1. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep it defo sounds like an airbag. My FNS went first then the FOS about 6 months later. Dont get all worried about cost, an audi OEM bag will cos you about £500 however an Arnott bag will cost about £190 from here + shipping and import tax.
    Its not a hard job to replace yourself if the top pinch bolt isnt rusted in like mine were. All you need is a few spanners and the instructions from Arnott. However if the top pinch bolt is rusted in then you may need a friend with an acetylene torch to heat it.
    Im sure Andy would agree with me that the Arnott bags are just as good (if not better) than the Audi OEM ones.
    Like Andy said try to keep below 50mph on level 3 or you run the risk of having to replace your compressor too £££s. The bags wont leak as bad on level 3.

Let us know if you need any more advice. If you need diagrams then Andy’s your man (hes helped me out on a cpl of occasions, im sure he wont mind if u PM him).

Cheers
    Lee
    2001 Allroad 2.7 Bi Turbo Quattro

1998 A6 2.4 SE Avant

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry meant to say its probably just the OSF that leaking. When it drops the Level Control ECU will try and level the rest of the car. Hence its on the floor.

Cheers
    Lee
    Last edited by snugglebum; 17-08-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Im retarded
    2001 Allroad 2.7 Bi Turbo Quattro

1998 A6 2.4 SE Avant

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroaderuk View Post
    Yep, just tried it on level 1 for the night and it didn't take long once i managed to get it up (ooh er missus) to level 1 from being flat to the ground to up it istantly dropped as I got out of the car and it's the OSF which dropped first with soming HISSING sound then the NSF followed suit.
    The rear don't dropas far at all either.

Is this new air bags required or something more sinister??

Thanks
    Jon
    Ok This is what we thought, to confirm 100% that it is the air bag leaking, spray soapy water on both front air bags, this can be done at level 4 with some sort of sprayer, then lower to 2 if it is leaking bubbles will form around the lower folded section of the rubber (this is where the leak is likely to be).
    Do both fronts just in case but hopefully it is just the OSF.

once you have this confirmed then you need a new one!!,

If you are a DIY Man it is not too big a job. We have been using New Arnott replacements around £300, very good no problems, you can now source then on E-bay also.

top pinch bolt is the only issue but read up on this:

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=60746

Check for bubbles on the bag first before buying anything but pretty confident it will be the airbag, hopefully not both fronts!!

regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snugglebum View Post
    Yep it defo sounds like an airbag. My FNS went first then the FOS about 6 months later. Dont get all worried about cost, an audi OEM bag will cos you about £500 however an Arnott bag will cost about £190 from here + shipping and import tax.
    Its not a hard job to replace yourself if the top pinch bolt isnt rusted in like mine were. All you need is a few spanners and the instructions from Arnott. However if the top pinch bolt is rusted in then you may need a friend with an acetylene torch to heat it.
    Lee
    Holy 5h1t!! Once again Lee you get in there, ok i made it easy for you and it would help if I had realised there was a page 5 to the thread and instead I read all page 4 and then pour a story out to find once posted Lee has already typed exactly what i meant!!

sorry to but in again on what seems to be a problem & Solution in control!!

I will read the next thread fully before replying

Lee 2 Andy 0

Andy
    Last edited by bagpipingandy; 18-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    RIGHT THEN......theres plenty for me to bo going at for now thx to you guys !!
    Will get it back to the garage (not the devil) and get it up on the ramps again to spray some fairy onto it and see which one's doing the damage! I will print off all the replies on here to show em also so I can say here you go this is what the REAL experts think

Just had a look on the drive and seen the old girl probably just sitting below level -2 if there's such a level.....It looks like that muppet from MTV's been round and pimped it without the UV lights, sub woofer and playstation in the boot

Will let you know how I get on ! and if i come back starting a thread "HOW DO YOU FIX AN ALLROAD WITH NO SUSPENSION" then you know I've had a lionel !

Cheers again guys

Jon

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroaderuk View Post
    RIGHT THEN......theres plenty for me to bo going at for now thx to you guys !!
    Will get it back to the garage (not the devil) and get it up on the ramps again to spray some fairy onto it and see which one's doing the damage! I will print off all the replies on here to show em also so I can say here you go this is what the REAL experts think

Just had a look on the drive and seen the old girl probably just sitting below level -2 if there's such a level.....It looks like that muppet from MTV's been round and pimped it without the UV lights, sub woofer and playstation in the boot

Will let you know how I get on ! and if i come back starting a thread "HOW DO YOU FIX AN ALLROAD WITH NO SUSPENSION" then you know I've had a lionel !

Cheers again guys

Jon
    You don't actually need the ramps to spray with soapy water, keeping the cars weight on the wheels just on the driveway, raise to level 4, spray the rubber air bags as best you can, then you can (if nothing happens) lower to 2 or 1 to see any bubbles forming, re-raise to 4 may assist to look for bubbles.

The -2 level look, some people actually pay good money for that!!
    Unfortunetely us alroader have to pay money to get rid of it!!!

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipingandy View Post
    You don't actually need the ramps to spray with soapy water, keeping the cars weight on the wheels just on the driveway, raise to level 4, spray the rubber air bags as best you can, then you can (if nothing happens) lower to 2 or 1 to see any bubbles forming, re-raise to 4 may assist to look for bubbles.

The -2 level look, some people actually pay good money for that!!
    Unfortunetely us alroader have to pay money to get rid of it!!!

Andy
    Hi Andy / Lee, et all.........

As you can probably guess I'm not a petrolheeed but someone who enjoys Audi's for some reason...on 4th one now for my sins, this being my 1st Allroad ! I'm looking at the wheel arch looking for some sort of AIRBAGS...Sorry but airbags to me look like a big puff of smoke and a loud bang when you've just hit the neighbours Porsche (cheap old porsche cayman before you start thinking...Ooooooh flash rich B'stard living nextdoor to some rich porsche driving **** ....I wish i'd never started this expose on airbags now ...whats he doing wanting help from us guys for if his neighbour drives a porsche???) at 15 mph !
    Not the case and not the reason for the ramble but i did hit his porsche and i did see the air bag....so back on track...

I CANT SEE ANY AIRBAGS in the wheel arches? what do they look like?? all i can see is the suspension cylinders, do these contain the air bags?

Sorry for being thick,

Jon

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad Suspension Compressor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Funny! They're clearly no the airbags you're thinking of!!

The airbags are directly above the wheels when viewing from the wheelarch. I think they are the cylinders you're talking about. They're quite rigid and might feel at first to be solid, but they are in fact airbags, they take the place of the conventional spring setup, ie where you would normally see the spring. Take a look at the diagrams in this document;

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_243.pdf

Page 16 shows a picture of a strut, with the two upper arms and lower arm mount.

0 0 0

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345