Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I had a Golf GTi Mk3 8V(254000 miles original engine!) then I got an Audi Cabriolet 2.0 1995. I noticed today as I was going round a corner in the heavy rain that it wandered or should I say slipped round the corner. The GTi was always good in the wet.

My question is whether this is a common thing with the cabriolets? It could be the alloys although they're Audi-ish alloys of the same overall size, Just lower profile tyres.

I'm carefully finding the threshold for the corners in the wet. It does roll a bit in the dry.

I know it's no GTi but it was a bit alarming!

Thanks
    D

0 0 0

2. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is the tread pattern like om the tyres? some are good dispercing water and some are useless. also take into account the weight of the car aswell.
    Yerrrrrrrrs Blackadder!

0 0 0

3. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi clive30v,

Treads seems good, they're Diamond Back something or other. I expect the weight has something to do with it. Just had the tracking done too.
    Thanks

Dave

0 0 0

4. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Most Audis can be quite prone to understeer as the engine is mounted quite far forward (certainly the 80/90/Coupe/Cab has the engine quite far forward) which basically means there is inertia ahead of the front wheels and means the car wants to carry on in a straight line when you steer! Don't know about the MK3 Golf, but I used to have MK2 & the engine was definitely not mounted as far forward.You've really got to push them though, my coupe is a V6 so there's quite a bit of weight up front but it's never done what you describe, even at speed. Then again, it's running on quite chunky low profile tyres on 17" alloys which grip pretty damn well. It's also on Koni suspension & handles very tightly, but theoretically the body roll you describe allows some give before it starts to slide, whereas firmer suspension like mine doesn't have that so should be more prone to breaking away in the wet. But mine's never done that to me. (Sorry bout the basic physics lesson! )
    Now I've gone blithering on without asking, did it actually understeer or oversteer?

"If a donkey bray at you, don't bray at him."

0 0 0

5. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Dudey Head,

Thanks for replying.

I guess it was understeer, I get them muddled up but I think it's understeer coz it kept going straight. I haven't made any modifications since I've had it except the alloys.
    The garage told me that the front shocks would probably need replacing for the next MOT, so maybe I'll get some good ones. I might also be going too fast of course, the GTi, I could always throw into any corner without too much worry!

Dave

0 0 0

6. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am glad im not the only owner experiencing these problems..i recently got a coupe (2.2L 20V QUATTRO) and even tho its 4 wheel drive it feels like it wouldnt like it if i booted it round a corner - whereas I had a mk3 gti last year and could happily throw it into corners no problems..

oh it has also been lowered on low profiles

0 0 0

7. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

with the 1.8 quattro I had many moons ago, it seemed more stable in the wet when you booted it into and through corners. The front still breaks away first due to engine positioned so far forward.
    I know the 20v is more powerful, maybe try it in the dead zone below 4000rpm first? If it still feels 'wrong' the car may need a 4 wheel alignment? Don't forget the usual suspects - top mounts/wishbone bushes/ balljoints can all have a big effect on the coupe handling...
    2001 Passat estate Sport tdi 130hp
    2001 Passat Sport tdi 130hp
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

8. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have experienced this, glad its not just my car!

I currently have a 2.0E 8v and it too feels poor in the wet. However, I used to have a 2.6E many moons ago which also had the issue. On the 2.6E I fitted decent tyres (michelin) and also dropped it 60mm on standard shocks (but replaced the shocks when I did it) - and it had a very positive improvement. Oh, was on standard alloys still too. I wouldnt lower one of these coupes that low again though, it killed the catalytic converters when going over speed bumps.

0 0 0

9. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same here, I've got the 2.0 16v coupe 1993 still as standard, it does the same in the wet when i push it.

0 0 0

10. Re: Slippery When Wet... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnovision View Post
    I have experienced this, glad its not just my car!

I currently have a 2.0E 8v and it too feels poor in the wet. However, I used to have a 2.6E many moons ago which also had the issue. On the 2.6E I fitted decent tyres (michelin) and also dropped it 60mm on standard shocks (but replaced the shocks when I did it) - and it had a very positive improvement. Oh, was on standard alloys still too. I wouldnt lower one of these coupes that low again though, it killed the catalytic converters when going over speed bumps.
    After you lowered it did you have any issues with tyre wear on the inside or the car 'tramlining' or wandering - the car wanting to follow any dips or changes in level in the road like passing parked traffic so that the RHS wheels cross over the camber in the road & the car pulling to the right?
    Mine does (it's a 2.6E) & I've been told it's because it's lowered & will have negative camber which can cause this. I'm more inclined to think it needs new subframe bushes & probably top-mounts and there's a bit of play, after all it's 163,000 miles now!
    It had new wishbones a while ago but that didn't seem to make any difference!
    Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

"If a donkey bray at you, don't bray at him."

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast