Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

I am currently looking to buy a Golf and wondered if you could give me some advice, I’m the first to admit I’m not particularly knowledgeable about cars! I’ve got about £10 000 to spend and have found a 2007 MK5 1.6 FSI Match with 7500 miles for just over £11 000, which seems like quite a reasonable price. What confuses me is the engine variations between the different models, particularly with regard to the varying PS. On a very crude level my understanding is that more BHP or PS means more power (plus a multitude of other things of course). When you look at the specs of similar golf’s they’re as follows (excluding the GT / Blue motion etc engines):

MK5 1.4 80PS
    MK5 1.6 FSI 115PS
    MK5 1.9 TDI 105PS
    New Golf (MK6) 1.4 80PS
    New Golf (MK6) 1.6 102PS
    New Golf (MK6) 1.4 TSI 122PS
    New Golf (MK6) 1.6 TDI 90PS

My questions are:

1)Doesn’t this make the most powerful engines the MK5 1.6 FSI and the MK6 1.4 TSI by quite a long way? Would it be true to say if you could have any of these, the 1.4 TSI is the most powerful? This seems strange to me, although I guess the TSI could do that. Assuming I can’t afford a MK6 then am I right to say the MK5 1.6 FSI is pretty much the one to go for?
    2)If you were gonna spend about £10 000 on a Golf now what would you go for? Does 11k for a 2007 MK5 1.6 FSI Match with 7500 sound like a good deal or would you go for something else (I do like the addons you get with the match over the SE)?

Thanks very much for your help guys it’s very much appreciated.

Dave

0 0 0

2. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Dave,

Looking at the above i think your looking for a Petrol??

Have you thought about a diesel?

The below thread will give you an insight into the Diesel line up which is the model which tends to hold its value..

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=71712

Quote Originally Posted by RickT View Post
    Hi there,

Right, i will list model all the options for you comparing the TDI's arcoss the range.

NOTE -- I would suggest you keep away from the diesel SDI which is non turbo, very slow at around 73bhp with a 0-60 time of about ten minutes. -- its around 16.2 s.

S Range -

1.9 S TDI 3d
    1.9 S TDI 3d (AC)
    1.9 S TDI 5d
    1.9 S TDI 5d (AC)
    1.9 S TDI 5d (DPF) (AC)
    2.0 S SDI 3d
    2.0 S SDI 3d (AC)
    2.0 S SDI 5d
    2.0 S SDI 5d (AC)
    - Avoid the SDI -

BlueMotion S

Includes the same equipment as S1.9 BlueMotion S TDI 3d (DPF)

1.9 BlueMotion S TDI 5d (DPF)

Sport

Includes the same equipment as BlueMotion S,

plus:-

Alarm
    Alloy wheels
    Lumbar support
    Sports seats

1.9 Sport TDI 3d
    1.9 Sport TDI 5d
    1.9 Sport TDI 5d DSG
    2.0 Sport TDI 3d
    2.0 Sport TDI 5d
    2.0 Sport TDI DPF 5d
    2.0 Sport TDI 4MOTION 5d
    2.0 Sport TDI 5d DSG
    2.0 Sport TDI DPF 5d DSG

SE

Includes the same equipment as Sport,

plus

Cruise control
    Rear electric windows * (EXTRA)

loses

Sports seats

1.9 SE TDI 3d
    1.9 SE TDI 5d
    1.9 SE TDI 5d DSG

GT

Includes the same equipment as SE,

plus

Front fog lights
    Sports seats

loses

Cruise control

2.0 GT TDI 3d
    2.0 GT TDI 4MOTION 3d
    2.0 GT TDI 5d
    2.0 GT TDI DPF 5d
    2.0 GT TDI 4MOTION 5d
    2.0 GT TDI 5d DSG
    2.0 GT TDI DPF 5d DSG
    2.0 GT TDI (170ps) 3d
    2.0 GT TDI (170ps) 5d
    2.0 GT TDI (170ps) 5d DSG

GT Sport
    Includes the same equipment as GT

2.0 GT Sport TDI 3d
    2.0 GT Sport TDI 5d
    2.0 GT Sport TDI DPF 5d
    2.0 GT Sport TDI 5d DSG
    2.0 GT Sport TDI DPF 5d DSG
    2.0 GT Sport TDI DPF (170ps) 3d
    2.0 GT Sport TDI DPF (170ps) 5d
    2.0 GT Sport TDI DPF (170ps) 5d DSG

Match

Includes the same equipment as GT Sport,

plus

Audio remote
    Cruise control

loses

Front fog lights
    Sports seats

1.9 Match TDI 5d
    1.9 Match TDI 5d (DPF)
    1.9 Match TDI 5d DSG
    1.9 Match TDI DPF (7) 5d DSG

So not many to chose from really!!

Couple of things to add, the S range tend to come on wheel trims rather than alloys.

SE -- have black external door running strips and on front bumper until around 2007 -

GT SPORT has the new front end (black grill)

Rick

Cheers

Rick

0 0 0

3. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This seems a good buy..

2007 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2.0 GT TDI

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...4525&logcode=p

Features and full description
    Hatchback
    20,000 miles
    Manual
    2.0L, Diesel

20,000 miles, 5 door, manual, grey, 6 speed, electric windows, RCL, alarm, alloy wheels, radio CD, ABS, PAS, trip computer, Taxed until end of the year,12 months vw warranty remaining. £9,495 ONO.

If i was you, for that sort of money, i would look for one of the 2.0TDI's over a 1.6FSI.

Rick

0 0 0

4. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only reason i haven't really considered a diesel is because i've only ever really driven petrol cars and have been advised by some people (only vaguely though) that it'll probably suit me better, although i don't think they're necessarily right.

Can someone explain to me (in stupid terms) what the difference between a petrol and diesel (specifically with regard to the Golf) actually is?

Thanks and sorry for the stupid question!

Dave

0 0 0

5. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had 2.0 GTi, 1.6SE, 2.0 TDi DSG, 2.0 TDi Sport DSG.

I'd have the diesel every time, even tho the fuel costs more /litre.

It goes fast enough when you want it to, 40/50 mpg is easily achieved, and as far as DSG is concerned - always in the right gear, smooth and easy drive.

Foot down to join the motorway, got to be careful or you're doing 95 without noticing.
    Tootling round town is so easy. Comfortable relaxed drive - 20 miles or 200 miles don't feel like its involved any effort.

I really can't think of a car to replace my VW, its spot on.

0 0 0

6. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmvw View Post
    I've had 2.0 GTi, 1.6SE, 2.0 TDi DSG, 2.0 TDi Sport DSG.

I'd have the diesel every time, even tho the fuel costs more /litre.

Not so much these days - most supermarkets I've seen over the last couple of days are the same price for petrol & diesel.

Go for the diesel, IMO they just feel more solid and are less electrically complicated inside the engine (no spark timing etc.) plus you almost always get a turbo (you will for that money anyway)

The one further up that looks like a good buy, looks a bit too good to be true IMO and in my experience if it looks too good to be true it usually is.

0 0 0

7. Smile Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deshg View Post
    Can someone explain to me (in stupid terms) what the difference between a petrol and diesel (specifically with regard to the Golf) actually is?

Dave
    Ok the diesels are more torquey (not torquay he he) e.g. No loss of acceleration uphill or with a full load. They don't sound as good as petrols generally and are considered dirtier because of the soot they excrete, however, the soot performs a useful purpose in that it coats the inside of the exhaust and stops it from corroding from within.

They are a different drive. If you're used to petrols you'll either love how diesels drive or less likely hate it.

You have the option of Extended Service Intervals whereby your car tells you when you need to change the oil depending on the level of degradation and some other stuff. I usually achieve 18,000 between services. The services are more expensive but less frequent.

IMO diesels cruise better on the motorway. Their engines are running at lower revs which for me, is a more relaxing experience. e.g. in my car 2000 rpm 70mph 6th Gear and you can put your foot down without changing gear and it will still push you back in the seat (turbo diesels only!)

I'm not sure about this next one but all my diesel cars have been cheaper on road tax than my petrol ones so you may be in for slightly cheaper VEL.

You also need to use gloves at the fuel station to stop your hands stinking of diesel and there is a smell of sulphur from the exhaust sometimes.

All this and they are more economical too. For a golf 1.9TDI with 105PS (103BHP), you should get an average of around 50mpg for mixed driving. I used to own one and my record was 67mpg over a 200 mile journey. For the 2.0TDI 140PS (138BHP), I'd estimate around 47mpg mixed driving. In my 2.0TDI 170PS (167BHP), I average around 40mpg at the moment but I've only had it 2 weeks and not learned how to get the best out of it yet.

Petrols sound nicer and seem smoother but don't usually have the torque of diesels. The power tends to be much higher up the rev range so you sound like more of a boy racer if you accelerate hard.

It's cleaner than diesel and has been significantly less expensive until recently.

They are generally cheaper to buy than diesels but don't hold their price just as well except for top models like the GTI

There's probably loads more things but it's late and all I can think of. Hope this helps a little.

0 0 0

8. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, i will go through what you said properly tomorrow, but i just wanted to say thanks for the comprehensive reply, it's very interesting.

Dave

0 0 0

9. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbanjo View Post

You also need to use gloves at the fuel station to stop your hands stinking of diesel and there is a smell of sulphur from the exhaust sometimes.
    Can't say as this has ever been an issue for me.

I echo the diesel sentiment. My 2.0 GT TDi is by far and away the best car I've ever had and I can't fault the engine. Quiet and relaxed when I need it, but with instant grunt anywhere in the rev range thanks to the torque.
    2010 Astra SRi 1.6T
    2004 Golf GT TDI 2.0 - Sadly Departed

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

0 0 0

10. Re: Best Golf for £10k and confusion over different engines? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deshg View Post
    Hey guys,

1)Doesn’t this make the most powerful engines the MK5 1.6 FSI and the MK6 1.4 TSI by quite a long way? Would it be true to say if you could have any of these, the 1.4 TSI is the most powerful? This seems strange to me, although I guess the TSI could do that. Assuming I can’t afford a MK6 then am I right to say the MK5 1.6 FSI is pretty much the one to go for?
    I have had 2 golf plus's - one with the 1.6 and the current one with the 1.4 TSI and the TSI is (due to the turbo) clearly more powerful.

Others have said look at Diesel due to fuel economy, but the 1.4 TSI (122) with the DSG will get you 40 MPG in the Plus (probably more in the standard) - I have just done a 15 mile commute round West London and got 40.3 MPG - and pay group C road Tax for it. - much better than the 1.6 FSI, and well worth a look if your not keen on the idea of a Diesel.

Charles

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast