Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VAG com Hull or surrounding area?

1. VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Just had a diagnosis of a faulty turbo from a main dealer, but it looks like they did not use VAG com - would feel better with a 'proper' code reading. Anyone in my area willing to swop their time/expertise for a few beers?

Thanks

Laurie

PS: No longe need a VAG com reading - the garage did use a kosher system and according to crasher the diagnosis seems correct - thanks anyway
    Last edited by Laurie2212; 30-07-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added footnote

0 0 0

2. Re: VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How many miles has the car done?

Fully serviced?

Are the turbo bearings whistling?

Is the engine using excessive oil and evidence of white smoke?

Is the turbo failing to boost or falling into limp mode?

What have they said is wrong with it ??!

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=71971

Sorry I'm nowhere near Hull

Regards, Ian
    Royal Air Force Aeromechanical Engineer

New Beetle 2.0 2001 72k in Pistachio

0 0 0

3. Re: VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Ian

Thanks for responding. It turns out (thanks to input from other forum members particulary crasher) that the diagnostic is right - they used the VW group system software rather than VAG com. My car had been serviced with fully synthetic oil every 8000 miles, has 125K on the clock and in the last 4 years (as far as the engine is concernec) has had a new air flow meter and temperature sender. There is no whistle from the turbo, no smoke of any description, but the turbo is overboosting and then the ECU? switches into limp mode - hence the loss of power. I am now comtemplating a trade in as the outlay and hassle for a 8 year old car is daunting. Even second hand, a turbo is going o be expensive!

Regards

Laurie

0 0 0

4. Re: VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats a fair mileage !! I have a BMW 320d (although I prefer the Bug ) and from forums the turbo on that may well fail at about 100k.

Don't despair because an option you have, as the turbo hasn't blown up just yet, is to remove the turbo and send to Turbo Technics.

It could be around £250 for a rebuild if you're lucky. I've also heard they are professional to deal with too

Regards, Ian

0 0 0

5. Re: VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orienteer View Post
    Thats a fair mileage !! I have a BMW 320d (although I prefer the Bug ) and from forums the turbo on that may well fail at about 100k.

Don't despair because an option you have, as the turbo hasn't blown up just yet, is to remove the turbo and send to Turbo Technics.

It could be around £250 for a rebuild if you're lucky. I've also heard they are professional to deal with too

Regards, Ian
    Hi Ian

Thanks for the turbo technics tip - spoke to a very nice and helpful chap about the overboosting and they told me that they had 18 units in for cleaning with similar faults - soot prevents the vanes from rotating from the maximum boost position and thus there is no variation in the boost pressure and subsequent overboosting. As Crasher suggested, my turbo needs cleaning or replacing and until it comes off, I cannot determine if there is any damage necessitating a new turbo. To clean they charge £250 with a replacement swop unit at £465 approx. Have to do some thinking - with 125K on the clock - what's next? Might also need a rad (advised of this last year at service). Thanks again

Laurie
    Last edited by Laurie2212; 31-07-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo

0 0 0

6. Re: VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not familiar enough to know what access you have but the turbo, in essence, is a simple beast. If you need to clean it then there is an inlet and outlet to gain access to. If this can be done then why not have a go yourself ??

If you consider removing it bear in mind it's fed oil from the engine so don't let this drain out

There will also be a control connection (electrical/pneumatic[vacuum]).

To be honest I haven't seen forum conversation regarding cleaning the exhaust gas sooting off the vanes but it certainly makes sense. Not sure I'd be happy paying £250 for a clean though.

Regards, Ian

0 0 0

7. Re: VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try Autotechncia in Hull. Very competitive prices (£25 for a check over with VagCom)
    Their address is as follows:

AutoTechnica
    94 Calvert Lane
    Hull
    HU4 6BJ

Tel:
    01482 353369

http://www.autotechnica.co.uk/index.php

Ask for Andy Humble. He is a fully trained VW/Audi master Technician.

0 0 0

8. Re: VAG com Hull or surrounding area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDPDesign View Post
    Try Autotechncia in Hull. Very competitive prices (£25 for a check over with VagCom)
    Their address is as follows:

AutoTechnica
    94 Calvert Lane
    Hull
    HU4 6BJ

Tel:
    01482 353369

http://www.autotechnica.co.uk/index.php

Ask for Andy Humble. He is a fully trained VW/Audi master Technician.
    Thanks for the contact - I have passed the diagnostic stage now (having confirmed the diagnosis with Crasher) - turbo at Midland turbos for re-build. I will certainly use autotechnica in future - good price! Most of the time it's about having the contacts when in need!

Regards

Laurie

0 0 0