Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I own an A4 Sport 130 in Metallic black. There are a few fine scratches around the doors and boot.

None of the scratches go to the undercoat or metal.

I want to polish them out but have had no success with normal cream polish or scratch removal paste.

I was told the best way was to use a polishing machine, such as a Cable 7424, since it roates much faster than a human ever could polish, and it slightly warms the paint causing the scratches to smooth out slightly.
    Is this true?

I took my car to an Audi dealers the other day for its service and I asked the service manager about this.
    He said that Metallic painted Audis have a coat of very hard laquer over the top of the paint, and polishing it would not help at all. He just reccomended decent black car polish.

This frustrated me slightly, I was sure I could get these scratches out.

Does anyone else have experience with polishing scratches from a metallic painted car.

thanks in advance

Danny

0 0 0

2. Re: Polishing scratches from Metallic Paintwork 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is hard to say if you could get them out without seeing them. A porter cable type machine or rotary type machine would be more effective than trying by hand, although you need some experience with these! Even if they cannot be removed a machine will smooth down the edges and will make it less visable.

All new paints have a laquer over the top called clear coat. If the scratch has gone through this then it is unlikely you could remove it. By using a polish it will remove some of the clear coat and and marks in this. I'd get a pro detailer to take a look for you (and not a bodyshop as although they have the tools quite a few can make the paint worse as they do not appear to be able to use the tools correctly!).

This explains it very well!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=63859
    Glacier White B8 Black Edition 2.0T Fsi quattro stronic - Advanced Key, Nappa Leather, Electric Folding Mirrors, Interior Light pack

0 0 0

3. Re: Polishing scratches from Metallic Paintwork 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonny232 View Post
    Hi all,

I own an A4 Sport 130 in Metallic black. There are a few fine scratches around the doors and boot.

None of the scratches go to the undercoat or metal.

I want to polish them out but have had no success with normal cream polish or scratch removal paste.

I was told the best way was to use a polishing machine, such as a Cable 7424, since it roates much faster than a human ever could polish, and it slightly warms the paint causing the scratches to smooth out slightly.
    Is this true?

I took my car to an Audi dealers the other day for its service and I asked the service manager about this.
    He said that Metallic painted Audis have a coat of very hard laquer over the top of the paint, and polishing it would not help at all. He just reccomended decent black car polish.

This frustrated me slightly, I was sure I could get these scratches out.

Does anyone else have experience with polishing scratches from a metallic painted car.

thanks in advance

Danny
    Hi Danny

Your Dealer is telling you porkie pies. The light scratches can be removed, if you are working by hand then something like this is recommended: Meguiars Scratch X You really need to work it in with elbow grease but it will remove scratches.

If you want to go the machine route then we can also supply with this along with all the necessary pads and compounds. You will be looking at the £200 region for this.

Regards
    EliteDetailer

0 0 0