1. Smile B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For everyone with a B5 A4 (also applies to A3 & A6) there are two main variants of the central locking pump.

The older single vacuum/pressure outlet 4AO pumps, and the later twin outlet 8LO pumps.

The suffix letter on the end of the part number indicates pump revision and car model.

Most 8LO pumps are interchangeable.

On 8LO pumps, all suffixes above 'A' have Radio Frequency 'remote central locking' incorporated (Late 97+).

If you change to a pump with a different suffix (8LO862257'A' to 8LO862257'E' etc), or from a non-RF pump to an RF pump, you will generally have to use VAG-COM to recode the number in module 35 'central locking' (46 central convenience for later cars) to enable the central locking/alarm to function correctly. The correct code to enter depends on your car model, radio, and desired locking features.

Chose the basecode that describes your car, then add or subract the numbers for the 'Optional locking features' that you require, then enter the final number into your central locking module with VAG-COM.

A4 B5 Central locking Codes can be found on the Rosstech website (scroll down to Module 35)
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html#35

A4 B6
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB6.html#46

A3 pre-97
    http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/CODING97.pdf

A3 1998-2000
    http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/CODING98.pdf

A3 2000+
    http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/CODING00.pdf

Pre 97 A4's normally have a separate 'central locking' control unit under the rear seat bench, compatible with the earlier type IR remote locking fob's (will have small domed IR pickups on the 'B' column's).

If your pump is running for longer than 6 seconds, you have a vacuum/pressure leak in one of the tubes or tube junctions, normally the front doors, fuel flap or junctions behind the front seats. You can sometimes locate the leak by listening for a hissing noise inside the car.

If a leak is not fixed promptly, and the pump continues to work overtime, the graphite impeller will eventually shatter and a replacement pump will be required.

Another common problem with the pump is its location. The pump and its foam protective cover tend to become waterlogged after heavy rain, which can cause unexpected problems like windows opening or closing for no reason, and boot or doors not working with the remote.

All Audi A4's from late 97 onward were factory fitted for 'Remote Central Locking'. If 'remote central locking' was an optional extra and was not purchased with the car, Audi simply gave people non-remote keys.

A4's from 97 to early 98 generally require a two button flip key, as boot locking is pneumatically controled, and unlocks with the rest of the car doors.

Later A4's had a three button flip key, with an electronically controled boot lock.

If you intend to buy a flip key on ebay for your B5 A4, generally stick to the 2 or 3 button '4DO837231' part number keys that will be compatable with your car.(A3 keys are 8LO, 8PO etc)

Some 3 button remotes will work on various different models, but there is no definitive list.

The remotes contain two separate components:

1. The 'Remote Central Locking' part, which has to be sync'ed to the car to enable the RF remote locking. You can sync the remote either using the two key method, which differs for pre and post 97 cars, or use VAG-COM to enter the key manually.

2. The 'Immobiliser' part, which takes the form of a small glass capsule containing a 'micro-circuit', which is present in all of the car keys, even the tiny plastic emergency type key.

The earlier immobiliser type had a 'static code' and the later type had a 'rolling code'.

If you do not have a remote key, and your B5 A4 is late 97 onwards, you can purchase the correct 2 or 3 button flip key (ebay etc) and swap the transponder capsule from one of your old type 'main' keys. This will allow the immobiliser to be disabled when you start the car. If you do not have a spare immobiliser capsule to transfer, you will have to take your keys to Audi for a transponder swap/recode.

This is all information that i found usefull when i retrofitted original 'Keyless Entry' to my 97 A4 TDI SE, and is probably oversimplified in parts.

6 1 0

2. Anyone know of a repair kit for Central locking pumps. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have seen a few of these C/L pumps with the graphite impeller broken. Any one know if repair kits are available?
    Most pumps I have seen have been made by VDO.

If some enterprising person has the know-how to mass produce these impellers and blades they could make a fortune.

New pumps retail for the best part of £300.

Just changing the impeller is a very straight forward job and would save having the added hassle of recoding unit to your set of options and teaching it your remote keys.

My car a Dec 96 1.8 T Avant has a C/L unit part no. 8L0862257G. This came without a remote key and there is not an IR receiver in either B post.

Looking at the C/L unit coding with Vag Com I found the code 13130, which according to an Audi w/s manual is the coding for a c/l unit fitted after 1998 with central locking, anti-theft alarm system and radio remote control.

I also checked a factory wiring diagram that suggested that plug A pins 7 and 1on the C/L unit are connected to the remote locking aerial which I think is part of the loom. This is fed by a shielded (co-axial) cable, the shield is connected to pin A7 with the aerial feed on pin A1.

I have looked at my C/L unit and sure enough I have a shielded cable connected as described that disappears into the loom.
    As I am not the first owner I do not know if my pump has been changed in the past.

I am glad I have read INI'S post as it confirms what I had guessed that most Audi C/L pumps had remote locking available after a certain date.

I will now source a replacement pump (or repair kit if one is available) and a two button remote.

If I get it all working I' ll post a more detailed write up, including what kit you need to code your own keys.

0 0 0

3. RF reciever 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Been looking at the wiring diagram for my A4 via haynes and it suggest that the RF reivers are on the B pillars with the sensors, they are named LH Receiver and RH receiver, is mine going to be the same, as if the range is not very good i am wondering were to point the key when re programming, if it needs to be near the loom or near B pillars.

Thanks

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only sensors on the 'B' pillars are the ultrasonic's for the alarm, and sometimes IR pickups for the very early type remote system.

The RF receiver on 97on cars is inside the vacuum pump.

The ariel on the early RF type loom did not have very good reception, so Audi released a bulletin on how to increase the RF range. Basically you exactly doubled the ariel length if i remember correctly.

To sync a new Flip key to the car you need 2 keys, and it is a good idea to roll down the drivers window. (lifted from AudiWorld)

1.Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.

3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked

4. With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.

5. Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.

6. Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.

If you want to program a second key, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.

(The earlier type non flip key remotes have a slightly different programming method, in which you hold down both buttons on the remote for 5 seconds.)
    Last edited by RickT; 15-03-2008 at 04:31 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thread made sticky due to the great info.

Rick

0 0 0

6. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can some one help, i have an audi a4 1.9tdi. it does not ahve remote central locking. i purchased a remote central locking kit from ebay (non Audi) i am trying to find the positive switch wire. for the locking system. anyone know the colour? cheers carl

2 0 0

7. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So let me get this right, if my code (only have service key and a crushed original) is 4D0 010 023 138 E (guessing middle part only 100% sure on 4D0 010 and the 138 E part) any 4D0 fob will work ?

1 0 0

8. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont bother wasting your money on changing the whole unit, get down the scappy find a similar car as long as it has the same outlets and there is no sign of carbon dust inside unsolder the power cables from the motor and the wires going to the pcb swap bored on the new one (remembering where they go) do the same on the broken one solder the old bored to the new pump put it back together using the base plate from you over car(keep part numbers) refit it and away you go. no need to recode keys

cost me £20 and the petrol to the scrappy to sort mine out

0 0 0

9. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, the well where the pump lives in my car is waterlogged, so I guess this might be causing me problems with the remote/central locking not working. Do you know where the water gets in? Could there be a blocked drain hole?

I don't have a sunroof so that eliminates one possible area!

0 0 0

10. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi i have a '99 a4 2.5 tdi with normal non remote blade keys, the pump has an 'H' suffix with twin outlets.

I have bought a 4DO fob and tried to program it to the car using the key in ignition/door method and it isn't working.

How can i be sure that the pump has a radio receiver as previously mentioned?

This is a very highly spec'd car and i can't believe it hasn't got remote central locking!!!

Help, please

1 0 0

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast