Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play?

1. Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have just bought a Mk6 VW Golf, which unbeknown to me until now has an RCD300 radio (mk5 golf) installed which doesn't support the factory fitted Ipod / MP3 auxilliary connections in the centre console. I have located an RCD310 which I believe was fitted into MK6's as standard and has a 'media' button on the radio which I assume allows me to use the Ipod connections etc.

However, there is already a bluetooth capability which I can use to operate my phone off the steering wheel etc. and I was wondering if I swapped the RCD300 for the RCD310 would this still work. I am hoping it is just 'plug and play' and that everything will remain the same except that I will now have ipod connectivity.

Can anybody offer advice on this.

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I'm don't think the swap will affect the Bluetooth behaviour. My recent experiences (I'm about to write them up in another thread ) seemed to show that there is broad compatibility from the oldest to newer headsets with the VAG Bluetooth modules, so if it works now I think it still will.

The only caveat I would add is that I though the same was true of the various things that connect to the CD port. Does the media interface not work at all with the RCD300, rather than just not doing the tag / info display? Maybe it depends on that Media button?

Only other possible snag I see is that the Bluetooth I have been playing with has a 'piggy back' loom into the back of the head unit. If the media connector has the same (like Volkswagen Media Device Interface (MDI) | my-gti.com) then it'll get a bit tight behind there, and if it doesn't then it may need splicing in somehow.

1 0 0

3. Re: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, as I say I'm hoping that I can just remove the RCD300 head unit and replace with the RCD310 unit.

I've tried pushing the CD button twice to get an aux screen whilst my ipod is connected to the MDI in the centre console but nothing happens so I'm assuming there's no input to the head unit.

With regards space behind he head unit is the RCD310 unit not the same size as the RCD300?

0 0 0

4. Re: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Yes, same size I think.

I was thinking that maybe the MMI isn't plugged in since it isn't doing anything, and had been left that way to use the space for the Bluetooth piggy-back. If they are both plugged in then it should be a straight swap as you say. If you do have to add the extra connections into the loom it may get tighter, although there is a fair bit of space behind and off to the sides. Good luck!

0 0 0

5. Re: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh Yes I understand now, many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

0 0 0

6. Re: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I spent a bit of the weekend actually fitting our new Bluetooth module into its new home in the Touran, rather than just playing with it all whilst it was strewn around the cabin.

The fiddliest bit was tucking the original Quadlock, 'piggy back' Bluetooth Quadlock extension, and the new loom down to the BT all behind the head unit. There isn't a vast amount of space, and I think the rear rectangle cutout is cleverly shaped to fit snuggly around the last few mm of the unit, with a small 'mouse hole' top right (from front) that I was able to use to bring the BT loom forwards (to then run down the footwell trims).

Point being I don't think it's be feasible to put two Quadlock extensions behind there if the MMI has the same connectors as the one I linked above. Maybe the Golf has more space?

If it is too tight then since my (and presumably your) BT mainly uses the 'green' phone plug block and I think the MMI mainly uses the blue 'CD' block ('mainly' meaning there may be additional dependency on the core pins for 12V, 0V, CAN) you may be able to fiddle it all into a single extension if you need to. I think you can get bare Quadlock parts from VW to get a decent one, or a bit of snip and join on whatever miscellany you already have!

0 0 0

7. Re: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks once again, it looks like I need to take a look behind the head unit to see if the connection has been left off due to lack of room or whether the RCD300 unit I have simply does not have the functionality to connect the MDI / Aux.

0 0 0

8. Re: Upgrade to an RCD310 from an RCD300 with a bluetooth kit. Plug & play? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello guys. I have Rcd300 in my Vw golf mk5. Can I fit Rcd310 and can I use cd changer as well? I want to put Rcd310 because there is Aux input.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Spasko1707; 19-09-2015 at 11:44 PM.

0 0 0