9. You may not vote on this poll
  • regular unleaded

5 55.56%
  • super unleaded

4 44.44%

Thread: Which petrol do you use?

1. Which petrol do you use? 
    curiousgeorge Guest
    What do you guys use? (would appreciate if you can answer the poll)

I had a 1.8T before, now a 2.0T FSI and I've never used super unleaded.

Is the super unleaded really worth it, what are the long and short term benefits?

(I don't drive the car that hard - 4,500rpm is about my limit).

0 0 0

2. Re: Which petrol do you use? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Always use Shell V-Power in mine from the off, so can't really tell if there any real benefits but the acceleration has never felt poor and I regularly get around 430-480 miles from a tank, which can't be bad for a petrol.
    2007 MK5 Golf GT TDI 140ps Diamond Black
    2004 A4 Avant S-Line 1.8T 190ps Avus Silver w/black optics
    1997 MK3 Golf GTI 16v Anniversary Diamond Black- now gone!

0 0 0

3. Re: Which petrol do you use? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i use 'shell optimax.' also known as V-power.

The fuel grade is cleaner, richer and cleans the engine. I have always been a fan of shell optimax. My friend totally disagrees with any super fuel and just thinks it's a commercial waste of money. However i tried to convince him on this grade. Only till we went to last years london motorshow i dragged him up to the Shell stand and got to prove my point.

It really does also depend on how you drive, the time you want to drive, etc. You gain a few extra miles out of it as the premium graded fuel burns slower than the regular. Nothing wrong with regular i just fill up and make less visits a month to the pumps. You gotta try it for a month to get a feel for it.

long term; more miles covered, contains an additive which cleans the injectors. (in theory your not ment to put additives in the fuel tank. However shells is something else. If you only use it the fuel leaves less filthy deposits) which helps with the cars emissions, gain more points/airmiles using their shell drivers card, with a turbo engine it can help run slightly better as it's higher octane.
    Short term: expensive, not a shell garage everywhere (if you stick to your fav brand...like a pub that sells your fav ale), if your driving is erratic any way. Like you floor it everywhere with the air con on full and windows down it will burn just as quick.
    COMING SOON: '14 A5 Cabriolet S-line Special edition, Daytona Grey
    CURRENT: 11' A5 S-Line Black Edition Ibis White
    previous: 09' A3 S-line Ibis White

0 0 0

4. Re: Which petrol do you use? 
    curiousgeorge Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kodkod.84 View Post
    ...I regularly get around 430-480 miles from a tank, which can't be bad for a petrol.
    Are you serious? how big is your tank? Mine is 55, maybe 60 litres and I've been averaging around 375 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by tlionhart View Post
    i use 'shell optimax.' also known as V-power.

The fuel grade is cleaner, richer and cleans the engine. I have always been a fan of shell optimax. My friend totally disagrees with any super fuel and just thinks it's a commercial waste of money. However i tried to convince him on this grade. Only till we went to last years london motorshow i dragged him up to the Shell stand and got to prove my point.

It really does also depend on how you drive, the time you want to drive, etc. You gain a few extra miles out of it as the premium graded fuel burns slower than the regular. Nothing wrong with regular i just fill up and make less visits a month to the pumps. You gotta try it for a month to get a feel for it.

long term; more miles covered, contains an additive which cleans the injectors. (in theory your not ment to put additives in the fuel tank. However shells is something else. If you only use it the fuel leaves less filthy deposits) which helps with the cars emissions, gain more points/airmiles using their shell drivers card, with a turbo engine it can help run slightly better as it's higher octane.
    Short term: expensive, not a shell garage everywhere (if you stick to your fav brand...like a pub that sells your fav ale), if your driving is erratic any way. Like you floor it everywhere with the air con on full and windows down it will burn just as quick.
    Thanks for that. The problem is that driving styles are going to be different for each tank so I think it will be very hard to compare fuel consumption.

But I think it would be worth trying to see if it performs any differently (and to get the cleansing benefits). I used Forbes engine cleaner when I first got my car, thinking it would clear out any impurities built up from the previous owner - not sure if they're good for these engines.

0 0 0

5. Re: Which petrol do you use? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep truly serious- I have a very repetitive drive of 36 miles round trip to work though, all A road, no traffic lights, no traffic jams.

On a recent run to Sussex I filled up in Norwich, drove to Eastbourne, drove around Eastbourne for 2 days and got to Birchanger Services at Stansted on way back when I had to fill up again. That was 400 miles out of the tank (with car fully loaded and 2 bikes on a roof rack)

Oh and tank on A4 is 70 litres I think so I will get a few more miles.

0 0 0

6. Re: Which petrol do you use? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodkod.84 View Post
    Got to Birchanger Services at Stansted on way back when I had to fill up again.
    Next time you're whizzing up and down the M11 and need to fill up, pull off at Junction 7 (if you are going northbound - one before Birchanger) and there's a Shell Garage in the direction off Harlow, a spits throw off the main round-about whom are regularly the cheapest filling station in the area and considerably cheaper than Birchanger

1 0 0

7. Re: Which petrol do you use? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that useful tip- I'll keep that in mind. Anthing has to be better than the one at BH, you always seem to get stuck behind someone when filling up there.

0 0 0