1. Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After people complaining about Start / Stop yes that is Start / Stop not Stop / Start - BMW have Stop / Start and Audi Start / Stop!!! I thought some people would like to know how it works

Start / Stop only works when

A trailer is not attached

Drivers Doors and bonnet are closed & Seat belt is buckled (No Brainer)

Switching the system off

The Start / Stop will need to be deactivated every time the car is turned on.

The Engine will not switch off if any of the following happens

The Engine is still cold

A/C is still trying to reach the selected temperature

Exterior Temp is Very High or Low

Windscreen defrost is on

Battery is low

Car is on a steep gradient

The Engine will start again if

The Car starts to roll

Windscreen defrost is selected

You turn up the A/C to a high or low setting

Brake pedal is pressed several times in Succession

Power consumption is too high

Battery charge is low

BMW system is not the same as the Audi one BMW are using Generation 1 and Audi will be using Generation 2 all made by Bosch
    Last edited by onemanparty; 09-06-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    Current - Audi A3 Sportback 1.8T Sline
    Gone - Audi S3 Sportback Black Edition, Audi S4 Saloon,
    Why not join the Audi A3 Owners Club

2 0 0

2. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Good news and good info.

I was always told to steer clear of any version 1 stuff
    MY2010 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Full Leather, B & O, 3G Tech Pack, Adaptive Lights, Dynamic Susp, Folding Mirrors, Power tailgate, Storage/Light Packs, Parking Plus, Heated Seats, Rear Blinds, Load Rails, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner

Gone : 09 A4 Avant, B6 S4, TT, Golf GTi...and the rest are embarassing!

0 0 0

3. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that system sounds alot better than the bmw system its rubbish

0 0 0

4. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife's Mini Cooper had this (before she got sick of it and got rid!)

I thought it was very inconvenient, a right pain in the butt!

We both hated it!

I hope the Audi system is better. All the things the Audi does the Mini seemed to follow the same rules, so it doesn't seem that different?

I have heard that the Audi diesels equipped with the stop/start are a bit sluggish to respond to the start up, jus what I've heard mind!

Audi S4 Black Edition Saloon

0 0 0

5. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristle Hound View Post
    I have heard that the Audi diesels equipped with the stop/start are a bit sluggish to respond to the start up, just what I've heard mind!
    Heard from how? Only a handful of UK Dealers have driven the car - I have driven the BMW 320d SE with STOP / START and it was alright. It does feel odd but I can not see why a lot of people complain about it. After all it will be on every car within 3 years!!!

0 0 0

6. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanparty View Post
    Heard from how?(surely how!)
    Internal memo from Audi Germany. Only had sight of it mind, couldn't get a copy!

Audi S4 Black Edition Saloon

0 0 0

7. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a new A4 143 Tdi S line Exec Avant on order (manual) due for delivery in early August............ I'm assuming that mine will have this stop/start nonsense on it........ Grrrrrrr!!!

Can someone explain how it works........ ie, when does it turn off, when does it turn on................???

Can't believe that I would have to deactivate it every time I get into the car..... surely there must be a way of overiding it permanently?

0 0 0

8. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Beginning in the second quarter of 2009, Audi will add a start-stop system and an on-board computer with an efficiency program to what it calls its modular efficiency platform. These new technologies complement the energy recovery system, already standard on many Audi models, which feeds energy back into the vehicle’s electrical system during deceleration phases.

The modular efficiency platform focuses on the further development of powertrain and transmission technologies, and the recovery and storage of mechanical, thermal and electrical energy. Audi also employs a number of measures to minimize driving resistance and optimize aerodynamics. By 2012 Audi plans to lower the fuel consumption of its model range by 20% compared with the 2007 level.

Start-stop. The start-stop system shuts down the engine once the car has come to a stop, the gear lever stands at idle and the driver releases the clutch pedal. Operating the clutch then starts up the engine again. The start-stop system is quiet, convenient to operate, and fast—the engine returns to idle speed while the driver is shifting gears.

Audi combines the start-stop system with efficient battery technology and energy management to maintain functioning even at low temperatures. The system is inactive during the warm-up phase of the engine, so that the engine oil becomes warmer and the exhaust gas cleaning systems reach their operating temperature faster. The driver can also switch off the start-stop system at any time by pressing a button.

In the standardized driving cycle, the start-stop system lowers fuel consumption by about 0.2 liters per 100 km, and therefore reduces CO2 emissions by around 5 g/km. The new system is being used for the first time in the Audi A3 1.4 TFSI with manual transmission and in the Audi A4 and A5 with two-liter engines and manual gearshift. Other models will follow this year.

On-board computer with efficiency program. The second newcomer in the modular efficiency platform is the on-board computer with the efficiency program, an addition to the Audi Driver Information System. All consumption-related data appear in the center display, with recommendations for efficient driving&madsh;up to 30% of fuel consumption depends on the individual driving style, according to Audi.

The efficiency program continuously analyzes the energy consumption in the vehicle and gives the driver up-to-date tips for saving fuel, depending on the driving situation and driving style.

The newly designed gearshift indicator signals to the driver when to shift, for optimal fuel economy: A large and color-coded display indicates whether the right gear is engaged, or whether shifting would be practical for the sake of efficiency. Comfort features like air conditioning and seat heating also increase fuel consumption. A specially developed display in the efficiency program identifies the systems requiring extra energy and indicates their share in fuel consumption.

Energy recovery system. The energy recovery system already uses deceleration phases to convert kinetic energy into electrical energy. When the car accelerates again, the battery directs the temporarily stored energy back into the vehicle, to relieve the alternator and thereby save fuel. The energy recovery system is already standard equipment on the Audi A3 1.4 TFSI with manual transmission, the Audi A4, A5 Coupé and A5 Cabriolet with two-liter engine and manual transmission, the A6 and the Audi Q5 and Q7.

1 0 0

9. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now THAT is a post....welcome to the forum
    B8 Avant 2.0 SE TDi 143 Phantom black, de badged with NAV and Cruise

0 0 0

10. Re: Start / Stop - How it works 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Polisher View Post
    Can someone explain how it works........ ie, when does it turn off, when does it turn on................???

Can't believe that I would have to deactivate it every time I get into the car..... surely there must be a way of overiding it permanently?
    Please read the first post and No you can not override it permanently yet!!!!!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast