider. Well I was tempted by the Accord but the boot is tiny and the co car tax is higher. I was also tempted by the Insignia until everyone I spoke to said that it drives like poo.
    So I started looking at a Passat R line or possibly Hiline.
    They both come in wayyy under my budget so I could load them up. Then I checked the CC and was astonished to find that it also comes in way under my budget.

So I was thinking about the 140ps 2,0 TDi GT DSG with xenon, phone prep, media interface and, if I can stretch it, sunroof.

Is there anything out of that spec that I should reconsider or add?
    Also, what is the 140 like mated with the DSG? I love 3rd and 4th in my manual 140 passat.

Unfortunatly I can't arrange a test drive as I'm in offshore Brazil at the moment and the fleet manager wants to arrange something at least 6 weeks before I'm due to change on the 10th September so I really need some input from current owners (of both CC and 140 DSG passats) to give me some feedback. All being good, I can send off the email and get it done.

Looking forward to your replies.

0 0 0

2. Re: 140PS mated with DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Passat 140 TDI mated to a DSG, what can i say its the donkey's conkers.

Left in 'D' its smooth and you can just forget about it, in manual it behaves like a true manual and the pull in third and fourth is great.

Good choice as far as i am concerned, i will be having another when mines due back

0 0 0

3. Re: 140PS mated with DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds good. No need to consider the 170 then.
    Just need to win the wife round.
    "It's a totally different car, honest dear!"

0 0 0

4. Re: 140PS mated with DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lose the sunroof, multifunction steering wheel with paddles is a must.
    08Sport Est, 170DSG, Deep Black, BiXenon, ipod dock, SatNav&cam, f/r park sensors, winter pack, comfort pack, heated seats, f/f premium btooth, cruise control, rearblinds, mfsw&paddles

0 0 0

5. Re: 140PS mated with DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had my CC GT DSG 140TDi for a week and I'm chuffed to bits with it B) Georgeous looking car
    Don't forget that cruise and parking sensors aren't standard (strangely the reversing camera is cheaper). Not sure about the media pack, but SD slot and aux-in are standard.
    I think DSG is great, if a little 'soft' in D and a little harsh in S (unless pressing on), but I'm being really picky.
    I wouldn't say it's under powered, but overtaking needs careful planning ...remap required methinks.
    You've had a lucky escape from the s-line IMO - horrendous ride quality.

0 0 0

6. Re: 140PS mated with DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm in the same position as you, not really much around in my budget that I want so thinking of a CC 170 to replace our 140 estate. I'd spec cruise control, strange ommision on a 24k car.

IMHO DSG is very smooth on open roads but very jerky at low speed. Try reversing into a parking space up a hill. If I go for a CC to replace the 140 TDI estate think I'd get a 170.

The problem I find with the 140 and DSG is with overtaking. Imagine you are sitting at 50 mph and see a gap in the traffic, the DSG will be in 5th or 6th and engine around 1500rpm. You put the foot down, DSG drops to 3rd, the revs scream up to 3500-4000 where the 140 is running out of puff. If you try the same in manual mode the DSG still kicks down just the same so there's no way to hold the car in 4th to get the torque under ful throttle.

1 0 0

7. Re: 140PS mated with DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taylora View Post
    I'm in the same position as you, not really much around in my budget that I want so thinking of a CC 170 to replace our 140 estate. I'd spec cruise control, strange ommision on a 24k car.

IMHO DSG is very smooth on open roads but very jerky at low speed. Try reversing into a parking space up a hill. If I go for a CC to replace the 140 TDI estate think I'd get a 170.

The problem I find with the 140 and DSG is with overtaking. Imagine you are sitting at 50 mph and see a gap in the traffic, the DSG will be in 5th or 6th and engine around 1500rpm. You put the foot down, DSG drops to 3rd, the revs scream up to 3500-4000 where the 140 is running out of puff. If you try the same in manual mode the DSG still kicks down just the same so there's no way to hold the car in 4th to get the torque under ful throttle.
    Hmmm, thanks. I must say that 3rd and 4th are the most fun in my current 140. I think I need to test drive before deciding.
    Cheers.

0 0 0

8. Re: 140PS mated with DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I recently chose a 2.0T A4 Avant SE M8 over a CC GT 170 DSG, I got it wrong.
    I would have preferred the 170 DSG, having previously had a 3.2SEL 4Motion Passat Estate.
    Vs the A4, it is smoother, as quiet, has a bigger boot, tank and range (450miles).
    The 170 is a great engine and the steering is far better than the SE A4. It also has real presence missing in the A4.
    IMHO cruise, auto hold and parking sensors are essential, and, if budget allows, I would take the pimp beige nappa interior, this wore very well over 65K in my Passat, it will lighten the cave like interior in black.
    [SIGPIC]Misano Red/ Lunar Silver A6 Sline Stronic on order - 520D Tourer now - A3 S-Line 2.0 TDi DSG - T5 130 4Motion Camper

0 0 0