1. Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone fitted a boot-lid-mounted bike rack to their Mk 6 Golf hatchback yet? If so, what model rack have you used?
    Last edited by fishyweb; 31-05-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Subscribe to updates

0 0 0

2. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Fishyweb, I'm looking for the same type of rack.
    I need to be able to carry either 2 xc bikes or 1 downhill bike(when I can get my wife to shuttle me). What bikes do you need to carry?
    Cheers
    Michael

0 0 0

3. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need to carry 2 x MTBs, possibly with a kid's bike if one of teh grandkids is coming out with us. Also need to be abkle to carry my road bike, probably by itself.

I'm starting to regret not having specified a factory-fitted tow bar, as there are some good racks that would have been possible then. Lack of foresight on my part :-( I may end up getting a roof-mounted carrier if I can't find a foolproof boot-mounted carrier.

0 0 0

4. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I cant comment on which type of rack, but i perfer the roof bars, it keeps any marking off the paint work..

Also.. think about this..
    https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=70254

Rick

0 0 0

5. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got a 3 bike rack made by Hollywood. 69 quid. 2 straps at top of hatch, one each side and 2 on rear valance. Th valance ones obviously take no load, they are there to stabilise the rack. Fits perfectly. The only thing I may do is to put some rubber under the top straps as they lay across the spoiler.

Apparently though, doesn't fit the Gti. Mine is an SE, so cushty.

0 0 0

6. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In the end, I decided to go for Thule roof bars. And they work a treat.

0 0 0

7. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Nightowl4933 Guest
    Ooh, I didn't like the Thule bars. The foot fittings didn't look too great, and I thought it was a bit high above the roof - not that it matters of you're over 6', of course

My work provided a set of VW roofbars for me (they want me to put stuff on the car) but they're very similar to Thule - apart from the feet. I wonder if they manufacture the VW ones?

Pete

0 0 0

8. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much did the Thule ones work out at?
    I priced up the VW offering, which for the bars and two bike racks was around £200. I'm hoping to negotiate some sort of deal due to the excessive delays on my car, but it would be good to have a point of comparison.

0 0 0

9. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've just got a boot mounted mid range Halford special - I'll be fitting it to the bike tonight to give it a test - I'll try to get photos to show how it fits.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

10. Re: Bike rack for Mk 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Regarding bootlid-mounted bike racks, surely they are designed so as to clear the rear wiper? Auto rear wiper or not, people may need to be able to operate the rear wiper without worrying about it hitting the rack and I would have thought the first point on the design specfication list when the marketers / engineers sit down to say 'let's build a bike rack' would be, 'make sure it doesn't foul the rear wiper'!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast