Notices

User Tag List

Thread: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    dan2802 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RS4 Dreamer View Post
    Hi,
    I have just had the pleasure of discovering the graphite impeller has shattered in my central locking pump. I can only find a part number of 8LO 862 257. Can someone tell me where I find the letter to finish the part number from? Also does anyone know where I can buy a new graphite impeller from? I don't see the point in replacing the whole pump when it is just the impeller that's broke.
    Thanks
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140312292082

0 0 0

2. Smile Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Audi say that if the pump keeps running for more than 6 secs then there is a leak on the system. If there is a fairly serious leak then yes this is true but there are other causes. With both pipes off the pump, it is easy to put your fingers over the outlets so the pump should run only very briefly as the pressure or vacuum will build very quickly. If the pump keeps running even once you have blocked the outlets then it is a faulty unit but all is not lost. The pump stops running when the pressure/vacuum switch (built into the pipe outlet bit) activates. This is simply a little diaphragm unit (white plastic on my one) that makes a contact in either direction - lock or unlock. The pump "blows" for lock and "sucks" for unlock and I had the undocumented puzzle that it was fine on lock but ran for 30secs on unlock. Having pulled it all apart I then noticed a little (20mm by 10mm approx) access panel (DOH!) in the unit under the part number sticker next to the pipe outlets that can be removed without dismantling the unit. Carefully prizing this out with a little screwdriver on the tabs I found that the diaphragm switch contacts are then visible without any dismantling at all. To test: With the pipes on, open and lock the central locking and see if the contacts are made in both directions. If the contacts move far enough both ways then your pressures are OK ie no leaks and your pump is working. If they don’t move enough then either you have poor pressure (leak or failed pump- the actual pump is very easy to change if you can get one from the scrappers) or the diaphragm switch is faulty. In my case there was plenty of movement and the contacts were closing but the contacts for “open” ie under vacuum were actually a bit tarnished and hence not conducting (too many years in a damp boot well? Now dry as carefully siliconed the rear lamps!). A quick kiss with a little file and bingo, 3 sec pump run time. Incidentally, these contacts are what govern the pump run time. If you remove the little access panel as described above you will see that the contacts have little tags to get pliers or a screwdriver on. This allows you to bend the static contacts closer (quicker shut off) or further (longer run time) apart from the moving contact. Be careful with this though as even a small tweak of the contact has a big effect!
    Last edited by 26matt; 27-07-2009 at 11:36 AM.

2 0 0

3. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fixed my '97 A4 by reading this thread and following this tech article (from a previous post in this thread) http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec149.shtml

I used the pump from an Audi 80 central locking unit, which cost me £15.

Removing the pump I had to swap the rubber mounting nipples onto the new pump. I also had to cut the vacuum pipe and insert a piece of vacuum pipe using the nozzle section from the original pump.

No worries abour recoding keys etc. All in all a fairly straightforward job that I wouldn't have had a clue how to do without this forum, nice one, cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all

I have a problem with my central locking, When i try to unlock my 2001 s4 avant 2.7 twin turbo using the remote buttons nothing happens, if i use the key in the door, driver door opens and other doors unlock when the keys are put in the ignition, as per normal procedure.

Have checked the CL pump in the boot, seems to be working ok.

Any ideas and solutions would be most apreciated

many thanks

Martyn

0 0 0

5. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My central locking pump has the following code on it: 4AO 862 257 J

Does this pump have remote central locking? I've looked on a few sites and a cant find out for definate if it is or not.
    Ta

0 0 0

6. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the '4AO862257J' pump works with the older IR type central locking system.

You will have the little bubbles on your 'B' pillars if it is fitted.

If not, an aftermarket kit is your best option.

0 0 0

7. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still not clear whether 8L0 862 257 E (originally from a Japanese market car) is codeable for remote lock, even though it definitely did not leave the factory with that option?

One or two of the post above were a bit ambiguous.

Could somebody clarify please?

0 0 0

8. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    8L0 or 8D0 'E' ?
    99 a4 b5 1.8tqs saloon
    99 a4 b5 2.5tdi avant
    90 eunos roadster

0 0 0

9. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's an 8L0

The post that is confusing me is:

8L0862257A and 8L0862257H are non remote pumps all other suffix found on uk spec cars are remote compatable
    i think remote c/l was an option on A4's untill facelift model, they have 8d0862257'e' p/n

0 0 0

10. Re: B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    you have a non uk spec car with a non uk fitted pump
    heres the list for the uk

8L0 862 257 early model remote c/l pump, has limited functions e.g wont operate door pin led's or flash indicators on unlock
    8L0 862 257 'A' early model non remote
    8L0 862 257 'H' 98-99 non remote pump
    8L0 862 257 'G' 98-99 remote c/l pump uses 2 button remote fob
    8L0 862 257 'P' 99+ facelift model pump, all facelift have remote c/l and so behaves oddly if you use the key to open door (drivers door only will unlock untill you turn ign. on) they also use a different siren (batt back up type) so arent compatable with earlier cars
    8D0 862 257 'E' as above

do you have access to vagcom? if so try altering softcode to accept remote c/l coding if it accepts it your remote capable

some also show 'mit funk' (with radio) in the description
    99 a4 b5 1.8tqs saloon
    99 a4 b5 2.5tdi avant
    90 eunos roadster

2 0 0

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast